shape
carat
color
clarity

CS Mineral specimen or cutting material? Please help - pics!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Please bear with me here - this is a long story...

I have a box of mineral specimens that has been in my family for some years (50ish I believe). Unfortunately, we know very little about the specimens, as the person who actually collected them has passed. I've had them in my possession for about a year now and am finally trying to see what I can find out.

Most of the specimens seem pretty easy to identify - lapis, green tourmaline, what I think is probably rose quartz, another tourmaline, etc etc. These are pretty heavily included to my extremely inexperienced eye - I've begun developing my eye for cut gems over the last couple of years, but I know absolutely *nothing* about gem rough.

However, one of the specimens is a bit more interesting. I was told by my father awhile back that he once had this small collection looked at, and the man who looked at it told him that one of the specimens he had was "worth a small fortune". The man didn't want to elaborate; he did not tell my dad what he thought the material was, he simply told him that if he decided to sell, to let him know. (This was a good 30 years ago?). We are not sure what type of specimen it is - my dad never had it looked at again. So we have no clue what the man meant by "a small fortune" - $100? $500? $5000?

Maybe six months or so ago, I emailed some pics of the specimen to my jeweler/gem seller/friend, and she showed the pics to a well known gem seller here on PS; she also showed them to her friend that works in a New York gem lab. The friend and the gem seller had a matching opinion on what the specimen actually is, but I won't tell it here just yet, as I'd like to see if anyone has any thoughts here before being influenced by me :)

The piece weights 12.4 ounces and is rather large; I couldn't find my measuring tape today, but one side is at least 4 inches long, and it's close to the size of my hand when I make a fist.

The color of most of the piece is a lovely pale pink. There is one section that looks different; it appears to be a very pale green color. I'm not sure if this is the same type of specimen or possibly another type growing onto each other? The texture of the green rock looks different as well. There is also a small section of white/colorless area that looks similar to the green section in consistency. These two areas do not appear to be viable gem material but they make up the smaller portion of the specimen. There are little rainbow flashes all over the piece, which you can see in a couple of the pics. There are largish areas of the pink portion which look very clean to my eye. Very clean as in possibly cutting material. There are several large chunky areas like that on at least one side. It's a bit hard to tell from the pics bc the inclusions deeper inside show through to the cleaner outside areas.

So my questions are: what do you think it could be? And if it is something valuable, what's the best way to go about selling it - should I market this towards mineral sellers/collectors or towards gem cutters? I completely understand that no one can tell me what it is just by looking and my scarce info :). I'm really more interested to learn if anyone knows how I might be able to determine if this is gem cutting worthy material or if it should be left alone. I'm hesitant to mail it in to a lab on the chance that it actually IS worth something - if it were worth a few hundred dollars it wouldn't bother me much, but what if it were worth a few thousand? That makes me nervous. Mainly, I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what it's worth, or even really what it is , don't worry ;-). But with that said, any help would be appreciated. If it is actually worth something more than, say, a few hundred, I'd be interested in possibly selling it, and at this point I'm just looking to get pointed in the right direction. I am in no rush; just trying to get some idea of where to even begin. (I have sold out of my collection on eBay, LT, etc - I've actually sold on eBay for probably 10 years or so, out of my personal collections. This is such a foreign thing to me though that I'm not sure what the best venue would be, if we even get to that point, of course).

Thanks for looking and hopefully getting all the way through this!

LOTS of pics coming, from different angles, all in natural lighting (varying degrees of sunlight).

_15222.jpg

_15223.jpg

_15224.jpg

_15225.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Re: CS Mineral specimen or cutting material? Please help - p

More - you can see the small green section in these pics.

_15226.jpg

_15227.jpg

_15228.jpg

_15229.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Hand pics

_15230.jpg

_15231.jpg

_15232.jpg

_15233.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Couple of "rainbow" pics :). The last pic looks very pale. The color is actually very pale but is probably on the middle of the darker looking pics and this palest one.

_15234.jpg

_15235.jpg

_15236.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

That's it for now. If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer. Thanks in advance for any helpful comments!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hands down the coolest rough I've seen in a while, as I just love that color.

Two suggestions for you: one is the online Gemology site aimed at those in the gemology field ;)) The other is the FB groups you are active in. One of them is a What's it Worth group and some of those guys specialize in specimens. They will help you narrow it down quite a bit. Someone would likely need to see that in hand and/or polish an area to be able to see into the stone to determine its suitability as facet grade.

But its so cool - what a story! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, and one more thing: if you do decide to go to the online Gemology site, don't be put off if they let you know, in no uncertain terms, that they can't tell anything via photos; its such a reflex, they can't help themselves! Once you've acknowledged that, many will jump in and offer you help...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

katharath

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux|1393199043|3621446 said:
Hands down the coolest rough I've seen in a while, as I just love that color.

Two suggestions for you: one is the online Gemology site aimed at those in the gemology field ;)) The other is the FB groups you are active in. One of them is a What's it Worth group and some of those guys specialize in specimens. They will help you narrow it down quite a bit. Someone would likely need to see that in hand and/or polish an area to be able to see into the stone to determine its suitability as facet grade.

But its so cool - what a story! :appl:

Thank you so much! Very helpful!! I do appreciate what you mean about the general attitude people have towards posts like these - I know it's so annoying when people come on and ask "what is this? Just look at my pics and tell me ", lol. I have to admit that this is partly why I didn't post about this sooner; I didn't want to be one of those people who should know better than to start a post like this! But I'm really just hoping to get enough info to choose what my next step should be.

Anyway - thank you again, I will definitely look into those groups and ask for help.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

VapidLapid|1393199918|3621461 said:

Thank you VL! I appreciate your opinion very much. That's a great link, there are some beautiful pieces in there.

I don't want to say just yet what I think it is, just in case anyone else wants to "guess" as well - but I will definitely post what I was told later on.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

LOVE the iridescence that shows up in spots! The flat 'facet's' look to be natural as on a crystal.....is that what it looks like in hand (not the generic rougher areas). Sure is interesting and it's such a huge specimen......I don't see many stones that are that big, even in collections! My guess? A huge Oregon Sunstone.......and yes, that's a gut-guess! What a cool rock no matter what it is!!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

It is a beautiful color. I have no experience with rough, to my regret -- but spent about 40 minutes looking at various gem roughs online. Sunstone was one of my guesses too. Sapphire looks similar too. (What if it's a giant padparascha? :appl: :appl: ) It looks like it was laid down in layers, really interesting formation.

I'm dying of curiosity, Katharath!

--- Laurie

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The dollar worth thickens some more--I didn't consider sapphire, but can see that too. You are going to have people waiting for the update and educated guess you received from your friends!! (impatiently...speaking just for myself!)

katharath

Ideal_Rock

digdeep|1393201389|3621481 said:
LOVE the iridescence that shows up in spots! The flat 'facet's' look to be natural as on a crystal.....is that what it looks like in hand (not the generic rougher areas). Sure is interesting and it's such a huge specimen......I don't see many stones that are that big, even in collections! My guess? A huge Oregon Sunstone.......and yes, that's a gut-guess! What a cool rock no matter what it is!!!!

Thanks for the kind words :). It is a pretty rock. And it does have very flat planed facets, yes, on the areas that aren't rough.

I truly don't mean to keep everyone in suspense, and don't get too excited, lol!! I don't believe it's worth a crazy amount of money, I really don't. But I think it's probably the only piece in the collection that is possibly worth * something*.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

JewelFreak|1393203183|3621513 said:
It is a beautiful color. I have no experience with rough, to my regret -- but spent about 40 minutes looking at various gem roughs online. Sunstone was one of my guesses too. Sapphire looks similar too. (What if it's a giant padparascha? :appl: :appl: ) It looks like it was laid down in layers, really interesting formation.

I'm dying of curiosity, Katharath!

--- Laurie

Thanks Laurie :). If you want to check back tomorrow, I will post what I think it is then. I'm hoping to get a little more traffic in here by tomorrow ( since it's the weekend and typically slower) - hopefully some gem cutters or mineral collectors will take a peek and comment. But I won't drag this out too long, I will post tomorrow what the "educated guesses" I've received are.

I'm really very curious to know if it's worth cutting, but I realize that's very difficult to tell from the pics.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock

I would guess watermelon tourmaline.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wild totally uneducated guess? Sunstone or tourmaline. :bigsmile: Can't wait to hear what it really is!

cm366

Shiny_Rock

I'd second VL's hunch - I think it's Topaz. I've seen a couple of crystals from Skardu with a similar appearance, though they were more golden and less peachy. Does the colour look markedly different from any angle?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It could be topaz due to the colour mixture (yellow mixed with green, and some areas of peach/red/brown) but I don't recall topaz showing iridescence. Therefore, I'm thinking sunstone since it is peachy with some green and shows iridescence.

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade

I'd guess beryl or topaz. Whether or not it's worth cutting depends a lot on the size and color of the clean areas, which is hard to tell from the pictures. I think you'd need to have it evaluated in person by an experienced lapidary.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

It reminds me of a topaz pic I saw from the tucson show, so I vote with the topaz people :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Thank you to everyone for chiming in. I don't have much time at all right now, and I may not be back to post until later in the day, so I wanted to just let anyone know who was wondering - all of you who said topaz are "right" as far as I know. Topaz was the "educated guess" that I received from having it looked at via pics. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results