shape
carat
color
clarity

Obituary (real but funny)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a man I would have loved to met! Even at the end of his life, he kept his sense of humor.

Link to the story: LINK

Here's the obituary in its entirety:

Walter George Bruhl Jr. of Newark and Dewey Beach is a dead person; he is no more; he is bereft of life; he is deceased; he has rung down the curtain and gone to join the choir invisible; he has expired and gone to meet his maker.

He drifted off this mortal coil Sunday, March 9, 2014, in Punta Gorda, Fla. His spirit was released from his worn-out shell of a body and is now exploring the universe.

He was surrounded by his loving wife of 57 years, Helene Sellers Bruhl, who will now be able to purchase the mink coat which he had always refused her because he believed only minks should wear mink. He is also survived by his son Walter III and wife Melissa; daughters Carly and Paige, and son Martin and wife Debra; son Sam and daughter Kalla. Walt loved and enjoyed his grandkids.

Walt was preceded in death by his tonsils and adenoids in 1935; a spinal disc in 1974; a large piece of his thyroid gland in 1988; and his prostate on March 27, 2000.

He was born in Philadelphia, Pa., April 20,1933 at 10:38 p.m., and weighed in at a healthy seven pounds, four ounces, and was 22 inches long, to Blanche Buckman Bruhl and Walter George Bruhl.

He drifted through the Philadelphia Public School System from 1937 through 1951, graduating, to his mother's great relief, from John Bartram High School in June 1951.

Walter was a Marine Corps veteran of the Korean War, having served from October 1951 to September 1954, with overseas duty in Japan from June 1953 till August 1954. He attained the rank of sergeant. He chose this path because of Hollywood propaganda, to which he succumbed as a child during World War II, and his cousin Ella, who joined the corps in 1943.

He served an electronics apprenticeship at the Philadelphia Naval Yard from 1956-61; operated Atlantic Automotive Service Stations in Wilmington during 1961-62; and was employed by the late great DuPont Co. from 1962-93. (Very few people who knew him would say he worked for DuPont, and he always claimed he had only been been hired to fill a position.)

He started at the Chestnut Run Site as a flunky in the weave area of the Textile Fibers Department, and then was promoted to research assistant, where he stayed from 1963-72. In 1972 he accepted a position as an equipment service representative with the Photo Products Department at the old DuPont Airport site (now Barley Mill Plaza).

In 1973 he was promoted to manufacturing engineering technologist and was employed in that capacity until, after 31 years with The Co., he was given a fine anniversary dinner and a token gift and then "downsized" in December 1993. He was rehired as a contract employee in June 1994, doing the same job that he had been "downsized" from, and stayed until July 1995.

He started his own contract business and worked at Litho Tech Ltd. from 1996-99.

There will be no viewing since his wife refuses to honor his request to have him standing in the corner of the room with a glass of Jack Daniels in his hand so he would appear natural to visitors.

Cremation will take place at the family's convenience, and his ashes will be kept in an urn until they get tired of having it around. What's a Grecian Urn? Oh, about 200 drachmas a week.

Everyone who remembers him is asked to celebrate Walt's life in their own way; raising a glass of their favorite drink in his memory would be quite appropriate.

Instead of flowers, Walt would hope that you will do an unexpected and unsolicited act of kindness for some poor unfortunate soul in his name.

A memorial luncheon in Walt's honor will be held Saturday, March 15, at 1 p.m., at Deerfield, Newark.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool. :sun:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I like it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hilarious! Either Walt or his wife had a very good sense of humor. So much more interesting to read than the usual!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I feel that I really got to know the man. With most obituaries, I only get a skeleton (excuse the pun!) view of a person's life. I'll read one and learn about the person's career, how many kids and grandkids...and I'll wonder "was the person a jerk or an angel or somewhere in between?" What's the real story? I read a lot of obituaries. I work part-time for Hospice.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a great obit! I would love to meet his wife, she has got to be quite a woman. I would love to know if he penned that himself or if someone other than his wife wrote it.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1394817447|3634131 said:
That is a great obit! I would love to meet his wife, she has got to be quite a woman. I would love to know if he penned that himself or if someone other than his wife wrote it.

According to the article, he wrote it:

A Korean War veteran who wrote his own heart-warming and hilarious obituary now gone viral gave himself a perfect sendoff, one of his grandchildren told FoxNews.com.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I laughed heartily at it when I read it. He sounds fun. I'd like to think my dad would totally write something similar.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1394818648|3634145 said:
luv2sparkle|1394817447|3634131 said:

According to the article, he wrote it:

A Korean War veteran who wrote his own heart-warming and hilarious obituary now gone viral gave himself a perfect sendoff, one of his grandchildren told FoxNews.com.

I told my Dad he needs to write his own obit because none of us kids will get it right. My Mom and Dad just bought their double
headstone and Mom said that Dad wrote a dissertations worth for his side. Mom said she was having to make stuff up for her side so
it wouldn't look so blank compared to Dads. :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother wrote her own obituary and had planned out most of the details of her own funeral. She even picked the hulas she'd like performed during the service! The only addition was a song I chose and sang for her.

I really love when you get to see the personality of the person rather than bland life facts. They may be dead, but they LIVED!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I love it. ;-) I hope mine can be so colourful... and I love the part about doing away with flowers, and honouring him with an unexpected, unsolicited act of kindness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results