shape
carat
color
clarity

Don't know where to start - Yellow Sapphire in Halo

gannon

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I'm very new to this and would love some of your expertise to help me along my way. Looking for an e-ring in the next couple of months. I'd like a Yellow sapphire in a halo setting with diamond accents. Budget is $2-3k for entire ring.

My questions are as follows:

1. Can I get more for my money by buying loose stones and a setting and having them put together? What are the trade-offs?

2. I've seen the post listing trusted jewelers, but I have no idea where to start looking. What is a good starting point?

3. I've read as much as I can about sapphires, but can somebody help simplify what I can expect to find in my price range.

Thank you so much for your insight,
G

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I would start with treatment as they will dictate price. I'm assuming with your budget you don't mind heating but chemicals treatments is a no :?:

Your price range will vary as the color/ saturation will dictate the price of the sapphire and then the quality of the setting you choose as well. I would think for your price range you could get a nice 7-7.5mm sapphire in a Gabriel and co halo setting for 3k that is way doable.

It would also help if you posted what shape you were interested in as well as colors that you liked (with pictures if possible).

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gannon,

1. Loose stones allow more customization, and it looks like there's quite a few to fit your budget. The tradeoff is the setting may take some time, and you won't be having a complete ring finished all at once.

Here's a link to some yellow sapphires all within your budget.

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_yellow_orange.html
http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6941

2. See above for some very nice sapphires in your budget range.

3. There are many experts here that will help you, I'm just passing along a guess on how to help. Your budget will dictate how much saturation you will receive. Is there a certain hue/saturation/shape that is more appealing?

gannon

Rough_Rock
SB621|1378408498|3515155 said:
It would also help if you posted what shape you were interested in as well as colors that you liked (with pictures if possible).

Cushion cut seems to be my favorite (round would be second), but I've noticed recently that there tends to be a window with a cushion. How does that affect the look once completed? I like this style and color in general, just not in love with the oval cut.

image002_7.jpg

As far as color, I definitely like more yellow than orange. The first few gems on gemfix that Frog posted is around what I've been looking at.

Is there a place I can find Gabriel and Co settings only? Not completed rings?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Well cut cushions will not have a window. Some windows may "close" in a setting that blocks light going to the window, but this usually only works with smaller windows. A window will adversely effect the performance of your stone.

ID Jewelry carries Gabriel & Co. settings, and you can see them online here:
http://idjewelryonline.com/index.php
Just chose "engagement" in the top menu, and pick the type of setting you want

Many PSers have worked with ID, and have been happy. You can have ID set a stone that you've purchased elsewhere.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results