shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Diamond E-Ring - Price Check

DavidNYC2718

Rough_Rock
Hello PriceScope community,
I am in the market for an antique engagement ring and am in dialogue for a particular one with a local vendor here among the many on NYC’s 47th st. I’ve done a good amount of homework – but I am still an outsider, and have only basic ‘inside’ knowledge.
I wanted to reach out here for price check purposes – as I’ve read from this forum and found it very informative.

The piece I’m looking at is a 2.0ct Marquise antique ring (~1920’s). It is NOT certified. They graded it at H - VS1/2. I went in with a family friend (in the business) for a quick inspection with a loope. She said by her quick look that their rating is approximately correct, but probably one color grade less (I). I’ve pasted a photo below.

I hope not to bias you, but want to put the full picture (in #s out there):
The ‘sticker’ price on the ring is $19.75k. Before I showed up when my family friend came – when she said she was in the business – he offered it to her at $16.5k. I’ve made him an offer of $13.5k. He indicated he is willing to negotiate, but obviously did not like my price.

He keeps claiming the antique setting is very valuable (he quoted worth $4k to my family friend, and then $5k to me on the phone). I could understand maybe $2k. (there are two very small sidestones, see photo). The ring is antique (although I have no reported confirmation, just our inspection), but the value he is claiming is high. In fact, when I questioned him, he said he’d sell me the stone by itself for $13k. Not sure if he really meant it, or it was just part of ‘dance’ that is negotiation. I know antiques are a different animal, but the blue nile price for a new/cut ring with these properties is about $14k. This is Old Euro cut – less facets, big culet. It should trade at a discount to new, no? Yes, the band has value, but… That value will offset some of the old vs. new discount, but not overpower it I think. But this is why I am asking…

Please let me know any thoughts you have on the above.
Specific ask is either the max I should pay for this, or the rough lowest price a vendor would sell this for.

Also – are there any issues with refitting the antique band (this one is platinum, kinda thin on bottom. I know there is a risk, but is it low or high. And if the vendor does the refitting and it creates a problem, do they typically take it back?)

Thank you very much to anyone who can help

marquis_reduced.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, David, and welcome! It's an unpleasant truth in the jewelry industry that dealers will sometimes charge inexperienced buyers more than their colleagues ... methinks because there's a basic understanding of the facts, first among them, that their fellow dealers need a profit margin, too, and second, that their fellow dealers know their stuff enough not to fall for a massively inflated ticker.

That said, no, I don't think that a vintage ring will sell at a discount to a new one - you could get ten more-or-less identical rings from Blue Nile tomorrow. Sure, the stones would differ somewhat, but the settings? Identikit. Whereas Edwardian or Deco workmanship ... seriously, you can't get that today, no matter who you go to. And the old-cut marquise are hard to find, AND the old-cuts in high colors (I am defining "high color" as "above K," here ... most of the more valuable ones were recut into modern stones by philistines) are pretty rare these days. I'd want a good return policy if I were buying, and the opportunity to check it out at length and return it if it came back at a much lower color or clarity, but that's not unusual.

If he offered your friend in the biz 16.5, I'm betting he's aiming for 15K. That seems like it's in line with the drop-shipping, low-profit margin, assembly-line BN piece, once you factor in rarity value. I say if you love it ... bargain like the wind! Also, if you have it on hold or something, don't be shy about posting the name: some dealers have great reps, others, uh, not so much. If you do not, DON'T - lots and lots of lurkers 'round these parts.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Circe's posts are so erudite, there is little to add. Nonetheless, I would have the ring independently evaluated because you want to know if the stone is damaged in any way--which in turn could effect the clarity and therefore effects price (or even safety).

Let us know what happens.

cheers--Sharon

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have much to add other than I hope you can bargain down, as that looks stunning. I'd love to see some good pix :Up_to_something:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

As for price, I checked First Dibs for price comparisons, and nothing in that size range. But some lovely rings to gaze upon...you might have a lookie loo and see what is "out" there.....

cheers--Sharon

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For either a Platinum handmade Antique style setting from one of our trusted high end vendors or a replica made at somewhere like Singlestone you would pay more than $5000 for that setting. So what he is saying is basically true. I agree with the others around $15 000 is probably closer to the real purchase price he wants. I think it is beautiful, you can't buy genuine ornate vintage settings easily any more.

Hopefully they can resize it for you without damaging it, and having it Independently valued is a good idea.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have too much to add except to agree with what everyone else has said. Finding an antique marquise, especially in its original setting is difficult at best. If you're looking for a price check, there's another antique marquise in its original setting on JBEG's site:

http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproduction_rings_page_3

It's the last ring at the bottom of their page. This one is a 1.59 J. To re-make this ring with french cut diamonds would cost at least 5-6 thousand.

Good luck and come back and share what you choose! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results