shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed with my Deco ring: is this a risky repair?

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
Fellow antique/estate jewelry lovers, I need some help from those of you who have more experience with repairs than I do.

I just got my dream ring back from being resized-- an all-original French Art Deco ring with a ~3ct OEC center and French-cut sapphire "target" surround. About a day after it came back from the sizing, I noticed that the shank had pulled away from the gallery on the right side (see photo). I'm not clear on how this could have happened during a resize, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this before.

Honestly, it's not as noticeable in real life as it looks in the close-up pic. I stare at the ring a lot and it did take me a day to notice this. Still, I would prefer that the shank sit flush on the right side just as it does on the left. Problem is, I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of repairs to antique jewelry. I have another antique ring that sustained some serious damage to the head when I had a stone set into it. Granted, that ring is an ornate Edwardian piece, and I think the jeweler was probably using a torch rather than a laser-- but that experience made me gun shy. I would be heartbroken if this ring were botched. I know there's always an element of risk with repairs, and I want to make an educated decision about whether to proceed with the repair or leave well enough alone.

Can I ask your honest opinions? Does this look like a repair that's likely to have serious risks, assuming I choose a bench with as much due diligence as humanly possible? ringproblem_0.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm so sorry this happened Dulcinea. :blackeye:
I hope Circe sees this because she found someone amazing for this type of repair. At least I think it was Circe. I definitely think that needs to be fixed but you are right to be cautious regarding your choice.

Where are you located? If you are near the NYC area I would give Adam at Old World Diamonds a call and see what he recommends.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ouch! I think that is a fix that can't be avoided - the cathedral shoulder provides crucial support for the halo and center, and I can just picture snagging either the head or the shoulder and deforming the whole thing (knock on wood that never happens! I'm just imagining my klutzy self in a similar situation). Platinum is tough, but that looks like like a ring with very fine detailing, and you wouldn't want to risk it.

DEFINITELY go to someone with, a) access to a laser, and, b) someone who has a LOT of experience using it. Missy's suggestion of Adam at OWD is a good one: his people seem to have a lot of experience repairing and refurbishing antique settings and I bet it won't be the first time they've seen this. If you're on the west coast, the same could be said of SingleStone. And I'm sure both will accept out-of-state packages in a pinch ....

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
Circe and Missy, thanks so much for your advice-- and your support! I really appreciate it, and it makes me feel slightly less loony for my concern over my lovely antique ring.

I live about 1/3 of the year in London and 2/3 of the year in New York, so Adam at OWD is a terrific recommendation. I did give the store where we bought the ring a call this morning too: it's a small and selective operation run by a person who is very persnickity about what jewels he's willing to sell, and he really seems to appreciate the craftsmanship of the old cuts and old mounts, so I figured he'd be distressed to hear about this unfortunate byproduct of the ring-sizing. Indeed he was! He immediately offered to cover the repair with the jeweler of my choice-- no reservations or restrictions. I'm interviewing a few people here who specialize in repairing antiques and will also speak with some jewelers stateside. I hope to find someone who makes me feel as confident as possible. I'd dearly love to show off this beautiful ring on the threads here. Fingers crossed I'm being unnecessarily overcautious about this repair!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am currently having stones removed from an antique setting (bezels)--and both bench's I approached said "no problem", because of laser. I hope you can find some locally that can provide that service .

cheers--Sharon

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
Everyone, thanks again for your sympathies and support. After a rather anxious day of waiting and fretting, my ring is back to me with the shank once again in place against the gallery. If you know exactly where to look and put your eyeball about an inch from the ring at just the right angle, you can discern a very subtle difference between the two sides-- but I'm pleased with the job done, and feel greatly relieved to have my dream ring back on my finger with no catastrophic torch tragedies. It's too late at night here for a proper reunion photo, but even in the faintest light those facets dance! Hopefully I'll be able to capture her fire a bit better in the next few days so I can show her off in all her glory.... ringinthedark.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Dulcinea! So happy for you that the repair went well. I cannot wait to see more pics of your beauty. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results