shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA: Change PW if you use Gmail Facebook or Twitter

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the heads up. Is it naive for me to assume that it doesn't matter if someone gets on my FB? I don't have any sensitive information in the form of messages or anything. You can't purchase anything or get into my bank account from FB. What would be the benefit from gathering FB passwords, or was it a side effect of trying to hack passwords to OTHER accounts?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

We don't have FB accounts, but DH and "A" have gmail.

We're super careful to make sure that their gmail accounts and my Hotmail account have passwords different from everything else we have access to so if there is a compromise it is limited and easy to change just the one password.

JG -- I don't use FB, but I'd be worried that they could use it in some way. A lot of people use the same passwords for lots of things so that would be a problem too.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grumble, grumble...I can hardly remember my passwords as it is. But better be safe than sorry. :(sad

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm still trying to sort this out, but it is my understanding that the people who were compromised have already been notified and will be forced to change their password.

Ginger, if somebody gets your FB account several things will happen. First, you have a Facebook e-mail. Most people don't know this and never use it, but if you send your friends Facebook messages it is actually using that account. Your account will begin sending massive amounts of spam to millions of people who currently do not hate you. Your Facebook friends may start getting messages saying things like "I'm in London and my wallet was stolen--please send $500 ASAP and I will pay you back as soon as I get home." Your Facebook account may start liking diet pills and Nigerian investment plans. You may even start posting kiddie **** on your account, and acquiring some odd new friends.

Of course eventually FB will kill your account, but in the meantime, ick.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No harm in taking extra precautions. From what I gathered, they aren't even sure of the extent of the hacking so I prefer to play it safe.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use 1Password, password management app, which can generate ridiculous passwords for you and then will save them all for you in a VERY secure vault. I love it.

I went in this morning before I left home to make sure all of my passwords got changed, and then saved them.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Changed mine. Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results