shape
carat
color
clarity

Sammich

amc80

Ideal_Rock
B's day care teacher says "sammich" instead of "sandwich." I thought it was just her mispronouncing it since I'd never heard that pronunciation before. Well, yesterday I was speaking with a coworker at lunch and she said she was having a sammich. I know my coworker is from the mid-west, not sure about the teacher. Is this just a coincidence? Or is there an entire region out there that says sammich?

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
I know people who say it, but I'm also in the Midwest, so don't think that helps to answer your question.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always thought it was cutesy slang, like tummy.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with JulieN; slang. My roommates and I used to say it in college on the East Coast; it was just a funny inside joke for us and it was usually (read: always) said in a kinda funny voice :oops:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1384381860|3555968 said:
I always thought it was cutesy slang, like tummy.

Yes, this for me as well...could it be one of those words that first sneak in in a sort of humorous way and then stick around and become a regular word after a while?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, interesting! I guess I could see it being cutesy slang said between buddies or to kids. It just seems weird to say it to an adult. Maybe I'm just weird :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1384383125|3555985 said:
Hmm, interesting! I guess I could see it being cutesy slang said between buddies or to kids. It just seems weird to say it to an adult. Maybe I'm just weird :)

+1. I'm weird with you amc.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
It is a slang term that most use in Lousianna. However it is used so often and so much that most ppl just slur it and pass it off completely incorrectly. It drives my DH and I bat $hit crazy.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
so... equivalent to the Aussie 'sarny' then?

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
My DH writes "sammich meat" on the grocery list and it drives me nuts. I still spell and pronounce it sandwich. DH thinks sammich is cool.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my hometown, Pittsburgh PA, there is no such thing as a sandwich. Everyone eats sammiches. I had a friend from New Jersey (may he RIP) who ate sangwitches.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I call it a sarnie from time to time.

DK :))

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
I think you may be able to pin some of the blame on Rachel Ray. She likes to say 'sammie' or sammich'.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results