shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent help required choosing a diamond!! Newbie

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Long time reader here making my first post!

Am planning on proposing to my partner on holiday in December and have been looking at diamonds for some time.

I've got myself comfortable with J colour diamonds as a sacrifice for a larger stone and have narrowed it down to three.

I'd really appreciate your views on these. I have until tomorrow to make a decision hence the urgent in the title! :)

1) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-250226

250226_is.jpg

2) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-250226

215506_is.jpg

3) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-73730

73730_is.jpg

Thank you so much for any comments you might have to help me choose!!

Matt

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any views? Would appreciate any comments - thanks

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why J VS1? the 1.10 has the most traditional IS, but the other two look pretty good.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All looks nice... Price difference between the three? I purchased a 1 ct ish diamond once and turned it in for a 1.21 ct. I noticed the size difference even at .2mm. but the setting I chose makes a visual size difference. If its in a 4 prong I would think the difference is negligible.

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your responses.

Diamond 1 is $6100, 2 is $6400, 3 is $6600

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
Planning in setting it in a 6 prong

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds 1 & 2 looks to be the same diamond? same Sku #... but for the price difference, it really depends on IF clarity is something you were striving to get? Otherwise for me personally its overkill, and you get less overall size for IF clarity and a higher price tag.

ETA: I just noticed your other link for the right diamond #2.

Your last diamond is graded by AGS, while they do a phenomenal job on grading cuts, sometimes their color grading can be off slightly compared to a GIA graded J. something to think about... maybe you can ask the gemologist to see side by side your choice of J from the other GIA diamonds and the AGS and see if they could see any difference? maybe no difference at all and maybe there is a slight difference.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I might be bothered by the location of the inclusion in the first stone....would you?

cheers--Sharon

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
D&T - the link in my first post was wrong, I've reposted the correct link further down.

Thanks

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone, I really do appreciate your comments and guidance

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I have no problem with any of the three, however because you mentioned in your post that you want size, I would be inclined to select the largest mm which would be the 1.24 granted they all look like they will perform equally. Any possibility of looking at any K color with some fluoro? I've also had K colors as well :)) one with Blue fluoro in fact after I turned my J 1.21 ct in, bought a 1.31 ct K with med. blue... it was beautiful... just a suggestion in case you were wanting to see if you can stretch the size chart a little more.

One of the reason why I asked if you can talk with your gemologist about the GIA J vs the AGS J. My first 1ct J was graded by GIA, second was AGS and I did see a slight difference although you can say maybe the difference of the .2mm size difference may warrant a slightly warmer J.. but I'm not convinced, then I turned my AGS J into the K color with blue fluro diamond which was graded by GIA, and was extremely happy with that size and color.

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
Thanks D&T, I think I'm going to stick at J, some of the Is just tick over to too much warmth for my eyes. As long as it's around 1.1 or above she'll be very happy :)
Thanks again for your input

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sure no problem, sounds like a J it is for you :)) How about taking one off your list? then between the two, talk with the gemologist through the two possibly side by side, even if the numbers are the same, diamonds will have different personality and one might still show a little more warmth than another with the same color grade or with your luck neither will.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Stone one of stone three stone three better stone slightly but I like size so I pick one

Crown of two a little steep

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
What's the downside of the crown being a little too steep? It comes back with an excellent hca score. Also would you not be worried by the poorer light return of 1 from the Idealscope?

Thanks again

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you are splitting hair with these crown angles. 35 is still an acceptable crown angle and still consider in the ideal range with appropriate pavilion angle. Crown angles have a little more leeway than pavilion angles.
Sorry to answer your question of "steeper" crown angle lends itself to more fire produced, but these diamonds I don't consider steep angles. But the right combination of pavilion and crown angle has to work.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the bigger or maybe they just look more prominent arrows on no 3.

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
Lots of different views! Ahhh confusing! Don't think there'll be a huge difference so need to narrow it down to 2 then choose!
Thanks for all the comments

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Choice would be number 1. Even though the idealscope shows slight leakage it looks to
be a much brighter stone then stone 2. Plus it has the extra size you're after.

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
Thanks tyty333 the gemologist is recommending 3. What tells you that 1 is a brighter stone?

Thanks so much

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
What is it people are preferring in 1? Is it the actual image or is there something in the Idealscope I'm missing. I interpreted it as the worst performing stone for that
Thanks

MattToms1985

Rough_Rock
Any last comments on why people chose 1? Need to make the decision in the next 3 hours - thanks
P.s I've ruled out 2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results