shape
carat
color
clarity

Can't see difference between super ideal and vg RB

larryjenkins

Rough_Rock
I went into a local chain store and was shown two RBs, one being ideal cut and another vg. I couldn't tell the difference very much. If I can't really see the difference, I can save a lot of money going the non super ideal route!

Anyone out there having the same troubles? Maybe I'm just unsure of what to look for.

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
Were the cut grades given by AGS (or GIA, their highest grade is called 'excellent') or by the jeweler/sales associate/lesser lab chain stores usually use? It's worth mentioning that the lighting they use in jewelery stores, especially in chain stores, can make just about anything sparkle like crazy. The real test is in everyday lighting environments, where a non-ideal cut stone would struggle

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Did you look at the diamonds in a bunch of different lighting conditions (outside when cloudy and sunny, different rooms with different lights, etc.)? Jewerly store lighting can make any diamond look nice. It is “day to day” lighting where I can tell the difference. Also, who is defining whether it was ideal cut? Was it an AGS ideal? That could make a difference as well.

My original diamond was a very good cut and it was fine until one of my friends got engaged. Her diamond was smaller than mine but it sparkled like mad everytime I saw her! That is what led me to learning about how important cut is and an upgrade!! I didn’t realize how a diamond could look and should look for the amount of money involved! Now, I don’t have an AGS ideal diamond or an ACA but I do have a GIA triple ex with complimentary angles and HCA <2. I also compared it to multiple diamonds in person and picked it because it was crisp and looked the best to my eye.

I personally would much rather compromise on clarity or color before cut!

larryjenkins

Rough_Rock
They both had GIA certs. They didn't have those crazy bright spot lights most jewelry store has.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond color and clarity in the upper four grades are graded beyond the level of human vision. It stands to reason that we also grade the very best range of cut with a similar degree of tiny incremental differences for the top grades. Some folks want to buy only as good as their eyes can see and others have a bias to buy into perfection beyond what they can see. This is often a cultural bias although sometimes it is just personal preference. Nether way is "wrong" but experts should not decide on what suits other people best.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I am pretty skeptical of whatever a "local chain" says is an ideal cut, because I've never encountered a local chain that carries any stones equivalent to the Pricescope vendors. One that carries Hearts On Fire and/or is an AGS jeweler probably would. But the standard mall stores and family-owned chains around here don't. Use caution with the GIA excellent grade, because their grade is more liberal than AGS 000 and there are some stones that GIA grades excellent that the PS vendors say are dogs, performance-wise. Can you go look at Hearts On Fire somewhere nearby?

That said, if you really were looking at a GIA 3X that also meets AGS 0 cut grade, vs. a VG good cut that might be AGS 1, maybe the stones were pretty close. Good Old Gold usually carries some premium cuts on their web site and they all have good light performance. There are stones that land in VG due to some minor issue with polish or something (we've had discussions here in the past and the vendors chimed in with how VG could be a really decent buy.) There are some PS people who chose VG cut stones. Sometimes the differences may be hard to spot unless you actually have the two stones side by side to compare, I what I recall reading.

Not all VG are going to be "great." But I think it's possible to find some that are. Also, there are a lot of pretty diamonds out there that are not the modern superideal hearts & arrows, but people love them anyhow. You get to pick what you like, and set your own priorities, even if it's not everyone's else's definition of "perfect." ASET image would be useful to see, though.

Some of the nuances of diamonds take a while to see; you have to train your eyes and brain first. Just be sure that the VG is good enough before you buy. I never saw the inclusion in my fabulous H&A SI2 until after I'd worn it for 48 hours and now I can see it most of the time but I still love it. I never saw tint in my I color OEC with medium or strong blue fluor from 1992 or 1993 until maybe 2005, when I'd hung around PS a while. I never knew that diamond had fluor until after I blackighted it on a lark (after Pricescope) because the jeweler's appraisal on it said nothing about fluor. I guess they didn't consider fluor as much back then? Also, an Old European Cut was just an old pawn shop diamond back then, not anything sought-after the way they are now.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Most diamonds sparkle in jewellery store but the difference in light performance might be apparent in other lighting environments. Unless you happen to find one where the downgrade in cut is due to minor issues not really affecting light performance, like Andelain's recent ACA with minor polish issue on only one facet.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is not unusual.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not everyone can see the difference, just make sure you get what you pay for.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Agree with JulieN and AprilBaby.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
larryjenkins|1396453928|3645849 said:
I went into a local chain store and was shown two RBs, one being ideal cut and another vg. I couldn't tell the difference very much. If I can't really see the difference, I can save a lot of money going the non super ideal route!

Anyone out there having the same troubles? Maybe I'm just unsure of what to look for.

Its all about the sparkle.. The cut of the diamond is something you can't "see" but is the most important of the 4c. It is what makes a Round Brillant, brilliant. Please make sure that you have a GIA/AGS certified ideal cut to look at to compare.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started out where you are now and started a couple of threads because I didn't see a difference. The more I learned and the more diamonds I looked at, the higher my standard for a stone got. There is a sometimes subtle difference between diamond performances, but when you've had a really good cut to consider at home and can take it into various lighting situations you will see how it picks up color & light, even in low light. Wink Jones at High Performance has a very good video entitled "How To Look at a Diamond". If I can find the link I"ll post it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results