shape
carat
color
clarity

1.0ct natural Ruby 0.11ct Burma and 0.7ct Sapphire Sri lanka

Savaris

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I'm new here I was wondering how much euro these 2 pendants are worth (stones separately) Thanks!

First one: 1.0ct Natural Ruby (Burma) and 0.11ct South Africa Natural Diamond
SETTING
Setting: Solid 18K White Gold/Stamped
Weight: about 1.29grams

MAIN STONE
Type:100% Natural Ruby
Carat Weight: 1.0ct

ACCENT STONES
Type:Natural South Africa Diamond
Carat Weight: total 0.11ct 20pcs

Second one: 0.7ct Natural Sapphire (Sri Lanka) Gemstone 0.04ct South Africa Natural Diamond

SETTING
Setting: Solid 18K White Gold/Stamped
Weight: about 1.3-1.4grams

MAIN STONE
Type: Natural Sapphire Gemstone
Carat Weight: 0.7-0.8ct

ACCENT STONES
Type:100% Natural South Africa Diamond
Carat Weight: total 0.04ct 6pcs

http://postimg.org/image/9pdsrlt8b/

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
Re: 1.0ct natural Ruby 0.11ct Burma and 0.7ct Sapphire Sri l

I'm no expert but I'm sure others will tell you that it's impossible to judge the price of a coloured stone without seeing accurate images of their colour and cut.

dnilson

Rough_Rock

I'm a newbie, but those are both real beauties!!!! Do they have reputable lab reports (GIA, etc.) that prove they come from where you've been told they come from? What is their clarity, brilliance, etc.? Hopefully, some of our experts will chime in. Also, it may just be the way the pictures were taken, but it looks like the sapphire is larger than the ruby.

Savaris

Rough_Rock

I'm not sure about the clarity but it's very very nice. I just want to know how much it is worth approximately, hope someone can help me :)
There are GIA reports indeed. Its certified

emmmme

Shiny_Rock

Oops - I must have missed the link before. My apologies.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with emmme that the experts would need additional info in order to steer you in the direction of a value. For example, the details of the stones are necessary: (dimensions, clarity, treatment). In addition, if you could post the lab reports stating the treatment level along with the description of the color, etc. this would help as well. Thanks.

Savaris

Rough_Rock

Ah, okay so i have to wait until i receive them first. I'll post when i get it! Thanks:)

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock

Yes, the level of treatment alone can make a Ruby to be worth $10 or $20,000.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The pictures show lovely stones but the valuation depends on many things including:

1. The ruby cannot be 1.0 ct on the dot. It doesn't happen 99% of the time so I would want to make sure the stone matches the GIA report. Ditto with the sapphire.
2. To some vendors, natural doesn't automatically mean untreated and treatment matters 100% in rubies. An unheated one is worth far more than an unheated ruby if the colouration is equal. Even if heated, there are many different levels of treatment from minor healing to major flux healing. Then there is also diffusion and lead glass filling which basically makes the ruby almost worthless. I don't think there is lead glass filling (yet) in sapphires but diffusion is definitely something to watch out for.
3. Cannot tell anything about the cut or clarity or colour zoning since the stones are at an angle.

dnilson

Rough_Rock

How much does heating alone affect the value of rubies and sapphires...assuming color, cut and clarity are all well above average. Also other than GIA and AGS, are there any other reputable labs to use for gemstones? To the OP, did you buy these stones without seeking the reports first?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If the colour isn't that great (commercial quality), treatment doesn't matter that much but it affects pricing exponentially as the colour quality increases. There's heating and there's heating. One is plain heat, the other is heating with added beryllium and/or other added minerals. For clarity enhancement, in particularly for rubies, the level of remaining flux and fillers affects pricing a great deal.

In the USA, there's GIA and AGL (AGS is for diamonds). In Europe and Asia, there are also other GIA labs, Gubelin, and SSEF. I am not too keen on GRS for their descriptors but they do a good job with detecting treatment. I shy away from AIGS, Burapha and other smaller labs for stones that are commonly heavily treated.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock

to answer your question about the impact of heat (ONLY -- no other treatments) on pricing, for gem-quality sapphires and ruby (of size meaning 5+ carats), the impact is about 50%+/-. of course, you can debate what it means to be gem-quality and or "above average" in the colored stone world ad nauseum.

dnilson

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the info! To be honest I don't think I could ever afford a 5 carat ruby or sapphire. I'm looking in the 2-3 carat range. Quality is the most important thing for me. Also, which lab would you all prefer to use for gemstones, GIA or AGL? Has anyone heard of UGL (universal gemological lab)? I've been looking on a site called Gems NY. www.gemsny.com mainly because they have such a large selection of rubies, emeralds and sapphires. However, while some of their stones have GIA reports, most of them have UGL reports (even if they have a GIA report, they'll still have a report from UGL. In those cases, the reports are essentially grading the stones the same way, which makes me think they're reputable, but I don't know. For example, the UGL report will say a ruby is "pigeons blood red". While the GIA report will just say the color is "red". If its truly pigeons blood red, wouldn't the GIA report at least say "vivid or intense red"? How specific is GIA when determining a color grade? Also, the GIA reports are not reporting clarity?!?! I thought they all did that. All they'll say is whether or not the gem is transparent? What's up with that? Is AGL more specific in their color grading? Thanks in advance!!! :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dnilson|1378837432|3518029 said:
Thanks for the info! To be honest I don't think I could ever afford a 5 carat ruby or sapphire. I'm looking in the 2-3 carat range. Quality is the most important thing for me. Also, which lab would you all prefer to use for gemstones, GIA or AGL? Has anyone heard of UGL (universal gemological lab)? I've been looking on a site called Gems NY. www.gemsny.com mainly because they have such a large selection of rubies, emeralds and sapphires. However, while some of their stones have GIA reports, most of them have UGL reports (even if they have a GIA report, they'll still have a report from UGL. In those cases, the reports are essentially grading the stones the same way, which makes me think they're reputable, but I don't know. For example, the UGL report will say a ruby is "pigeons blood red". While the GIA report will just say the color is "red". If its truly pigeons blood red, wouldn't the GIA report at least say "vivid or intense red"? How specific is GIA when determining a color grade? Is AGL more specific in their color grading? Thanks in advance!!! :D

dnilson: please do not take this badly as its meant with good intentions. You have not been on this board for very long and you admittedly have much to learn. As a percentage of your total posts, you have started many threads asking for guidance. Instead of asking questions (some of them repeatedly), why don't you spend some time here reading old threads? All the information you are asking about is here and can be found by searching as other new members do. Also, since you have asked questions about Gems NY and UGL twice already including once in one of your own threads, it is frowned upon here to take up someone else's thread to ask your questions as its considered "threadjacking" and not great etiquette. I'm sorry to even say anything, but I want you to start off on the right foot, and I notice that less and less posters are responding to you, probably because of the repetition of your posts. I hope you find this info useful. :praise: :saint: :wavey:

dnilson

Rough_Rock

I am very sorry for anything I have said or done that is considered rude or improper. I AM trying to learn and have searched old posts. Admittedly, not for every single question, but for the vast majority of them. The only reason I've asked certain questions more than once is because no one responded and I assumed that posters who might know, didn't see the original question. Believe it or not, I have spent a great deal of time trying to answer my own questions, at this site and others, but you would be surprised at how difficult it is to find information that many of you probably consider basic knowledge. I also apologize for asking questions on other posters threads, but I didn't want to start a new thread for simple questions, and honestly didn't know it was considered improper. I'll just start lurking again, like I did before I started posting. Everyone here is very nice and helpful. I'll come back when I'm better educated. Also, I do appreciate your post, as I truly did not know I was doing anything wrong. Thank you and everyone else for your help and I'll be back when I'm not such a tool.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dnilson|1378861392|3518344 said:
I am very sorry for anything I have said or done that is considered rude or improper. I AM trying to learn and have searched old posts. Admittedly, not for every single question, but for the vast majority of them. The only reason I've asked certain questions more than once is because no one responded and I assumed that posters who might know, didn't see the original question. Believe it or not, I have spent a great deal of time trying to answer my own questions, at this site and others, but you would be surprised at how difficult it is to find information that many of you probably consider basic knowledge. I also apologize for asking questions on other posters threads, but I didn't want to start a new thread for simple questions, and honestly didn't know it was considered improper. I'll just start lurking again, like I did before I started posting. Everyone here is very nice and helpful. I'll come back when I'm better educated. Also, I do appreciate your post, as I truly did not know I was doing anything wrong. Thank you and everyone else for your help and I'll be back when I'm not such a tool.

Aw, honey, now I feel like a heel! :(sad It really was not my intention to make you feel bad (which I've clearly done). Its funny, because every time I've used the search function here, it has worked for me, but others have not been so lucky. Let me see what I can find. If I find what you need, I can show you how to search - and we can hope it works for you too. :))

Please do NOT go back to lurkdom! You have great energy and curiosity!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dnilson,
I responded to these same questions you posted in the New to Coloured Gemstones sticky thread yesterday, in case you missed it. It is easiest for most posters to respond to your questions when you start your own thread and then build upon it. Most of us don't read every single thread and your question gets burried under the original thread, hence you'll actually get less responses to your questions when thread-jacking.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, dnilson, now I'm back with an abjectly humble apology - I tried searching and turned up nothing! Having been here a while, I know that these questions have been asked and answered and exist when you search for them. Perhaps you can wait a day or two and try again to search and if that doesn't work, contact the PS moderators who might offer you some pointers? Now I'm thinking that maybe we should start a generic "I tried Searching but couldn't find...." thread for those like you who've become frustrated?

Savaris: I am so sorry for continuing this threadjack - we really want to help you in your search for value assessments... :wavey:

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock

OP Savaris
Information regarding the pendants and stones are available on a site, Aliexpress, where they can be purchased. The pics appear to be identical to what is in the photo link in the initial post.

The ruby pendant is here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-0ct-100-Real-Natural-Ruby-Gemstones-0-11ct-South-Africa-Natural-Diamond-Pendant-Women-Jewelry/753910737.html

The sapphire is here: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/0-7ct-100-Real-Natural-Sapphire-Gemstones-0-04ct-South-Africa-Natural-Diamond-18K-White-Gold/912948_889798182.html

Hope that is of assistance.

_9837.jpg

_9838.jpg

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock

Poster dnilson
From one lurker to another, might I suggest using Google or similar as the search engine.
For instance, googling "UGL gem lab" will return several links to posts from previous PriceScope discussions.
In addition, several other results offer descriptions and reviews regarding the lab.

Similar results when googling "GIA vs. AGL"; the first returns are from PriceScope discussions.

All the best on your search for rubies and sapphires; it is addicting and wonderful at the same time!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JewelPhenom|1378880910|3518484 said:
OP Savaris
Information regarding the pendants and stones are available on a site, Aliexpress, where they can be purchased. The pics appear to be identical to what is in the photo link in the initial post.

The ruby pendant is here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-0ct-100-Real-Natural-Ruby-Gemstones-0-11ct-South-Africa-Natural-Diamond-Pendant-Women-Jewelry/753910737.html

The sapphire is here: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/0-7ct-100-Real-Natural-Sapphire-Gemstones-0-04ct-South-Africa-Natural-Diamond-18K-White-Gold/912948_889798182.html

Hope that is of assistance.

Nice going, Jewelphenom! :appl: :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Savaris,

There are many things that would dissuade me from buying from that vendor:

1. These are bulk items, meaning the picture is generic and what you receive might not look like what is pictured. Each gem never looks like another, even matched pairs.

2. Zero mention of treatment. Based on the price, I fully expect a diffused sapphire and lead glass filled and diffused ruby. If not, then the actual item will not look as attractive as pictured.

3. No mention of the colour and clarity of the diamonds. I would be concerned if they are I1 or lower in quality aka frozen spit.

4. The seller notes that it is real and natural, which the wording isn't accurate to me. That only covers the fact that it is genuine and not a synthetic. Natural, by true definition, would mean it is 100% untreated, but somehow I doubt that is what the seller meant.

5. The item is only returnable / refundable if it is significantly different from the seller's description. This can be tricky to contest. All the above points 1 to 4, make it difficult to contest that the item isn't as represented because the seller provided practically no details on the item advertised.

Savaris

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your replies,

Chrono, i just received them, tbh they look smaller as on pic haha. That aside, it looks pretty nice, the colors and all. I just asked this to the supplier

2. What kind of treatment are there on both gemstones? is it diffused sapphire and lead glass filled and diffused ruby? or something else

3. Also the colour and clarity of the diamonds. are they I1 or lower in quality ( frozen spit)? or something else

4. What do you mean with ''Natural'' genuine or synthetic. Because natural, by true definition, would mean it is 100% untreated, are these gemstones untreated?

Ill let u know once she replies

I paid like 200$ each they were on sale (its 700$ each now)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Savaris,
How do the pendants look to you?
1. Do the diamonds look transparent and clear to you, or cloudy and peppered?
2. Are the stones transparent, translucent or opaque?
3. Are the colours bright and vibrant, or darkish and a bit dull?
4. Do you like them?
5. How important is it to you to have untreated gems or you don't mind as long as they look pretty?

Savaris

Rough_Rock

Hello,

I got this as a reaction

1.The blue gemstone is Sapphire, the red gemstone is Ruby.

2.The Diamond is Natural South Africa Diamond, I-J color SI.

3.Sapphire and Ruby which we send to you is Natural not synthetic. For more details about Natural and Synthetic, I think you can check on Google.

Savaris

Rough_Rock

1. Do the diamonds look transparent and clear to you, or cloudy and peppered?
2. Are the stones transparent, translucent or opaque?
3. Are the colours bright and vibrant, or darkish and a bit dull?
4. Do you like them?
5. How important is it to you to have untreated gems or you don't mind as long as they look pretty?

1. The diamonds are really small so its hard to tell but they look transparant.
2. The ruby looks a bit translucent. The Sapphire looks transparant
3. The sapphire is bright and vibrant, the ruby a bit darkish and dull.
4. The sapphire is nice, the ruby stone is dark wish it would be brighter
5. As long as they look pretty tbh and if i didnt get drilled along the way (ripped off) Thats the main issue tbh =p I hate to pay something more than it is worth

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Either they don't know about treatment, or are cleanly avoiding answering this issue. Based on price and your description, expect the sapphire to be diffused and the ruby to be both diffused and lead glass filled.

I would not say that you were ripped off by any means. Just know that if you were expecting something untreated, then yes, you were ripped off. Both stones are heavily treated to make them affordable and attractive to the eye.

Savaris

Rough_Rock

I see, thanks a lot for the information. About the total value, what would your guess be?(including the gems, the gold and diamonds, both of the sapphire as the rubt pendant)?

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock

I wouldn't pay a dollar over $40 for each of those. I think they are flat out lying to you, and I'd be suspect that the gold isn't really what they say it is too. We sell pendants at the maul store that look like that for around $60.

Savaris

Rough_Rock

Seriously? So it is only worth around 60 each? :|

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results