shape
carat
color
clarity

Discovering an allergy. Good times.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I woke up this morning only to discover that I am covered with hives. And I mean head to toe covered. From my scalp to my feet. I've had hives a few times, but this is by far the worse case I've ever had. Some of them are the size of a silver dollar. I'd post a picture, but seriously, no one needs to see this. I was trying to figure out what caused them when it hit me that I've been on augmentin for a week. Sulfa drugs do the same thing to me after about a week of taking them, so I'm assuming the meds are the culprit. I went to see the doctor and she said to keep taking benedryl and dont take augmentin again. Like I was planning on that! I'm miserably itchy, but on the bright side, at least the allergic reaction isn't the type that shuts off my airways.

Anyone else discover an allergy in a spectacularly uncomfortable manner? Please, make me feel like all the weird stuff doesn't happen only to me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sometimes break out in hives when I catch the common cold. They are giant lily pads from the waist down to my knees. It makes no sense at all but there is always Zyrtec to the rescue. I just discovered an allergic reaction to bandaids. Great! :rolleyes: I hope you get some relief soon, April.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Augmentin gives me hives as well.

I am allergic to bees and didn't know it until I got stung and soon after was barfing in the bathroom of a Chevy's. And my entire arm swelled up for a week, so that was super fun.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww April, I'm sorry this is happening to you...I know how miserable hives can be especially head to toe... Big (((hugs)))!

To make you feel better that you are not alone I have the weirdest allergy to the sun and you can imagine how difficult that can be for an outdoorsy girl (well I haven't been a girl technically for a looong time but that's how I think of myself anyway lol) like me. I have PLE (polymorphic light eruption) and basically it means that when I am exposed to the UV rays for any length of time (like when I am cycling or otherwise engaged in outdoor activities) I have to cover up from head to toe. I found that physical sunscreen only works sometimes and on very sunny days I have to wear protective clothing. It gets very hot but I am thankful I can still enjoy outdoor activities nonetheless.

Fortunately you just need to avoid whatever antibiotics/meds you are allergic to and hopefully you will not experience this again. Sending dust your way for a quick and easy recovery!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was sitting have lunch at a pizza joint with a friend. the back of my neck began to itch. the itch developed in to a red burn like rash that spread across my shoulders, down my arms, and across my chest. chemical allergy diagnosed.

and let's not even begin to talk about my allergic reaction to poison oak where a lawyer walked up to me and asked me what happened to my face.........

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just remembered another-Not technically an allergy but I have another sensitivity that causes hives all over my body. When I get nervous or very stressed my body breaks out in hives. My doctor says it's a histamine reaction and wants me to take allegra 180 mg every day to help diminish the reaction.

It doesn't happen often but when it does watch out. I remember the first time it ever manifested was when I was very young (about 7 or 8) and my mom brought me to the pediatrician and the second he touched me with his stethoscope my whole body broke out in hives. He was quite amazed and said he never saw anything like it. Great, I am fascinating to the medical community. Just what one wants to hear haha.

Anyway, you can see why I don't care for public speaking or anything else that stresses me and haven't done any since my residency over 20 years ago. Some people just aren't built for public speaking and I would say those who break out in hives due to nerves belong to that group. :oops:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get hives from eating chicken. Developed this after I turned 30. Just broke out in huge rash one day after eating chicken. No idea how or why this happened but I tested it with food challenges and got hives each time within hour of eating chicken.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
So sorry that you're not well. Hope you get better soon and that the hives go away!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arghh, I feel for you completely as I have the same allergic reaction to sulfa drugs and am allergic to the majority of antibiotics (except the new-fangled ones). Most of my reactions involve some sort of rash/hives/itchy bumps, breathing problems and headaches (I don't remember which one it is, but I actually get a high fever from it), but enough about me!

I just went through the same thing with my son and I would NOT waste time with benadryl. If you are really covered head to toe, and they are itching, and it just started this morning, it is likely to get worse before it gets better. There are stronger prescription strength antihistamines that you can get which are geared more towards your reaction and less to general allergy stuff like benadryl. There are also really good prescription anti-itch creams (don't know technical name, lol). They both really helped my son out of his recent jam. For him the hives actively popped up for about 4 days (and in total, lasted about 8), even after he was on medications, so its important to take it seriously and do what you need to do right away. Oatmeal baths are good too. Just know that like benadryl (I think?), prescription antihistamines knock you out, so you will be dozey...unless you can take them only at night. Good luck from another itchy scratchy!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Augmentin has some of the worst side effects of the common antibiotics. It have my daughter nightmares. I can't take it either.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had mystery allergy attacks twice in the past year. I'd start to develop redness and hives, my skin would start to itch and burn wherever it was touching something, like my clothing, or the backs of my legs since I was sitting down. I was at work and asked someone to walk to the drugstore with me just in case. A claritin tablet cleared it right up so now I always keep claritin at hand.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Okay, you guys have made me feel better! Not that I wish bad things upon you all, but I'm not the only one that this junk happens to! That seriously does make me feel like less of a freak.

I've had such a bad couple months health wise. I normally never get sick, but being in Haiti is taking a toll on me. Different germs that I haven't been exposed to before have resulted in me being sick more than I've been in years! The augmentin was the first antibiotic I had taken in 12 years and I only took it because I had a head cold/sinus infection for nearly two weeks. It's been three weeks now and it's still somewhat here.

I just woke up from my Benedryl coma. They look a little better but something tells me that's short lived. I will see if the doctor has something better than Benadryl for me. She mentioned a shot.... But I'm terrified of needles. I should probably just suck it up, huh?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to my world! :rolleyes:

I had an allergic reaction to airborne red tide, and it gave me hives for 6 weeks, nothing would get rid of them. Ever since then, my allergies have been on a hair trigger, and almost anything can set them off. Lately, I've found I'm allergic to aspirin, Tylenol, ginger ale, tuna, crab (the kind in crab cakes, which I used to love :sick: ) and Motrin.

For example, I was drinking ginger ale, as usual, then suddenly projectile vomiting and hives everywhere, even in my throat and ears! It also makes me disoriented and woozy. My fear is that someone will sneak some tuna in a restaurant meal, I'll eat it, vomit and walk the streets hived up and confused. I won't be able to explain myself because my lips will be too swollen, the throat hives will kick in an I will die. :lol: DH thinks I need medical alert jewelry, but instead I just don't go anywhere without him. :bigsmile: And I carry a lot of benedryl.

This is all on TOP of the meds that I'm allergic to: amoxicillin, penicillin (hives, throat closing), percocet (hysteria), codeine, morphine (delirium), and nitrous oxide (violence). The nitrous oxide was discovered when I had my wisdom teeth out, and I woke up screaming and pummeling the dentist. It was all a haze, and it took me a while to calm down. The dentist yelled at me, but I really couldn't seem to control myself. All those episodes were weird.

Just last week, DD brought home a persimmon for me to try, and sure enough, my mouth started to itch, hives popped up, blood pressure went up, I couldn't hear, felt woozy, and I knew it was time for Benedryl. All that within 2 minutes of the first bite. Which is a shame, it tasted good. :(sad

So, yeah, take the shot.

April20

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1386963389|3573768 said:
Welcome to my world! :rolleyes:

I had an allergic reaction to airborne red tide, and it gave me hives for 6 weeks, nothing would get rid of them. Ever since then, my allergies have been on a hair trigger, and almost anything can set them off. Lately, I've found I'm allergic to aspirin, Tylenol, ginger ale, tuna, crab (the kind in crab cakes, which I used to love :sick: ) and Motrin.

For example, I was drinking ginger ale, as usual, then suddenly projectile vomiting and hives everywhere, even in my throat and ears! It also makes me disoriented and woozy. My fear is that someone will sneak some tuna in a restaurant meal, I'll eat it, vomit and walk the streets hived up and confused. I won't be able to explain myself because my lips will be too swollen, the throat hives will kick in an I will die. :lol: DH thinks I need medical alert jewelry, but instead I just don't go anywhere without him. :bigsmile: And I carry a lot of benedryl.

This is all on TOP of the meds that I'm allergic to: amoxicillin, penicillin (hives, throat closing), percocet (hysteria), codeine, morphine (delirium), and nitrous oxide (violence). The nitrous oxide was discovered when I had my wisdom teeth out, and I woke up screaming and pummeling the dentist. It was all a haze, and it took me a while to calm down. The dentist yelled at me, but I really couldn't seem to control myself. All those episodes were weird.

Just last week, DD brought home a persimmon for me to try, and sure enough, my mouth started to itch, hives popped up, blood pressure went up, I couldn't hear, felt woozy, and I knew it was time for Benedryl. All that within 2 minutes of the first bite. Which is a shame, it tasted good. :(sad

So, yeah, take the shot.

Oh my goodness. I am officially done feeling sorry for myself. I am so sorry you go thru this!!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
April20|1386960673|3573732 said:
Okay, you guys have made me feel better! Not that I wish bad things upon you all, but I'm not the only one that this junk happens to! That seriously does make me feel like less of a freak.

I've had such a bad couple months health wise. I normally never get sick, but being in Haiti is taking a toll on me. Different germs that I haven't been exposed to before have resulted in me being sick more than I've been in years! The augmentin was the first antibiotic I had taken in 12 years and I only took it because I had a head cold/sinus infection for nearly two weeks. It's been three weeks now and it's still somewhat here.

I just woke up from my Benedryl coma. They look a little better but something tells me that's short lived. I will see if the doctor has something better than Benadryl for me. She mentioned a shot.... But I'm terrified of needles. I should probably just suck it up, huh?

Don't take anymore of it. The list of possible side effects from that stuff is huge.

Sometimes sinus infections do require antibiotics. I hate taking them. But I always talk to my doctor about the options because some really can be harder on your body then others. I was taking one last year that can cause damage to your tendons :shock: . Scary.

April20

Ideal_Rock
innerkitten|1386966077|3573794 said:
April20|1386960673|3573732 said:

Don't take anymore of it. The list of possible side effects from that stuff is huge.

Sometimes sinus infections do require antibiotics. I hate taking them. But I always talk to my doctor about the options because some really can be harder on your body then others. I was taking one last year that can cause damage to your tendons :shock: . Scary.

I'm finished with them now. I took a total of 14 pills. The last dose was yesterday. So the good news is I'm done I guess. The bad news is I don't know how long this will be in my system. ;(

iLander

Ideal_Rock
April20 said:
So, yeah, take the shot.

Oh my goodness. I am officially done feeling sorry for myself. I am so sorry you go thru this!![/quote]

Nah :bigsmile: It's fine, only happens a couple of times a year, and I know how to handle it now. Knock on wood.

If your sinuses are still bothering you, consider the idea of a fungal infection. I also live in a tropical climate, and funguses are a constant issue here. I know it's weird, but its a reality in an area where a freeze never kills anything, so even the weirdest little microbes can breed and funguses send out spores all year. A saline rinse (in your nose) should help a lot.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
When I first got to Savannah, I found out the hard way that I'm allergic to gnats aka no-see-ums
Went out to work on my garden (new house, new landscaping) and within 5 minutes felt my chest burn. I thought it was a mosquito bite and ignored it.
Another 3 minutes passed before I was one big walking welt. from my cheeks neck and chest, down to my ankles were covered in softball size welts that burned when you touched it. Muscle pain, extremely large skin welts that blister, and a high body temp, my dh rushed me to the ER. they were so shocked that my body responded so badly. I had to get injectable steroids and take ice baths. lets just say, avon skinsosoft became my best friend and I never left my house during dawn/dusk until winter hit.

Same way I found out I was allergic to fleas :(sad

The best was my mom though. I'm severely allergic to the acidity in raw onions. Cooked isn't a problem, but i can't even touch the raw stuff with my bare hands. When i cook with them, i wear gloves to cut it or make my Dh do it, and those dishes need to be done immeadiately.
Well, rewind 20 years. My mother thought my dad and I were trying to.trick her so that I wouldn't have to.eat my veggies. she proceeded in cooking my FAVORITE Korean dish at the time (Spiiiicy squid XD) and put ULTRA minced raw onion into it.
No sonner did I swallow the food, i started wheezing, my face turned purple, and insta-hives.
Rushed to the ER, they tooled me I had welts inside my throat and i couldn't talk for.almost a month to let it heal.
Which, for a 5 year old , is next to impossible :lol:
The ER wanted to press charges on my mom for abuse! i love my mom though.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I used to get hives when I went through puberty. The doctor I saw said this was not uncommon, and at the time I thought, I'm allergic to going through puberty? Well, it stopped after I got into high school, so the doc was right. Now I just get an occasional hive or two, a few times a year.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I am sooooo much better today. You can still see the hives, but they're not welted up anymore. They don't itch as much either. Thank goodness!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent to hear. I really thought they'd hang around longer but relieved to hear that they are fast making their exit. :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
April -- Glad you're getting better!

iLander -- My chiropractor suggested a blood test to find any sort of food allergies or intolerances I may have. I guess there is a test they can do with just a blood draw to tell you what foods you are allergic to and some sort of an idea as to how severe.
Alcat is the one his office uses. They have several levels of testing they can do so you can decide how much you want checked for. It might be worth it since you have such severe reactions to so many things.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear of your allergic reaction.
My family members are sensitive so you have my sympathies.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1387084005|3574526 said:

iLander -- My chiropractor suggested a blood test to find any sort of food allergies or intolerances I may have. I guess there is a test they can do with just a blood draw to tell you what foods you are allergic to and some sort of an idea as to how severe.
Alcat is the one his office uses. They have several levels of testing they can do so you can decide how much you want checked for. It might be worth it since you have such severe reactions to so many things.

This is the part I don't get: I've had those tests, and they say I'm allergic to strawberries and chocolate and nothing else. :confused: I eat strawberries and chocolate with Zero ill effects, have for years. The doctor said they don't always work, some people need a large quantity to have a reaction. Plus they didn't test medications. Thanks for thinking of me, that's nice of you. :)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1387116137|3574621 said:
TooPatient|1387084005|3574526 said:

This is the part I don't get: I've had those tests, and they say I'm allergic to strawberries and chocolate and nothing else. :confused: I eat strawberries and chocolate with Zero ill effects, have for years. The doctor said they don't always work, some people need a large quantity to have a reaction. Plus they didn't test medications. Thanks for thinking of me, that's nice of you. :)

How horrible!

I hope you are able to find something that stops a reaction quickly so that you can keep enjoying good foods without fear that you might have a reaction to something new.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Augmentin is the worst possible thing. I had hives from it for one year. For real. Worst time in my life. Never had anything happen like that before. It was a complete disruption of my life. Same scenario as you - bad sinus infection.

Zyrtec was my lifeline. 3.5 pills of that per day, under doctors care. Gave up all but around 9 different foods. No words for the horror of the whole thing. But finally it all stopped.

If your hives get bad against, try Zyrtec. It was very helpful.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, I am never taking augmentin! That sounds so awful, April! I hope you are feeling better soon. I have many allergies, to many antibiotics. My worst allergy is to MSG. I break out in huge hives all over my face and chest. It is so ugly. I do my best to avoid it, and I carry an epi-pen. Allergies are scary stuff.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Augmentin is a fantastic antibiotic, as long as you're not allergic to it. It makes me vomit but it works very well for many, many patients.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1387197018|3575165 said:
Augmentin is a fantastic antibiotic, as long as you're not allergic to it. It makes me vomit but it works very well for many, many patients.

I have taken Augmentin several times and never had a reaction until recently. I always forget the name of it when I'm listing allergies. DS has a similar reaction to Cefdinir.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results