carat
color
clarity

How to choose an ering design - hand holding needed, please

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Re: How to choose an ering design - hand holding needed, ple

Lady_Disdain|1387541599|3577983 said:
My very long term boyfriend convinced me to marry (no, he wasn't the problem, I just didn't see the point of it). I just now realized one thing: wedding rings! Yes, I am a little slow. Of course, I am going to make mine (he has chosen not to wear one).

Now, engagement rings are unheard of here and most wedding rings are plain gold bands (with maybe a flush set diamond for the lady). Of course, that will not do! I want a cool special ring. However, it should fit into my life, it should be nice enough for a fancy opera night, I shouldn't tire of the design after a year (I am so guilty of this!) and it should use stones I already have (tight budget - it is hard to justify an expensive ring that is not the custom when there is also an interstate move involved, educational costs, etc).

Once I consider all of that, it seems that there just isn't a design that will work. If I choose a coloured stone, I am afraid that it won't always look good with my outfits (despite my limited wardrobe colours of grey, wine, blue and green) or that I will tire of it. I love delicate designs but they tend to look disproportionate on my large fingers (I wish I had my sister's slim fingers so I could wear a set very similar to the one I made for her but with a diamond band instead of the rope). I am really afraid that I won't be able to stand the ring after a year, when I really don't want to upgrade/change it.

So, how did you ladies choose a wedding/engagement ring?

Ok, I am kind of freaking out (and, yes, it isn't only about the ring). Throw me some reassurances and share your thoughts, please.

How about a montana sapphire in "denim" blue? That would go with most colors and it would be different. Or an OMC in an off white?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

SouthernSunset|1387916376|3580072 said:
So sorry to hear about your mother. I spent Christmas in the ICU with my father a few years ago so I know how that can be. Glad that they're moving her out though, very positive. Best wishes to you and your family during this time.

And of course good luck on the ring! I'm a newbie so I can't offer much in the way of style or ideas but I can promise I will lurk and follow through the design process and gush once the ring is made. :]
Oh I just saw the rest of the posts. Sorry about your mother. I hope she feels better very soon.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thank you, Innerkitten. She is out of ICU now and in a room but she she is getting treatment for tuberculosis, so she is staying for 7 more days, at least.

We narrowed down the choices for wedding ring:

1- Moebius ring with pave diamond on the twist
2- 3 ring set: wide, florentine finish, domed band with two delicate eternity rings flanking it (this one would stretch the budget but I really like the look)
3- 3 strand crossover ring with pave diamond on the top strand

Metal will be either rose or yellow 18k gold. 22k would be an alternative for option 2. I am tending towards either 1 or 2, 3 is the least favourite at the moment (although it was the first place a couple of days ago).

p1020062.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Of these choices, I like the symbolic significance of the Moebius. And it looks like it wouldn't stretch the budget like the wide band would.

Sorry to hear about your mother, but I'm glad she's doing better!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I also really like Davi's idea of the three stacking bands with different numbers of stones. That would look really cool: one rose gold with light blue stones, a grey gold with pink and an apricot or green gold one, with coordinating stones.

Chrono, I tried matching the ruby (a 5mm stone) with a diamond. I found the contrast between the precision cut and an old cut a bit too much for me.

Starzin - I love the center ring in the top row, with the mismatched diamonds. Very cool! Han Meevis is one of my jewelry heroes - his fused metal pieces are gorgeous.

I think I may skip the ering and just, eventually, make a really nice right hand ring for myself. But here are the top choices for stones. The photos aren't great. I am tending to set the brown diamond in rose gold, with a pave band, one of the emerald cuts in a split shank or the pink tourmaline in a delicate pave ring. I am also in love with the rose cut diamond on DiamondBistro! Gorgeous stone.

p1020052.jpg

p1020054.jpg

p1020060.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LadyD,
I wish your mother a quick and full recovery.

As for the ring, the simpler the design, the more classic it will be. Although I like the 3 band ring, it seems a bit much for 24/7/365 wear. I agree that having simpler band with multiple RHRs is the way to go. :devil: :bigsmile: I like the moebius band and interlocked double band ring (significance of 2 lives intertwined).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It seems to me that the moebius strip ring would only be as good as the design. Right now, it is so subtle, that I'm afraid when worn, it might read as just some pave on the area of a gold ring where it twists (almost like the recipient wanted the look of diamonds, but couldn't afford a stone), so instead, if I were you, I would emphasize more the neverending aspect of the ring and have more pave incorporated into the design. I also really like your budget pusher. :)) I've always been a sucker for wide gold bands, especially if the gold is not too thick - almost like a cuff look for a bracelet. And I love the two delicate eternities for more meaning and ability to dress it up or down.

Tell me - would you like something in the style that you design and make or are you looking for a departure from your style?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

I'm sorry you had the worry of your mother's illness and trust that she is getting better rapidly. Lots of dust for you both.
Starzin - I love the center ring in the top row, with the mismatched diamonds. Very cool! Han Meevis is one of my jewelry heroes - his fused metal pieces are gorgeous.
I've seen it done more elegantly (but of course can't find it when I want it). I absolutely adore his carved aquas! *swoon*

Really... it seems you don't need as much help as you thought :) You seem to have sorted out what you want just fine. Minou makes a good point about the way the pave sits on the mobius and there are some around which have slightly more pave (minute!) following one of the crossovers which I think looks very elegant.

However #2 wins hands down for me. In fact I have a friend with a patterned gold band and a TINY claw set eternity either side and I just love the look of this. It also gives you the option of wearing just the band most days or dressing it up with one or both eternities. They will never go amiss.

Then set that stunning RH concave pink as the first RHR off the rank - that baby needs a home!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

sorry about your mother, Lady.
re the choices: I love Love LOVE #2.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Starzin|1388241486|3581839 said:
Really... it seems you don't need as much help as you thought :) You seem to have sorted out what you want just fine.

Oh, yes, I do! I have a hard time committing to a design and I keep second guessing myself.

The moebius ring has some height on the twist, so the diamonds would (probably) look ok and deliberate - blame my terrible drawing skills. But I think the second design is the way to go. Because of budget issues, I think I will make the band but hold off the eternities for now. Instead, I will wear a pair of thin rope bands with it. Then, after the move and when things settle down, I will "upgrade" to the eternities.

22k gold, I think.

Starzin|1388241486|3581839 said:
Then set that stunning RH concave pink as the first RHR off the rank - that baby needs a home!

Oh, yes, it does! I have been holding on to that stone for way too long.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results