shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on 2013 PS Jewelry Trends

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the year 2013 is coming to an end soon, I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this year's PS jewelry trends! :read:

I noticed the following:
--Old cuts still reigned supreme, especially in lower colors!
--Art deco style rings
--3 stone rings w/ pear sides resets

Anyone care to add any other trends (pics a plus) to the list?! :))

And BTW, Happy New Year to the whole PS community, too! :wavey:

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
Well I hope its a fad, because it looks ghetto to me but for men's rings the micro-pave look is all over the place. Seems to be like a play on the actual concept of a diamond ring. As in "if I am going to wear some "bling" then its going to be outrageous over the top pimp style". I have noticed this trend in both men's and women's watches too.

Here is a link, scroll down, you will see what I mean.
http://www.traxnyc.com/Mens-Rings-Mens-Diamond-Rings-5.html

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I've seen a lot of spinels and demantoids on the CS board, and a few in recent memory that have been on the hunt for a paraiba or a ruby, and a couple of sapphire e-ring quests as well--though that's usually standard and not as much of a 'trend.'

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have to agree with antique stones and settings being very popular here among members. Newcomers looking for e-rings are still mostly looking for modern rounds, but I perceive that there are fewer requests for princess cuts and more for cushions.

A few lucky people got long DBTY necklaces this year. :appl: And other classic pieces such as studs and tennis bracelets are still popular. There are more people buying antique jewelry pieces besides rings, too. And a lot of people have moved on from diamonds to colored stone rings.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trinity rings! It feels like every fifth PSer has acquired one this year... and every third PSer has a VC Emilya!
And french cut bands! New and pre-loved.
I feel like I've also seen more threads on unplated WG pop up in RT... not sure if that's a case of seeing what you're looking for though.
Ditto re. long DBTYs... :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There seems to be an increase in rose gold settings too.

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
Yssie said:
Trinity rings! It feels like every fifth PSer has acquired one this year... and every third PSer has a VC Emilya!
I feel like I've also seen more threads on unplated WG pop up in RT... not sure if that's a case of seeing what you're looking for though.

Yes, I agree! I recently had the rhodium taken off of my new diamond bands and I absolutely love the coloring. Not as bright white as WG and not as yellow as YG. The color gives the rings more of an antique-feel, which I love.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah rose gold, antique cuts, cushions, blue sapphires, and halos.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think we're starting to see the return of the marquise. ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1388074556|3580764 said:
thank you!

I've been saying it's coming back haha

I think it'll be a 2014 or 2015 trend, it's not quite trending yet

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

In general, pre-loved or Estate jewellery. Branded Estate jewellery.

cheers--Sharon

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Definitely have to agree with a few trends already mentioned

- Old cuts!!!!
-Lots of unplated WG or YG/ RG to play up or down color especially in old cuts
-Lots of Art Deco inspired pieces
-I think even on the diamond forums there is more CS action as side stones, halos or accent stones
-Rose cuts!! I think these are picking up slowly

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1388076155|3580782 said:
thank you!

I've been thinking for the past year and a half that the marquise is going to be the next "in" shape for diamonds. It's been out so long that it's starting to look really fresh.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momma2boys|1388067991|3580710 said:
Yssie said:

Yes, I agree! I recently had the rhodium taken off of my new diamond bands and I absolutely love the coloring. Not as bright white as WG and not as yellow as YG. The color gives the rings more of an antique-feel, which I love.

I think Yssie single handedly helped to make unplated WG popular here on PS, lol! ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How could I have neglected to mention french cut rings??? I would have already participated in far more of these trends if I only had unlimited money.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like a few years ago (in the economic downturn), simple settings were more prominent. Creative stackers, streamlined bezels settings, solitaires. Now I'm definitely starting to see a return to intricate art deco settings, chunky diamonds, not so modern as before.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there were a few more oval shapes out there, maybe inspired by Blake Lively's recent ER?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree halos and cushions in 2013 reigned supreme, rose gold was in and yellow gold is slowly making a comeback as well. French Cuts were desirable. All things deco were in vogue flowing on from the popularity of Gatsby at the beginning of the year.... a scramble for emeralds, ovals and three stones rounded out the end of of the 2013.....

2014 - antiques will continue to be popular, as will the cushion, I agree we are going to see a comeback of the Marquise and maybe the heart as well.... Asschers and emeralds will continue to be in, people will be looking for antique stones of different shapes Rovials, antique pears, and antique marquise will be highly sort after as will new perfectly cut OECS and Antique Cushions. I think we will see more three stone rings emeralds x 3, RBs and pears, 3 x RBs and 3 x OECs, Asschers and emeralds with traps, 3 x cushions....

Pinks and reds will dominate coloured stones in Australia, but might have had their run in the US we are behind you guys in coloured items.

And unless I am badly mistaken larger diamonds are becoming the P/S norm..... Bigger RBs, sizeable Antique Cushions and in particular larger OECs.

blondie~

Rough_Rock
Old cuts. I see more and more on this forum of this. Love following these trends. Appreciate the photos of members finds and creations.

Also, non traditional, emerging pearls: soufflés, metallics, bead nucleated pearls, large tailed shapes, coins and keshis. The pearl folks sure love expanding beyond round. The pearls are getting larger. Combination of gemstones with pearls in pieces. So interesting to follow. Affordable at present too.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1388236837|3581807 said:
And unless I am badly mistaken larger diamonds are becoming the P/S norm..... Bigger RBs, sizeable Antique Cushions and in particular larger OECs.

+1! Have seen a lot more 3-6 carat center stones this year (on PS at least :D ), and I think that trend is going to continue.

ETA: I hope it continues so I can live vicariously through you! :lol:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1388095710|3580971 said:
thank you!

I've been thinking for the past year and a half that the marquise is going to be the next "in" shape for diamonds. It's been out so long that it's starting to look really fresh.

It's about time! I have some gorgeous ones that people don't seem to appreciate. :bigsmile:

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Reappearance of Princess Diana's sapphire engagement ring on Kate Middleton's finger seems to have started a trend in sapphire engagement rings. I see quite a few posts on Color Stone forum asking for help with looking for a sapphire for engagement ring. Rubies also are getting popular as engagement rings.

Agree with the big old cut diamonds and Art Deco trends.

AN

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
And carre cuts too--I think I remember quite a few of those!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just noticed there are quite a few PS'ers wearing Cartier Love bracelets (as seen in the SMTB bracelet thread)!

Erika--Thanks for linking my thread to "The Pricescope Highlights from 2013"! :))

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1388348457|3582618 said:
distracts|1388095710|3580971 said:
thank you!

It's about time! I have some gorgeous ones that people don't seem to appreciate. :bigsmile:

Yes please! I'm working on a marquise project as we speak!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
mom2boys|1388468903|3583589 said:
Just noticed there are quite a few PS'ers wearing Cartier Love bracelets (as seen in the SMTB bracelet thread)!

Erika--Thanks for linking my thread to "The Pricescope Highlights from 2013"! :))

Woa I log in pricescope and my ring is winking at me from the corner :razz:

Thanks Erika for featuring my AC again!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1388501198|3583738 said:
mom2boys|1388468903|3583589 said:

Woa I log in pricescope and my ring is winking at me from the corner :razz:

Thanks Erika for featuring my AC again!

SB--It would be hard not to miss a 5 ct rock like yours on every PS page! :sun: :cheeky: :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
- delicate halo's

- intricate vintage inspired (halo) settings with tapered shanks:

_13300.jpg

_13301.jpg

_13302.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
- Old cuts

- Warm diamonds (and sometimes afterwards regretting it)

- Large is the new small:

_13303.jpg

_13304.jpg

_13305.jpg

_13306.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results