shape
carat
color
clarity

Protecting furniture from cat scratching

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will Tink let you clip and file her claws? We've found that clipping isn't enough - the clipper leaves edges sharp enough to rip fabrics. One of ours is a bit of a scratcher and a chewer - he's getting better though thank goodness! Another likes to jump on people's backs, climb to their shoulders, and ride like a parrot. Problem is he's 15lbs and most people's shoulders aren't exactly flat so it inevitably morphs into hanging on for dear life, claws and all!

Our cats love the S-scratcher that bastet linked. They love the almost-litterboxes too but they never last more than a few hours and I hate the cleanup!

I gotta say, I looked at the stuff on the SquareCatHabitat homepage... and I'm wondering if any of those designers actually have cats!? Because I can't see a single thing any of mine would be at all interested in. Tiny patches of scratching material surrounded by smooth wood hung at artistic heights has nothing on the side of a large, hefty leather couch :cheeky: and those towers are just idiotic, cats do slip and they'd have absolutely no traction jumping from one super smooth surface like that to another - there's a reason cat tree ledges are carpeted on the sides!

FK My Cat From Hell is my guilty pleasure :bigsmile:

MC Yeah, we're pretty much where you are - six animals = we just don't bother with expensive or heirloom furniture! So we're all set for the kids ::)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is nearly a year old (May 2013) so I don't know if Tink is still scratching furniture.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I would get a cat scratcher in every room. I've noticed if we have them the cats use them instead of the furniture.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1389280662|3589516 said:
This thread is nearly a year old (May 2013) so I don't know if Tink is still scratching furniture.
Oops.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:bigsmile:

Conned by a bot!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Just realized that this thread got resurrected. As for an update, Tinkie no longer bothers the leather couch or DH's leather chair. We redecorated our dining room and added faux leather chairs, ottomans and barstools. She has decided that she likes to scratch those things instead. They were all relatively inexpensive, so I'm not as concerned with them.

Thanks for all the suggestions, though. :wink2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay. :appl: It's always a great feeling when kitty much prefers the less expensive alternative over your favourite furniture.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luckily, mine has never scratched the furniture inside the house.

She does a lot of scratching outside in the garden and surrounding area though, and I guess having a leather sofa makes a difference.

DK :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you found a solution LM! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results