shape
carat
color
clarity

The hows-and-whys of fur clips ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another off-the-wall question ... anybody know how fur clips used to be worn? I know from dress clips, but fur clips puzzle me. Did people wear them like brooches on their fur coats? Were the used to keep glamorous stoles in place? The curiosity is killing me!

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
Hi Circe - I've seen old photos (waaaaay back in the day, like decades ago!) of one of my mom's relatives in a fur piece with fur clips. Her fur was a capelet (larger than a typical stole), with no sleeves or buttons in front. She wore a pair of rhinestone or paste clips which had a short (6-8") metal chain between them. The clips were clamped on to each side of the front of the cape with the chain in between, and this allowed it to be worn hands-free. At least that's how she wore them in the photos I've seen...it's similar to the notion of a sweater guard or cape chain (also from back in the day).
I'm not sure if they were purely decorative or if they really held the fur piece on the body, as I've seen this cape in the photos in person and it had straps sewn in the inside that one could put arms through to hold it on the shoulders. But I think the clips were useful to keep it more closed together in the front, and probably also more securely on the shoulders (to keep it from slipping around).
There are probably other ways to wear fur clips but this is just what I've seen in one instance that I know of from having seen the photos. Interesting question...

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I concur with Gemmy, having seem similar photos of my relatives (I.e. great grandmother, great aunts etc.)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, how cool! You are very lucky to have such photos - I'd love to see!

I just got a piece listed as a fur clip from the 1890s, and it has me scratching my head because ... weren't they only a "thing" from the Deco period onwards? Guess I'll get to find out when it arrives and I can check it over with a microscope, looking for hallmarks! Either way, though, I am so curious about the ways in which they were used, and what sorts of designs were popular in their specific subfield, as compared to dress clips or shoe clips, and, and, and .... :cheeky:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe: I don't know when such clips had their hayday (heyday?) but now you have me wanting to go watch the classic high society movies from the 1930s to see if I can spot any. For that matter, I would love to know of any good movies with great vintage/antique bling... :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results