shape
carat
color
clarity

which style non-traditional engagement ring?

Which style for "non-traditional" engagement ring?

• Mociun Gemstone Cluster

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Bario Neal Allium

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

quaxie

Rough_Rock
Hello! Long time lurker, here. Never have much to add or to share, so I never post. But now I have the opportunity to ask a question. Woot!

I am now working on an engagement ring project. I want something somewhat unusual. I keep flip-flopping between two somewhat different designs. One day I want Option A 100%, one day I want Option B 100%. I think I'd be happy with either, but I'd really just can't decide.

Please don't take into account:
-quality or workmanship or gems. I'm not 100% sure that I would go with these specific vendors. I thinking more about the style and might go for an "inspired by" piece if it means I can have more control over quality of gems and workmanship. So, please assume equal quality.
-specificity. I'm going for "vibe" here, and I would probably modify both, either, so don't think the specific details are set in stone. I'd be interested in any feedback, like, "I really like X, but only if you change ABC." Or whatever.

Please take into account:
-which just seems. overall, like a more special/impressive/(dare I say expensive) piece? (again, assuming equal quality of gems and workmanship)
-which will stay in style longer? I am looking for something timeless, that will always look unique and not dated.
-which seems more engagement ringy?
-which will be more practical for everyday wear?
-which do you, personally, like *like* better?

Option A:
http://mociun.com/custom-gemstone-stone-cluster-rings/
I would definitely shoot for VERY delicate claw prongs here. Most likely a mix of complementary pale sapphires and/or spinels. Most likely some accent diamonds. Potentially a larger diamond "side."

Option B:
http://bario-neal.com/jewelry/custom-work/custom-starburst-allium-ring-with-rough-sapphires
Not a diamond center stone. Probably a sapphire. Would need to switch up the color scheme/sidestones depending. Possibly cut diamond sides, which will probably lead to a different shape.

Thank you for your opinion!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
personally i prefer traditional shapes with non traditional colors or color combos when trying to do a non traditional ring.

like, classic pave setting with a center stone, but a color no one ever sees in an e ring. Or a a crazy color mix, something like that. setting a stone at an interesting orientation.... you know. the traditional style will keep the rings staying power, and will make have the ring make more "sense" to a more conventional observer. IOW your grandma will have an easier time wrapping her head around it.
I picked 2 for those reasons.

heres my favorite example of a non traditional e ring, that to me, has classic e ring elements, incase my description is lacking. :wavey:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1392261866.jpg

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Your first link shows a whole page of rings. Which one?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really I think both A and B are based on timeless designs so either should well stand the test of time without looking dated.

Frankly I like both designs and think either one could be that bit more special and hit that 'engagement ring' vibe -- depending on your choice of gemstones/colors/sidestones.

I think A might be a bit easier to pull off since the design is so "open," but with the right center stone, I think B could be amazing too.

But I voted for A since I liked the stones/colors you mentioned for this design and could totally picture it as an ER, and because I think B could be great as a right-hand ring as a future project.

lkredhat

Rough_Rock
I like both.

I do like the boho mix of different stones on rings from the first site, but I think a ring like this has to be done perfectly if you're going to stay in love with it. It's hard to mix a lot of different colors on a ring without it looking like a fashion ring and somewhat cheap. (But I have seen it done, and the effect is lovely).

Rings from the 2nd site will probably stay classic over the long haul; you need a really knockout center stone. Not necessarily a big stone, but a good one.

As to practicality, I've decided no more prong or claw rings for me. I definitely prefer both the clean look and long-term practicality of bezel and illusion settings.

Pick one for your e-ring, and buy the other for a right-hand ring!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'll be different & go for A. It's different but still classical & lovely & delicate. I think B would 1. be hard to have a band lie flat against it, and 2. look a little dated in time.

They are very different styles & really depend on whether you like a more chunky look, as in B., or a more classical feminine one, like A.

Both are individual & unique, good choices.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2 would be my choice but with an absolute killer color center stone. I would not scrimp on the stone for such a ring....and I'd even consider a fab cab over a faceted so-so stone.

quaxie

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very much for your replies. I have to say that they didn't really help very much, as I nodded and agreed with each comment, so I'm really back at square one, agreeing with all of you. LOL! But thank you for you votes and input.

quaxie

Rough_Rock
For the first option, I've been thinking about doing something solar system inspired, but I haven't quite worked it out:
Mercury - 2mm diamond
Venus - 3mm yellow sapphire or diamond
Earth - 3mm cab blue sapphire or parti-colored blue/yellow sapphire
Mars - 2mm ruby
Jupiter - 7mm something??
Saturn - 6mm something?? bezel set with millegraine, possibly with a halo if it could be worked out
Uranus - 4mm light blue sapphire (possibly also bezel set but without millegraine)
Neptune - 4mm dark blue sapphire
Pluto - (YES PLUTO!!! I am of a certain age!) 1mm alexandrite

If I were to do this crazy thing, any ideas? I know my sizes aren't to scale, really! Pluto is certainly not 1/7 of Jupiter! So please be creative if you have any ideas as well.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Can you draw a picture of what you have in mind? It's a very cool idea but I have a hard time conceptualizing how it would work in a ring. I can see it easier as a pendant, but maybe you can draw it to make it clearer? Thanks!

--- Laurie

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
quaxie|1396754646|3648219 said:
For the first option, I've been thinking about doing something solar system inspired, but I haven't quite worked it out:
Mercury - 2mm diamond
Mars - 2mm ruby
Saturn - 6mm something?? bezel set with millegraine, possibly with a halo if it could be worked out
Uranus - 4mm light blue sapphire (possibly also bezel set but without millegraine)

If I were to do this crazy thing, any ideas? I know my sizes aren't to scale, really! Pluto is certainly not 1/7 of Jupiter! So please be creative if you have any ideas as well.

fun! Of course ill say this, but a cats eye chrysoberyl might work for saturn,

0b1e7bbf0932649a3a48a53cc179d312.jpg

saturn.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
quaxie|1396754646|3648219 said:
Mercury - 2mm diamond
Mars - 2mm ruby

Jupiter, a rhodochrosite cab.

LOL about Pluto, yes, I know several people that won't give up on the fact its no longer a planet. :lol:

The Hubble space telescope shows Pluto to be kind of rusty tan color, so you may want to go with something like that.

http://wimages.vr-zone.net/2013/11/original.jpg

il_340x270.jpg

quaxie

Rough_Rock
I know this idea is a little crazy and not for everyone, but I think it just might work for me.

JewelFreak: Haha yes, I totally get that it might be hard to envision. See how this Mociun ring has at least 8 gems in it? We can only see one side of the shank, so I assume there are more on the left side, but maybe it is asymmetrical and that side it plain.
I want to do something like this, but with gems inspired by the planets in the solar system. I have size 7.5 fingers, so I have some real estate to work with. This gives a good rough idea of the planets order, size, color, and other attributes:
Can you kinda begin to picture it? Like I said, I know it's crazy and not for everyone.

Niel: I hadn't even thought of a catseye! That's a PERFECT idea for Saturn! The real trick, though, I think, is going to be figuring out how to get the Jupiter and the Saturn to look nice together, since those really dominate the ring. I could also look at alexandrite catseyes, I suppose.

TL: OMG that DOES look exactly like Jupiter! Amazing! I think rhodochrosite might be too delicate for an everyday ring. Jupiter is going to be difficult and important, since it's so large. A "padradscha" colored sapphire or spinel might be nice. But again, it has to go with Saturn, since those will dominate the ring. For Pluto, I thought that alexandrite would be good because Pluto is so mysterious and I think of alexandrite that way. Again, maybe I am weird.

So, I went ahead and just for fun decided to order some stuff from Multicolor. It was so inexpensive that I figured why not.
Mercury - 1.5mm white sapphire
Venus - I ordered both a 2mm yellow sapphire and a 3.5mm yellow sapphire, depending on what I go with for earth. Though this might be a good place to use a diamond, since Venus is the brightest planet.
Earth - I ordered both a 2mm blue sapphire and a 3.5mm cabochon blue sapphire
Mars - 1.7mm red-orange sapphire. This one is BE treated, but I think I'm okay with that. I also have a tiny brownish ruby sitting around that might work for this as well.
Pluto - 1.5mm alexandrite

So, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune are left.

Jupiter - I have a 7mm purplish pinkish gray spinel I bought from Jeff Davies a few months ago, when those were all the rage. I might use if this is a RHR, but I might get something nicer (like a padparadscha sapphire maybe?) if it's going to be an engagement ring.
Saturn - I LOVE the catseye idea. Maybe set with the eye east-west. Needs to go with the Jupiter.
Uranus - I have a 5ishmm grayish blue Montana sapphire that could work
Neptune - The Montana could go here. Or another slightly darker blue stone of a similar size. I'm sort of attracted to this unusual sapphire: http://www.mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=251&id=7141

When I get my order from Multicolour (should be a while as a I didn't pay for fast shipping), I'll have something to play around with for 7 out of 9 of the planets.

Any thoughts?

mociun_cluster.png

planets5.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was trying to think so hard about what to do with Jupiter for a stone that's every day wearable. I'm not sure yet but I'll keep thinking.

And yes I would absolutely do a cats eye and turn it sideways. I think you get s nice green and it would go with whatever orangy color you make Jupiter

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Cool idea! I really like Mociun as well.

So, these are sold, but they might have made have made nice Jupiters:
http://www.mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=284&id=7494
http://www.mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=284&id=7469
In the latter case I think the "stain" might have made it even more Jupiter-like.

I still don't understand what "walnut" color is, but these might make nice Jupiters:
http://gemcal.com/walnut-color-spinel-cushion-3-09-cts-1754-sl
http://gemcal.com/cinnamon-color-spinel-matched-pair-2-00-cts-2451-1

This one is probably too small?
http://www.mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=284&id=7376

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
You could also throw in some tiny diamond dwarf planets for a little more bling.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
This is a really fun idea! I like it.

velouriaL|1396840184|3648715 said:
You could also throw in some tiny diamond dwarf planets for a little more bling.

I think that could look great if there is any space left =)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Option A
More traditional and more protective of the stones due to the way they are set (bezeled sidestones and center stone is sunk into the basket). Easier to wear with a wedding band.

Option B
Depending on which one you are considering, the design looks more like a RHR style, rather than e-ring because the ring designs are not symmetrical (medium - large - small). I understand that you like the uniqueness of the design but just know that most people will not realize that it is an e-ring, even though you are wearing it on the correct finger.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1396855774|3648798 said:
This is a really fun idea! I like it.

velouriaL|1396840184|3648715 said:

I think that could look great if there is any space left =)

He could throw in an onyx for a black hole so it sucks up some space. LOL!

Seriously, I love astronomy, so this is a fun thread to comment on.

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Quaxie, I am loving your idea for a solar-system inspired ring!

I agree with you that if this ends up being your engagement ring it will be very important to make sure the stones can stand up to every day wear.
For Jupiter what do you think of Spinel_293 at Gemfix? http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html It may be more pink than you'd like, but I love the idea of your Jupiter having a glow. :)

quaxie

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys so much for your suggestions. I think this is a fun project and I'm glad some of you are having fun with it, too

Jupiter is really hard. I LOVE the ruby cabochons Velourial posted, but I don't know if I'd want two cabochons as the largest stones, and I am pretty sold on the catseye for Saturn. I'm really getting hung on Jupiter. I'm not sure what way I want to go for it. I also wish there was a good place for a decent sized diamond, if it were to be an engagement ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
quaxie|1396898371|3649103 said:
Thank you guys so much for your suggestions. I think this is a fun project and I'm glad some of you are having fun with it, too

Jupiter is really hard. I LOVE the ruby cabochons Velourial posted, but I don't know if I'd want two cabochons as the largest stones, and I am pretty sold on the catseye for Saturn. I'm really getting hung on Jupiter. I'm not sure what way I want to go for it. I also wish there was a good place for a decent sized diamond, if it were to be an engagement ring.

Would you consider a MMD?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vidalia|1396899390|3649122 said:
Quaxie,
I'm not sure if this fits within your contemplated budget, but since you mentioned a desire for a diamond, what about this for Jupiter: http://www.leibish.com/champagne-diamond/100ct-light-brown-round-vs1-74788-14495 ?

Also, various-sized, smaller melee diamonds can be the Main Asteroid Belt btw Mars and Jupiter and the Edgeworth–Kuiper Belt, the bulk of which surrounds Neptune! :naughty:
Great idea!
I was going to say I have seen MMDs that were two tone and might be perfect. BUT we would have to talk about it over in that sub forum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results