shape
carat
color
clarity

2nd wedding -- Want to wear non-white dress

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CA2OH2005

Rough_Rock
This is my 2nd marriage and we are having Vegas wedding and a small reception with close friends and family in L.A. I don''t think I want to pay or wear an ivory or white dress. I''ve seen some great bridesmaids dresses in different colors (pretty lavendar, rose or silver).

I''d like to wear this dress in Vegas as well as for the reception. Do you think it''s tacky to wear a non-white/ivory dress for a 2nd marriage?

Thanks for your input!

Liz

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I think that colored dresses are great for any wedding, first or second. I''ve seen people wear blue for good luck, even as first time brides! I''ve been married before so when I do get married for the second time I plan on wearing an ivory dress with colored accents (either silver, red or aquamarine detailing.)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m not wearing white. I think anything goes :)

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I think you can wear whatever YOU like!! The non-white dresses are actually coming into style it seems, you can find a few dresses in blush/pink, and even some in red! I personally think a non-white would be lovely for a 2nd wedding!

Keep us updated on your search!!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I think non-white/ivory dresses are perfectly acceptable for a second wedding. I think every bride should do what''s right for her. It''s your day!!! It seems that these days, anything goes and people rely a lot less on tradition. And it doesn''t sound like you are having a super traditional wedding so I say go for whatever makes you happy!!

I maybe wrong, but I think it actually used to be frowned upon and considered in poor taste to wear traditional white or ivory gown for a second marriage? I attended 2 of my mom''s weddings when I was pretty young and was very disappointed that she wasn''t wearing some big fancy wedding dress but I remember her telling me it wasn''t appropriate because she''d been married before ~ I remember she wore a very light pink tailored type of dress & jacket to one wedding. Um, and I had a friend that got married 3 times in the 6 years I knew her and I know there were a few raised eyebrows at her 2nd and especially her 3rd wedding when she wore the whole traditional bridal ball gown (each time a different gown though) ensemble with train and veil, etc. I think people were expecting something a little more subdued the 3rd time around ~ but that probably had a lot more to do with the frequency in such a short period of time rather than the frequency itself.

One idea is to look at bridesmaid dresses ~ find a style & color you like & it would be less expensive than a bridal gown.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Like this dress ~ it is a Jim Hjelm bridesmaid dress that I just love & I was looking at it pretty seriously as a wedding dress when we were considering a destination wedding in Mexico.

Tahitian Jim Helm - for color reference.jpg

Gale

Shiny_Rock
It''s my first wedding. Several years ago I happend to be in Thailand on business and purchased several dress lengths of silk. I will be wearing a grass green silk dress, made from that particular stash of fabric. Or maybe light purple. One or the other.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
My mom wore a graduated green spaghetti strap dress for her 2nd wedding. I mean graduated as in it was dark green at the top and the color faded to very light mint green at the hem. In contrast, my stepmother wore a simple white dress with a coordinating jacket for her second wedding to my dad. It''s your wedding and you should do what you want!! In fact, until recently, it was considered a faux pas to wear white for a second wedding!

Shay

Shiny_Rock
I thought it was considered in bad taste to wear white if you are not a virgin? Even if it is a first wedding. To get around this many brides here wear white with coloured accents, black beads, red trim etc

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Shay - that is a very very common misconception - it is the veil (over your face specifically, I think) that is supposed to signify virginity. Which is why the tradition of having your FATHER lift your veil after he walks you down the aisle completely grosses me out!!!
14.gif
That''s why I''m not wearing a blusher even though I "qualify".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results