treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
opinions on this stone

2014-03-01_21.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Too dark and windowed. It has some nice areas of color though.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Extinct, windowed, possibly has colour zoning.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's dark & has extinction. I doubt it will perform well.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Im sorry that was a photo of the pavilion.

2014-03-09_1.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my opinion depends on the price.
it may be appropriately priced for what it is.
most cannot afford a blue sapphire w/o some extinction.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1395501877|3639362 said:

That's a good point!
I think the stone has more than just some extinction though. More than half of the stone is dark. Plus it has the window. Unless it was very reasonable priced I wouldn't consider it at all.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
How can anyone tell what the stone is like when the lighting is so bad and there is no side view? Even with marginal lighting, a side view can give you a much better idea if the stone is acceptable, is a candidate for a re-cut with low weight loss or is just a dog, (a dog being a stone which is either too shallow to fix or with color zoning causing those dark areas in the stone). Please take some more images with better lighting as well as a side view, (very important).
Better lighting means brighter light from all around the stone. Cut a hole in a piece of copy paper and shoot through the hole while the paper is brightly lit. This will give more light from all around the front of the stone and light up those dark areas to give a better idea of what the stone really looks like. Try this and you may get very different answers than you have so far.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
A little dark.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks ,should the light source be from behind the paper or behind the stone?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It is all very well and good to have side pics for evaluating the suitability for a recut, of both sides with an oval, but colored gemstones are generally judged face up. The OP asks a question but gives even less information about the stone than the poor photos. Based on what the OP provided it is a pretty dreadful stone with a large window and extinction. Dimensions and treatment status, along with better photos would be essential for anyone to try to evaluate it, but given only what we have been given I would be unlikely to pursue the rest, if it were me considering the stone. Estimating the size from the photo with a thumb suggests it is not large and unlikely good for a recut. When anyone posts pictures on this forum of a stone for consideration it is implicit in the question that the judgement is based not on the stone but on the photos and the information, because that is all we have. The few spots in the photo where the stone does light up looks to be a nice color. It does happen sometimes that stones with nice color and even precision cuts can be unredeemably extinct

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
double post, sorry.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It depends, you can also afford one without extinction, but it will be less saturated, greyer, or lighter toned than optimal. I

I also think the stone the OP showed is too dark and as a result, not very saturated.

It may also be cut very deep, one should also evaluate sapphires face down to see accurate depth and color zoning. If it's cut too deep, this will also add to the extinction if its already a darker toned stone, and it will lose face up size for its carat weight.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL|1395579850|3639786 said:

It depends, you can also afford one without extinction, but it will be less saturated, greyer, or lighter toned than optimal. I

I also think the stone the OP showed is too dark and as a result, not very saturated.

It may also be cut very deep, one should also evaluate sapphires face down to see accurate depth and color zoning. If it's cut too deep, this will also add to the extinction if its already a darker toned stone, and it will lose face up size for its carat weight.

so true. and it might have great color but not "crystal". for most searching for an "affordable" sapphire there are trade offs. only the buyer can decide which trade off/s she/he is willing to make.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1395537367|3639650 said:
It is all very well and good to have side pics for evaluating the suitability for a recut, of both sides with an oval, but colored gemstones are generally judged face up. The OP asks a question but gives even less information about the stone than the poor photos. Based on what the OP provided it is a pretty dreadful stone with a large window and extinction. Dimensions and treatment status, along with better photos would be essential for anyone to try to evaluate it, but given only what we have been given I would be unlikely to pursue the rest, if it were me considering the stone. Estimating the size from the photo with a thumb suggests it is not large and unlikely good for a recut. When anyone posts pictures on this forum of a stone for consideration it is implicit in the question that the judgement is based not on the stone but on the photos and the information, because that is all we have. The few spots in the photo where the stone does light up looks to be a nice color. It does happen sometimes that stones with nice color and even precision cuts can be unredeemably extinct

+1. No mention of price, size, treatment and purpose (e-ring, RHR, recut, etc). I agree that the lighting isn't idea and would prefer a natural outdoor picture with diffused lighting but if it looks this dark indoors, it isn't the stone for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results