shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on settings that cost more than stone?!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My ACA is amazing but not that amazing right?

I just got back some quotes for some amazing settings but I was shocked at the cost. For some reason I thought the stone being smaller .79 that the cost would be a little less. I mean it's not a 2 carat. But Nope. It would be silly of me to pay more for the setting than the actual cost of the stone right?

Just trying to gain some perspective here. What is the maximum $$ you feel is reasonable to house. .79 stone? I don't even know if this question makes any sense.

I do need perfect lines, swoops and connections. Lol. So love a quality setting. Therefore I did get quotes from the popular ps vendors. I am wondering now if my only way to get more coverage is through adding more stones (3 or 5 stone) vs fancy halo. Even with two new stones and setting it is still under the cost of the fancy halos and bezels I have just been quoted for. Way under.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This frequently happens because the higher end custom settings easily run $4k or more, and a lot of diamonds cost less than that! The size diamond doesn't really matter unless it is a huge diamond requiring more stones and labor for a huge halo.

I think it is okay for the setting to cost more if it is a really spectacular setting that really is the star and the diamond is complimentary. But there are settings that I would not pay that much for, too.

And, I would never spend that much on a setting if I had any thought whatsoever of later upgrading the diamond. It would have to be a forever stone to consider paying more for the setting. Because selling used settings often means losing half of what you paid.

That said, I love a three stone ring with a simple setting.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree that if you're planning to upgrade at all, it wouldn't make sense to spend too much on the setting. But if not, I see no reason why you can't put your stone in an amazing, though expensive setting if it's going to make you happy.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I guess it depends on what type of setting you are going for. I'm assuming you mean a halo.

in general all custom work is expensive and to add hand forged on to that, well it can really add up- regardless of your diamond size. I think on PS the vast majority of people will push for custom halos, especially the last 18 months, but there are lovely stock and semi custom options out there. One of my all time favorite rings on PS is LVDoll's Stardust halo that is a stock piece. I think it retails for around 1k.

For me I actually have and do spent more money on my settings then my diamonds/ CS's. But I'm a setting fan. Where as 90% of people on here would put more money into the diamond i would throw it into the setting. :bigsmile:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried looking on Etsy? There are some wonderful jewelers on there that can create gorgeous, custom work. I have purchased several pieces of jewelry there (and had some custom-made).

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two rings, and both of my settings cost more than the stones. I didn't mind, because the whole ring to me is a total package, and with a blah setting, I'm not happy.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
everyones opinion is different as I personally am all about the stone not the setting.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the role the ring plays in my whole collection. If I was going to reset my ering stone, early one, into a single stone setting then maybe I would pay the price, but much in the future.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really depends. this happens with colored stone all the time. You spend tons more on settings frequently.

that said, if you plan to upgrade. No go.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="diamondseeker2006|1396896435|
And, I would never spend that much on a setting if I had any thought whatsoever of later upgrading the diamond. It would have to be a forever stone to consider paying more for the setting. Because selling used settings often means losing half of what you paid.

[/quote]
No such stone!... :lol: ..that's the main reason I will not spend thousands of $$$ on a setting. I paid $450 for my wife's 14K wg setting... :oops:

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
It's personal preference, budget n whether or not you're willing to settle. I think a beautiful diamond deserves a beautiful setting. If I had to choose though, would choose a better diamond n slightly less of a setting. How ever there r those who set a large fake stone in an higher priced setting as they can't afford both.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1396901029|3649139 said:
I have two rings, and both of my settings cost more than the stones. I didn't mind, because the whole ring to me is a total package, and with a blah setting, I'm not happy.

Totally agree with this!

thadanim

Rough_Rock
secretagentlaura|1396918186|3649371 said:
Laila619|1396901029|3649139 said:

Totally agree with this!

Spot on. Your eye catches the stone for a minute but you one always notices the entire ring.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so torn with this!!!

It is a SS setting and I was feeling this :love: until I got my quotes back :o :shock: :oops: almost 2k over my VC quote...oye

So the whole thing had me thinking.. Could this be my forever stone and would I pay this much for the perfect setting? Or for the same money I could have a whole other ring or a few rings for that matter. Or a bigger diamond! I guess I just felt that the setting and stone should be an equal partnership. I apparently have it wrong.

I don't know now.. and I certainly get DS and others that mention not doing it if I will upgrade because it will be a waste of money.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BTW... I am not discounting the amazing efforts, artistry and work put into these pieces of art for any lurking artists! I appreciate your talent and love the quality and beauty. This is why I ask for quotes as I want a piece of that beauty. This has more to do with cost compared to my stone/size/cost and figuring out my priorities! and the fact that I DON"T have unlimited funds.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Nope, no way would I spend more on a setting. Try Eternity by Yoni, he just did my reset and worked within my budget.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it's all about the diamond.
[ In my womens' club there are some very fancy settings but what I always notice are the high quality solitaires. You can spot a great diamond across the room. It always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to think that their husbands cared so much that they got them the best quality].
I personally feel that a great diamond - like yours - gets lost in a setting with a lot going on. Sometimes less is more. Also I like the idea of being able to dress up a solitaire with stackers or have the option of wearing it alone. Once you pay for a high-end setting, the budget is blown and what you see is all you get. But with stackers you can always be on the search for a new one, thus always having something new to look forward to. I bought my solitaire 3 stackers on etsy yesterday and have a couple more in mind that I'll have to hunt for. It keeps the game going =)
But that's just my journey & my philosophy.

It will be fun to see where you end up! [I do know where you are coming from - kay1 posted a gorgeous VC halo this morning and my first thought was...hm...maybe I should get a halo :lol: ]

chrisan

Rough_Rock
I feel the same way- I tend to gravitate towards simple settings and solitaires. I just don't love halos the same way I LOVE the VC evelyn- even when they are well made. I tend to think more elaborate settings to be too busy or distract from the center stone. However, I would still spend money on a simple setting (I'm getting a VC trilogy) because I see the ring as a whole, not just the diamond, and I want the setting to look elegant and made specifically for the diamond.

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
I think it all depends on personal preference. The setting and the diamond are two equal pieces to the puzzle and the same way a horrible diamond can ruin a great setting, a horrible setting can take away from a great diamond.

I believe there's a limitation to the returns in a setting. Will a 3k halo be twice as nice as a 1.5k one? Probably not to most people. But will a 1.5k halo be twice as nice as a 750 dollar halo? Probably so because melee and the work to set them costs a certain amount and below that you are compromising somewhere. This is all my opinion of course. And I just spent 5500 on a hand forged setting :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has happened to me three times with CS rings I commissioned with the setting costing more than the centre stones!

Two of them with ruby, and one with a tourmaline. For the tourmaline ring, stone = 500 USD by Jeff White, 14K WG setting 1300 EUR and the jeweller/bench making the ring can make an even chunkier version for over 2k EUR!!!

A sapphire ring that I am hoping to get made one day is going to be the same, with the centre neon pink sapphire (about 1ct, most likely to be a commissioned piece by Richard Homer) costing less than the chunky platinum with diamonds setting I have in mind.

DK :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely.

Like SB, Laila, and Charmy, I am a Settings Person. I'll happily gaze at a beautifully designed and crafted setting for hours, whatever stone(s) it highlights, but my eyes will glaze right over a gorgeous stone in a setting that I don't care for.

Ditto DS - there are some settings that are worth a premium for X, Y, or Z, and some that aren't. I've bought on both sides of that fence.

Ditto Gypsy, definitely hold off on the pricey settings if there's any chance of changing the stone in the near future!

And ditto LLJsmom - the value stories for one's engagement ring and for RHR #15 are probably quite different... For me the former would definitely merit more leeway in that love/cost balance.

I found this quote particularly interesting:
giraffecushion|1396959525|3649630 said:
I believe there's a limitation to the returns in a setting. Will a 3k halo be twice as nice as a 1.5k one? Probably not to most people. But will a 1.5k halo be twice as nice as a 750 dollar halo? Probably so because melee and the work to set them costs a certain amount and below that you are compromising somewhere. This is all my opinion of course. And I just spent 5500 on a hand forged setting :)

I do think "value for money" is a fundamentally different question at different 'tiers' of cost and artistry. One example is metal pricing: VendorA may charge $2000 for a setting in platinum and $1800 for the same setting in 18k gold, whereas VendorB will charge $6000 for a given design regardless of metal choice. The objective value of those metals hasn't changed, but other priorities take precedence over cost - colour, durability, malleability...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results