shape
carat
color
clarity

What does "feelers" mean on the preloved forum?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:confused: ..does that mean maybe I wanted to sell what is your best offer?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, just as puzzled as you, DF.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, it is "whether anyone would be interested in such an item and what price are you willing to pay for it that will make me consider selling it".

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

To me it means,"I am too lazy to write up a description, or take photos unless I'm certain someone is going to buy this, at a top price."

I don't even look at them.

Annette

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I think that it means that you have to pay close(r) to retail for it in order for the seller to part with it.

I never bother to make offers on "feeler" items or items without a starting offer price.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1394728179|3633313 said:
To me, it is "whether anyone would be interested in such an item and what price are you willing to pay for it that will make me consider selling it".
Yes! haha, it's like Zillow's "Make Me Move" feature. "Feelers" is PS's very own "Make Me Sell This Trinket" feature. :twirl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1394728179|3633313 said:
everything has its price or should I say "there is a price for everything... :bigsmile:

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
DF, I figured you'd think it was a place to get touchy/feely. :lol:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yea I generally don't look at those.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1394753646|3633556 said:
DF, I figured you'd think it was a place to get touchy/feely. :lol:
Yea, like a good SQUEEZE!... :naughty:

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who has posted feelers, though I didn't originate the practice, the point is not to have people make offers, but rather to SEE IF THERE IS ANY INTEREST in said item or why bother creating a listing. I always post the price I am selling and don't just list in hopes of allowing people to make random offers.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
braga123|1394761086|3633671 said:
As someone who has posted feelers, though I didn't originate the practice, the point is not to have people make offers, but rather to SEE IF THERE IS ANY INTEREST in said item or why bother creating a listing. I always post the price I am selling and don't just list in hopes of allowing people to make random offers.

That's how I've always interpreted it....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it really works as so many just don't even read those posts on Pre-loved. The best way to know if anyone is interested is to take the 5 minutes it takes to post on LoupeTroop and put a price. Likewise, I don't usually bid on things on ebay with an outrageously high price with a best offer option.

DF: Putting out feelers comes from insects that have feelers (the two things that stick up on its head) which it uses to touch things and discover what is around it.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1394767724|3633728 said:
I don't think it really works as so many just don't even read those posts on Pre-loved. The best way to know if anyone is interested is to take the 5 minutes it takes to post on LoupeTroop and put a price. Likewise, I don't usually bid on things on ebay with an outrageously high price with a best offer option.

DF: Putting out feelers comes from insects that have feelers (the two things that stick up on its head) which it uses to touch things and discover what is around it.

If it only took 5 minutes to list, but in order to accurately describe an item by providing measurements, various pictures of different angles, etc. not to mention it takes a while to upload pictures on diamond bistro...that is why many of us want to see if there is any interest or comments. Btw, I sold my bracelet with the heading "feelers" so some do read these.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
It's kind of like "I maybe want to sell this, but I'm undecided. If you are interested in it, let me know and then I'll probably sell it." Or at least that's how I've always looked at those listings. I think the term came over from DiamondBistro, and before that, the MGR "merry-go-round" of that sim stone site. Like, "I need some money but I'm not totally sure that I want to part with this particular ring / earrings / or whatever."

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like the old TV antenna.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have sold some stuff on preloved, I don't think I have put a "feelers" thread though. Either I want to sell, or I don't. I have put three things for sale that I had second thoughts about and changed my mind on though.

In general, I think it means that the person is thinking about it but they are not quite certain if they should or shouldn't do it. They want to see if there is any interest.

Sometimes people are on preloved looking for certain things and they can't find it, but then someone else puts a "feelers" thread and one thing leads to another and BOOM, nine months later, there's a baby. :bigsmile:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
and BOOM, nine months later, there's a baby. :bigsmile:
Now, that's a scary thought. No more visits to the Preloved section for me. :lol:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As "Feeler" threads are not actually "For Sale" threads, my view is that they are inappropriate for the PreLoved Forum. To my reading of the PreLoved Forum policies and Ella's example listing, a thread in PreLoved Forum should include a link to that item's actual for-sale listing on eBay, DB or LT. If a PSer is only thinking about selling something and wants feedback, post the thread in Hang Out or RT or CS.

eta: oops, forgot to answer the question: "feelers" to me means "not for sale... yet; convince me"

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1394777847|3633836 said:
Like the old TV antenna.

lol, I think of what DS says when I see putting out feelers.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Re: What does "feelers" mean on the preloved forum?

marymm said:
As "Feeler" threads are not actually "For Sale" threads, my view is that they are inappropriate for the PreLoved Forum. To my reading of the PreLoved Forum policies and Ella's example listing, a thread in PreLoved Forum should include a link to that item's actual for-sale listing on eBay, DB or LT. If a PSer is only thinking about selling something and wants feedback, post the thread in Hang Out or RT or CS.

eta: oops, forgot to answer the question: "feelers" to me means "not for sale... yet; convince me"

Agree, I kinda feel the same about WTB threads. I feel like there should be. WTB forum that sellers can browse or those looking to put out feelers for can check within prior to posting things for sale

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: What does

Mico|1394832425|3634300 said:
marymm said:

Agree, I kinda feel the same about WTB threads. I feel like there should be. WTB forum that sellers can browse or those looking to put out feelers for can check within prior to posting things for sale

no disagreement from me.....

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my experience.
On many forums any post without a price is considered spam and deleted and the poster can be banned if they do it after being warned.
wtb is more like 50/50 allowed/banned.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1394830530|3634283 said:

Exactly, and I don't bother because the convincing seems to be a waste of time. I don't see the point in trying to convince someone to sell something they aren't sure that they want to. I really don't bother if there is no price on the "feelers". I don't want to waste my time or theirs.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
marymm|1394830530|3634283 said:

Just to clarify, we absolutely do not want feeler threads posted in RT, Hangout, or CS. Those posts are considered promotional and we do not want sales/item promotions outside the Preloved forum as per our policies.

Those threads are silly, but they are ok in terms of policy if they are in Preloved. As always I would recommend ignoring those threads and eventually they will go away. ;))

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I take it as I am not sure I want to sell but for the right price I would sell.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think "feelers" mean someone is considering selling it but still on the fence. So they're taking a temperature of the room. If no one wants it they won't bother, if someone really wants it they can get a higher asking price before disclosing their price.

DS was talking about eBay. I just wanted to say I HATE things that start off at zero yet have a reserve. Post our minimum bid the reserve then and stop wasting everyone time.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
braga123|1394761086|3633671 said:

That's what I thought it was for.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's from people who are too lazy to do a complete listing with pics, description, etc. but they still want to gauge interest. I say either decide to sell and give it 100% effort, or don't bother.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's odd that so many people are worked up over feelers. Who would've guessed. I am not a fan of every type of post so what I do is just ignore them. But people seem so opinionated about these feeler posts, one would think they are criminal, offensive or in poor taste. Just saying.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results