carat
color
clarity

black pearl earrings- how to start looking

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all-
I am a newbe when it comes to pearls.
It will be my 39th b-day soon and I had mentioned to my parents a long time ago I would like some nice pearl earrings.

The other day my mom called me and said she was looking at a few brick and mortar stores(can I say specific names?) looking for pearls, for me. [jaw drop tears fill my eyes] Thank goodness she called (at that point she thought I wanted white) and I like the black pearls better.

I would like to point my parents in the right direction so they can get wonderful pears but not be over charged. How to start?

I know PS has wonderful resources for diamonds and feel more knowledgeable in that area. Could you help me become better versed in pearls?
Thank you.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Happy almost birthday! I would look online at Kamoka Pearls (truly special~they are straight from a sustainable practicing/eco-friendly Pearl farm and the owner Josh is super nice), Pearl Paradise, or Pearls of Joy (both of the owners of these are super nice too). See what catches your eye and makes your heart beat fast or takes your breath away. I have ordered several things from Kamoka and PP, but haven't ordered anything from PoJ yet...haha but it is only a matter of time until I do :wink2:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the forum. Were you looking at Tahitian South Sea black pearls, dyed Freshwater or dyed akoya black pearls at the store?

Tahitians are the largest natural color black pearls. Although they usually are some shade of green but can be other shades.
You should educate yourself before buying your pearls and make sure the person selling you the pearls is selling you the items they say they are.

The education section here will answer many of your questions on grading , where they are grown and what the pearls look like.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/education/pearl-education.aspx

These are pearls from pearl paradise's facebook page.

ppfacebook.jpg

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both LitGeek and NacreLover for your welcome and responses. I will start reading up on grading and where they are grown and asking more questions in the upcoming days.
Are pearls from “mikimoto” truly better or are you merely paying for the box and brand like Tiffany for diamonds?

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Lit Geek- were you pleased with the pearls you have purchased from Kamoka Pearls and PP? Did the on line description match what you received?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
As you can see, you don't have to settle for Tahitians with only one color when beautiful pearls with overtones of other colors are available. Many of us buy at Pearl Paradise, The Pearl source, Kojima pearls, Kamoka pearl farm, The Pearl Outlet, Pearls of Joy and many other vendors.

Many will supply glamor shots of the pearls you are interested in purchasing so you know just what will be coming in the mail. You don't have to settle for studs as they have many findings for you to choose from.

Just a side note. If you are getting something custom made and a unusual color, you may want to buy a loose pearl at the same time for a matching pendant. It's easier to do it now than try to find one later.

More Tahitians from PP to wet your apatite.

pptahitians.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Hi, 16ocean. Buying Mikimoto is definitely paying a ton more for the brand name. Pearl Paradise has a huge selection and they will email you pics to compare once you narrow it down (I am not affiliated with them, btw, lol). And, as others have listed, there are many other good companies as well.

The freshwaters will probably be least expensive. If you get the top line, they'll be round. Lower grades are off round because the freshwaters are pure nacre, there's no round bead in the middle to make them naturally perfectly round (or freshadama, both very nice. "Freshadama" is PP's top line). The black ones are dyed.

Akoyas are saltwater, if you don't know. They will probably cost more than the freshwaters and the black ones are also dyed. They tend to be perfectly round because they have a bead in the center that the nacre grows around. Sometimes the nacre wears off after many years or if you go too low quality. With a trusted dealer and top of the line or close to it, that should be find. Akoyas are the "classics." They tend to have a sharper, more mirror-like luster than the others. However, all of the high quality pearls should have very nice luster.

Tahitians are also saltwater pearls, probably most expensive and also tend to be larger. They are the only naturally black pearls. also have the inner bead but tend to have thicker nacre than akoyas (someone correct me if I'm wrong) because it's regulated by the government where they're grown.

They are all very nice, so it's really just budget and personal preference. Sorry if you already knew all this!

P.S. If you aren't familiar with the different sizes and how they look on your ears, you might want to google it or measure some other round earrings to make sure you get what you want. As far as the studs, I like smaller ones for everyday (7 or 8 mm) and larger for going out or when I'm dressed up. At about 10mm, I like to put those stabilizer discs on the backs so they don't droop. My favorite size is about 11mm. Larger sizes get uncomfortable on my ears after awhile. Let us see what you get!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Everyone seems to have assumed black =Tahitians but what about freshwater? you can get some totally amazing freshwater pearls, with much colour and peacock effect in black freshwater. (and black fw can be blue, green, brown, aubergine and multicoloured too). Since you haven't mentioned budget then much of the price also depends on what metal you want and whether you have a simple or fancy setting.
You haven't said whether you want a stud or a drop style
Black Akoya pearls are about the least exciting pearls you could get -- they are just a dyed uniform black. To me they could be simply beads and yawn.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
16ocean|1381691427|3537058 said:
Lit Geek- were you pleased with the pearls you have purchased from Kamoka Pearls and PP? Did the on line description match what you received?

Yes, I was/am more than pleased with my Tahitians from both Kamoka and PP :twirl: :twirl: For all of my purchases the pearls matched their descriptions, but were far prettier IRL! My first T's were a pair of blue-green studs (about 9mm) from Kamoka and they have amazing color and luster and they are a perfect match :love: I wear them often!

Mikimoto does have some beautiful designs, but their pearls are not any nicer than PP/Kamoka.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I am still learning (how to buy pearls), but what I learnt is that not all beautiful pearls/colours suit my skin.
Think knowing which colours suit you is really important, so do try to go to a B&M to have a look/try if you can.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Seaurchin- “no I am a newbie when it comes to pearls so thank you for your summery and your every day vs. going out mm preferences. Before I posted on Sunday I didn’t even know what a nacre was.

Pearlescence- so when I posted yesterday I was at the very most starting point. Today after stopping in to a brick and mortar (a local jeweler who I have worked w/ over the years) and trying on some pearl earrings I have a better idea of what I like and what parents’ were thinking of gifting. (abt 1700.00 USD) .

icy_jade- yup going in and seeing colors in real life was so important for me. Thanks for reinforcing that idea.

So:
I am leaning towards, either a)studs or b)pearls on a chain like mikimoto’s pearls in motion.

I do like the smoothness and luster of the Tahitians and was drawn to a pair of Tahitian studs with a silvery aquamarine color. Liked that color on me w/ my dark hair better than a nice pair with a peacock color. The size was 8.8mm & the price well under budget. If I go the studs route I would like something a bit bigger abt 10 mm perhaps.

There wasn’t anything like pearls on a chain to try on.

I feel as if I need to try on more sizes of pearl stud earrings to figure it out for sure. So that's what I will do.
Have a lot to do w/ work and life but will stop in to mikimoto possibly tmr to get a size idea and perhaps try on pearls in motion.

The one hesitation I have on studs vs. pearls on a chain is will I get tired of the pearls on a chain “look”? Studs to me are timeless.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1381693455|3537074 said:
As you can see, you don't have to settle for Tahitians with only one color when beautiful pearls with overtones of other colors are available. Many of us buy at Pearl Paradise, The Pearl source, Kojima pearls, Kamoka pearl farm, The Pearl Outlet, Pearls of Joy and many other vendors.

Many will supply glamor shots of the pearls you are interested in purchasing so you know just what will be coming in the mail. You don't have to settle for studs as they have many findings for you to choose from.

Just a side note. If you are getting something custom made and a unusual color, you may want to buy a loose pearl at the same time for a matching pendant. It's easier to do it now than try to find one later.

More Tahitians from PP to wet your apatite.

I know so so pretty and the luster(sigh)!!! Thanks for your idea of perhaps buying three and saving one for another project . . . . :appl:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My sister in law was just in Tahiti and bought a few Tahitian pendants. I told her to go to a Pearl forum and read up on all the info she could before she got anything. After she was home she decided to get some studs..plain Peacock Tahitian studs..no diamonds etc. She found exactly what she wanted at Pearl Paradise for less than 400 . (I don't have any affiliation with them either ) The photos they show are the pearls that they will send you. You can contact them and ask for what you want and they will send you photos if you don't see it online. Decide what colour you like and looks good. Go try some on. I love the peacock..but they don't really suit me so I've got silvery lagoon shades. Some from Kamoka and some from a wholesaler I buy from.

You have enough money to get a lovely pair of earrings and a pendant.

Look at the sizes in a store so you understand what 8mm or 10 mm looks like on you and check out the colours.

Not Akoyas...Tahitians for the reason Wendy stated above .

Have lots of fun shopping !! And do please post photos when you get them...we love photos :)

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I would say the pictures and what you will get will differ. The glamour shots don't represent "true color". It is going to be close, but not what was shown. This is my experience. The shape must be the same at least...
I'd rather go for crappy pictures and get a nicer product, when go for a great picture and I'll keep wondering if I were delusional and saw a mirage on the photo.
In your situation it may depend on a budget which way you will want to go. I have all three varieties and they all have their own character.
Love all three of them.
Mikimoto are nice pearls, and you can go to the store and look at them, not just see online pictures of generic stock photos.
As with Tiffany, I find the level of craftsmanship is better, the findings are better. But the price is higher too. Pearls are pretty comparable in quality to online vendors.
Please keep us posted.

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
I have to say, Tahitians can be nice and colorful, but alice87's little black akoya studs from NaHoku (you can see a pic of them on the "show me your pearls" thread) are classic. I love them. Good luck finding out your preference.. and of course we will want pictures when you get them. ;))

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Yes, thank you! They are crazy cute and I got them in Hawaii, so it is a nice memory too for me :naughty:

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Ok, here is the pic.
The small dark earrings are black akoya pearl from nahoku.
The necklace has black akoya from PP. They are very dark compare to Nahoku one's.

_11007.jpg

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
An update.

Fun day.
After work my mom met me at the mall and we headed to Mikimoto. I was able to try on pearls in motion and Tahitian studs. It was funny. When I tried on the pearl studs I knew . . . that is the way I want to go. I like 10mm.
Going to look around some on line. The websites/vendors all of you on this forum have recommended are great leads and I am have asked the jeweler in my area look around as well.

He is going to get back to me in a week.

Will keep you all posted.
=)

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
16ocean|1382073531|3539953 said:
An update.

Fun day.
After work my mom met me at the mall and we headed to Mikimoto. I was able to try on pearls in motion and Tahitian studs. It was funny. When I tried on the pearl studs I knew . . . that is the way I want to go. I like 10mm.
Going to look around some on line. The websites/vendors all of you on this forum have recommended are great leads and I am have asked the jeweler in my area look around as well.

He is going to get back to me in a week.

Will keep you all posted.
=)

Lucky you that you have a Mikimoto store near you! 10mm is a great size! Looking forward to seeing what you choose :))

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
this is my first time attempting to post photos

adultlanguage1.jpg pearls.jpg

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Update:
Thank you to all that helped with input on the purchase of some Tahitian pearl earrings. The above photos are the pair my parents (w/ my input) gifted.

size- 10.5mm
color- perhaps you can help me out with it. silvery greenish?

Both the ear shot and the shot on the white paper towel are the same Tahitian pears . . . the color varies in the lighting and the blue you see reflected is the sweatshirt I was wearing when I photographed them.

I love the shiny luster.

Ended up getting them from the local jeweler I have worked w/ before over some of the online vendors primarily bz I really wanted to see the color.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Really lovely! That's a great lifetime investment ! You went about this in the right way, doing your research! Very pretty :appl:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Those earrings look perfect on you! Very classy! And you did a great job photographing them! Wear them in good health!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great size. They look pretty on your ear :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results