shape
carat
color
clarity

For those of you who reset/upgraded...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...with a significant increase in visual size, did it take a while to get used to the size?

I'm loving the bling, but feeling a little self conscious about how much of a visual impact it has

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes!! I went from a .5 RB which I wore for 29 years to a 2.03 Princess. It was a big adjustment. I've had the diamond for 8 months and still haven't quite got it right setting wise. I first placed it in a simple platinum solitaire but it was too plain for me. Three months later I had the basket changed out to a halo with a little more detail, but it's still not quite right. I'm going to a Simon G trunk show in December to see if I can find a setting that's more me. I know this is a first world problem but it's surprising how much stress it's causing me. I wish there was a "personal setting consultant" to help me get this right so that I can get off the "second guessing" merry go ground. The diamond is stunning. It's the setting I'm struggling with.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
It looked big only for two weeks. It looks normal on my hand now.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reset my 8 mm oec into a halo last month, and initially I felt it was big and a bit "showy" (much more sparkle and hand presence than the solitaire)...but I love the ring and just kept wearing it, and now it feels perfectly normal to me. Your eyes will adjust to it the more you wear it, I'm sure you'll get used to it soon!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went from a .33 marquise solitaire x 20+ years, to a 1 ct princess platinum solitaire, which I wore for about 6.5 years. At the time, it seemed HUGE! Then, I found PS and lurked, as I designed a 3 stone w a local B&M. When it was finished - it seemed out of this world HUMUNGOUS to me and I was blinded by it! of course, had a series of issues and after dismantling it and being refunded, I finally had it remade to the lovely 3 stone by BGD, and by then, I was completely used to the coverage!

IRL, my 3 stone is appropriate to my social circle, but on PS, it feels so small!! haha! You'll get used to yours in no time, MTG!! ;))

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Back in April I went from a 1.54 asscher to a halo'ed 2.52 EC. It took a few weeks to get used to the size difference but now it feels totally normal. I'm pretty sure I could adjust to any large stone over time :naughty:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Weirdly, it didn't work like that for me ... it took two years to look weird.

See, I got my anniversary ring when I was 8 months preggers, and my fingers had swollen from a 5 wearing a 1.5 to a 7 or 8 wearing a 2.5. They took a while to shrink down - didn't really happen until last spring. So THEN the new one looked ridic.

Now, I'm good with it. :bigsmile:

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
My first Ering was a 3 stone with a center of approx .4 ct. Then we upgraded to a 1ct cushion which didn't feel big but felt "nice." Six months ago we upgraded the 1 to a 2.23ct which felt huge at first and now feels normal. I do have DSS though and feel I can easily wear a 3-4 ct without thinking twice - only my pocketbook would flinch. :lol:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, I took to it like a fish to water, he he! :cheeky: :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1382858489|3545453 said:

LOL Me too. Maybe that's weird but my upgrade seemed a perfect fit on my hand from the moment I got it...or maybe that was just a sign it was the perfect ring for me? :cheeky: In any case I am sure yours will seem the perfect size in no time MTG!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From .38 to 1.21 and sides, seems small already :twirl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My solitaire upgrades did not really phase me.

But I had an OEC three stone ring for a while with a 7mm center and two 5.8mm side stones. It was too much for me. I wore it as a thre stone for a couple weeks and could not get used to how much presense it had. I ended up unsetting the stones and toying with smaller sides. Then ended up just getting a larger solitaire. I don't know if I would have gotten used to it with time. Probably. But, it was the only time that a ring made me truly uncomfortable.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to be able to answer this question! I'm still a "before". :wink2:

MTG - your ring is so spectacular, I can see how it might take a bit to adjust. But it looks just perfect on your hand!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1382925361|3545882 said:

I laughed out loud--me too! Love your new ring MTG.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MTG - your ring is so spectacular, I can see how it might take a bit to adjust. But it looks just perfect on your hand!

Hehe!
Thanks guys, so far so good, nobody at work has mentioned anything which I take as a good sign. I don't really want to explain the whole reset thing, I don't think they're bling addicts like I am. I think if I get asked, I'll tell them the reset was a 5 year anniversary gift (which isn't a lie, our next anniversary is our 5th and I told him this reset can count as my next Christmas/Birthday/Valentines/Anniversary present lol)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade|1382984682|3546237 said:

Hehe!
Thanks guys, so far so good, nobody at work has mentioned anything which I take as a good sign. I don't really want to explain the whole reset thing, I don't think they're bling addicts like I am. I think if I get asked, I'll tell them the reset was a 5 year anniversary gift (which isn't a lie, our next anniversary is our 5th and I told him this reset can count as my next Christmas/Birthday/Valentines/Anniversary present lol)

Perfect! One person has commented on my ring so far since I've gotten the reset, and I said it's a 30th Wedding Anniversary present - which is the truth actually! My major bling buying days are done. It's funny, but saying it was an anniversary gift made me feel less self-conscious.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1382858489|3545453 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me too! Went from a .87 carat marquis to a 2.04 RBC. I feel like I should have been born with it. :lol:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
MTG, your ring is very tasteful. I hope you'll feel comfortable with it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No prob here. Went from a 1.11 to a 2.59. Looked just right, which should have been a sign immediately that DSS would set in quickly in a huge way, which it did. Now I regret not going directly to 3.0 at least. :). Will have to make do for a long while. Will be interesting to see what I will have to do to keep the DSS beast down. Lol!!

Your ring is gorgeous and blingy!! Enjoy it's sparkly goodness. ;-)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
When I went from my .76ct to a 2.04ct with a halo it did take 2-3 weeks to get used it. Then when I jumped up again to my 5.06ct with a halo I'm on the fense. In private I have no issues at all with the ring size. Never even notice it. But when I'm out in public I get a lot of stares. Makes me slightly uncomfortable and a little self conscious.....not enough to not wear it though. I personally love rocking out the bling! :bigsmile:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, nope. I went from a .65ish OEC to a 2.42ct OEC; it looked big for about a day, then it went to looking completely normal. :lickout:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes. I went from a 1.5 cushion solitaire to a ~4ct OEC in a halo. I loved it from Day 1, but it did take a few weeks to get used to.

I do get size comments on it. Occasionally they make me feel self-conscious but at the same time I realize my ring is somewhat unusual. I do love it, so overall I'm fine with the extra attention it may bring.

Anne

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm definitely getting used to it, though I still swoon when I look at it. I don't think I"ve ever been so enamoured of a ring's profile!

So far, no awkward comments. Either people are too busy to notice, or the change isn't as glaring as I was thinking, lol. To be fair, I work in a hospital and many of collegues of huge blinging erings, so it's not like it really stands out.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Today I'll be going from a thin, pave solitaire to as my kids put a "Super Bowl" sized halo :cheeky: I am a bit worried it will be over the top but I'm sure I will adjust. I was also worried about what others would think but have decided I don't care. I want bling, I can't upgrade my center stone to the size I want, so I've giving my diamond an "enhancement"! ;))

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1383139566|3547379 said:
Today I'll be going from a thin, pave solitaire to as my kids put a "Super Bowl" sized halo :cheeky: I am a bit worried it will be over the top but I'm sure I will adjust. I was also worried about what others would think but have decided I don't care. I want bling, I can't upgrade my center stone to the size I want, so I've giving my diamond an "enhancement"! ;))

Feb03Bride, I went to a halo for the same exact reasons, and I'm loving it! The halo gives me the hand presence and sparkle I felt I was missing. I can't wait to see your new setting, please post pics!

I dunno...I actually think that feeling of "omg, this might be too big, not sure I can pull this off" can be kind of fun sometimes! I felt that way when I went from a .33 to a one carat in a pretty blingy wedding set. It was kind of exciting. Oddly, when I got my OEC in a vintage solitaire, I didn't have that "omg this might be too big" thought and I was actually a little disappointed. :cheeky: I can't believe how much a halo has beefed up my diamond. The other night I was out to dinner with my family and mid-sentence my daughter says "your ring is ridiculous!!!" and I replied with a big grin "yeah, I know!"

Of course, there's that chance that a person won't lose that "omg it might be too big" and end up feeling self-conscious and stressed, and that's obviously no good. But overall it seems like most people eventually adapt!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results