carat
color
clarity

Lost things

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very unique, heavy, 24K bracelet. I went to lunch with a friend on a cold snowy day, parked my car and took my gloves off to plug the meter, and there is an end to it. Gone when I retraced my steps.....gosh I hate cold weather!!

cheers--Sharon

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
dk168|1385079490|3560965 said:
I lost my mum's 5-stone wedding ring many years ago, probably threw it away when it was sandwiched between glossy magazines while I was tidying my room for summer vacation. :oops:

This reminded me a ring left to me by my grandmother. It was a diamond and sapphire eternity ring. I was only in my early 20's and had stayed the night at the b/f (now husband) house. I remembered taking my ring off and dropping it in my bag before I went to bed. The next morning back at my flat I couldn't find it anywhere. I even got a torch and was looking in the lawn outside in case it had fallen out there.

I was too scared to tell my parents I had lost it, so had a new ring made exactly the same. I wasn't earning much and it cost a lot comparatively speaking.

Many MANY years later, we had moved into the house have now. There were some boxes in the storage room we had never unpacked and figured we probably didn't need what was in them and we were going to through the lot out. One was full of old books. For some reason I pulled one out and flicked through it and out fell the ring! This would have been at least 10 years later! The book must have been in my bag and I must have finished it as I would have noticed if I was still reading it.

My gran must have been telling me to take that book out before I through the whole box away!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1385175744|3561559 said:
SB621 said:
Funny I should see this post today as I have spent a good portion of the day panicing over an almost 2 ct diamond that I dropped in my kitchen. 7 hours and counting later I'm still trying to find out where it went. :(( :(( :((

Get a flashlight and sweep it over every crevice with no other lights on - it works 99% of the time.

The other 1%, the universe is messing with you.

Circe it is the universe. I have done everything I can think of to see what happened to it. 2 days later and I'm still no where though I have torn my kitchen apart several times.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB, if you haven't done this already, take a knee-high and put it over the end of the vacuum hose and go along the bottoms of the cabinets, walls, into every corner and crevice. That way it will get sucked on the knee-high but not go into the vacuum.

ETA: The CB just said to also check very carefully under the appliances, and is there a heating duct in the floor?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarah, in addition to DeeJay's and Circe's good advice did you check the kitchen sink pipes? Could it have fallen down the drain? I hope you find it-sending lots of PS dust your way!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
missy|1385301445|3562021 said:
Sarah, in addition to DeeJay's and Circe's good advice did you check the kitchen sink pipes? Could it have fallen down the drain? I hope you find it-sending lots of PS dust your way!

Thanks Circe, Dee Jay and Missy! I did end up finding it last night. It had fallen into the handle of my rice cooker (still trying to figure that one out but at this point I'm just thrilled to have it back!).

And thanks for the tips about the pantyhose. I will remember that next time!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1385388376|3562489 said:
missy|1385301445|3562021 said:

Thanks Circe, Dee Jay and Missy! I did end up finding it last night. It had fallen into the handle of my rice cooker (still trying to figure that one out but at this point I'm just thrilled to have it back!).

And thanks for the tips about the pantyhose. I will remember that next time!

woohoo!!! So happy for you!!! No wonder it took so long to find it, who would have guessed the rice cooker handle lol. I am sure you are very relieved and thankful to have finally found it Sarah-happy Hanukkah and Thanksgiving!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I've never lost anything of significance before tonight. Once a pair of ebay diamond chandelier earrings went missing, never to be seen again, however they weren't outrageously valuable.

But tonight, I lost my grandmother's wedding ring. She had such tiny fingers, I wear it on my right pinkie - around a size 2.25? It is never taken off - I shower, garden, clean, sleep in it.

At work tonight, the lab (hell, the whole hospital) was outrageously, meat-locker-esque FREEZING. My fingers must have shrunk to the point that it fell off. I checked all the bins in the lab, plus went down to the general bin area and searched through 3 amalgamated bags of general paper rubbish. I thought maybe it slipped off when I was drying my hands post-washing.

No luck. I have another 4 bags to go through tomorrow, but I don't feel like it will turn up. :(sad

The last month has been hell. Has someone put a whammy on me? If so, can another PSer kindly remove it for me?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My DBTY pink sapphire bracelet from T&Co. It was the first present DH bought me (for Valentine's Day just after we started dating). The clasp wasn't great and would sometimes get stuck in the open position and I would catch it falling off my wrist. I realized a few months ago that it was gone :( I looked everywhere with no luck.

And baby socks. As if adult socks aren't hard enough to keep track of, baby socks always go missing.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned maybe animals are taking stuff? For those that have pets that is.

My daughters and I have long hair and pony tail holders would just disappear. I had no idea where they would go. Then when I finally decided to move my bed to vacuum under there, I found a huge nest like pile of pony tail holders! Right on the same side of the bed that one of my cats runs to when she gets scared.

I can't leave small stuff laying around because my cats are thieves! Good thing they are so cute!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1385390213|3562501 said:
My fingers must have shrunk to the point that it fell off.

I don't know whether you could ask the cleaner if they came across it while doing their job - making it clear it came off your finger not that anyone lifted it. When I was in hospital after I had had my son, I lost my late mother's wedding ring. It had slipped off my finger through being far too loose, immediately after giving birth. The cleaner, who spoke not a word of English, put it into my hand and I was so relieved and grateful.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Polished|1385463679|3563080 said:
justginger|1385390213|3562501 said:
My fingers must have shrunk to the point that it fell off.

I don't know whether you could ask the cleaner if they came across it while doing their job - making it clear it came off your finger not that anyone lifted it. When I was in hospital after I had had my son, I lost my late mother's wedding ring. It had slipped off my finger through being far too loose, immediately after giving birth. The cleaner, who spoke not a word of English, put it into my hand and I was so relieved and grateful.

The cleaning for our 6 story lab is done by three different teams of people. One does all the bins, one cleans the bathrooms, and one vacuums and mops. It's the same people every night, so we are all friendly with one another. I spoke with all three groups of people who promised they'd keep an eye out for me. In fact one of them was in the basement tunnel with me, on hands and knees, pawing through trash bags, bless his heart.

I think it is gone. The one piece of jewelry I own that is truly irreplaceable. ;(

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1385468287|3563092 said:
I think it is gone. The one piece of jewelry I own that is truly irreplaceable. ;(

Deepest commiserations ginger. My mother's wedding ring didn't have a happy ending either. It was stolen, while we were down at the coast, during the only burglary we've ever had from our house. It's out there somewhere with someone who couldn't give a darn. :nono:

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sad about all of these lost and never found things :(

I'm still looking for the diamond earring I lost earlier this year. SO gave them to me for Christmas last year and they were the first gift he gave me. The earring has since been replaced, but I'm still hopeful that one day I'll move a piece of furniture or something and will find it.

My fear is it went through the washing machine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results