shape
carat
color
clarity

NYE in NYC

justginger

Ideal_Rock
DH and I will be in the Big Apple this year for New Year's Eve. Count me in amongst those who watched Dick Clark and the ball drop with reverence since childhood.

I KNOW TS must be miserable for NYE. I get that. Standing for 10 hours in the cold, limited food, no alcohol, no toilets. I thought I had the problem solved when I found a restaurant IN TS that was hosting a party, had excellent reviews from past years, and got on their mailing list nice and early. Like last Feb, early.

Unfortunately, even with tickets being $700 each, there was such an overwhelming demand for this party that they implemented a lottery system, instead of the age old "first in, best dressed." Lottery was on Monday. Still haven't heard anything. It's probably 99% safe to say we won't be going. :blackeye:

So now what? I didn't have a backup plan because I did the "right thing" and got in mega early. The reason we're going to NYC for NYE is to see TS IRL, you know? I can't possibly ask DH, who hasn't ever experienced a real winter, to stand in the NYC weather for 10 hours. It wouldn't be an experience to remember for the right reasons and would likely be cited in court document of one kind or another... :wink2: :lol:

What have others done to ring in the new year in New York? There are just so many scams and terrible reviews that I feel my only solid option is Central Park for the fireworks. To be brutally honest, we could have traveled 1/10th the distance, spent 1/10th the money, and seen (in my opinion) the best NYE fireworks in the world by just hopping over to Sydney. I want a NYC NYE! Please tell me someone has an idea of where we can see the ball drop from a restaurant with heat and toilets!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
there are hotels in times square with suites that over-look the entire scene. book one of those with the best views and have a party of your own there.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1378342769|3514679 said:
there are hotels in times square with suites that over-look the entire scene. book one of those with the best views and have a party of your own there.

From what I can tell, besides the fact they have 3 night minimum stays and run about $2000/night, they've been booked out for months.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Central Park is a great idea.
Last time I went to Times Square on NYE was back in the late '80's and it was truly a terrifying experience for me.
I worked my way up to about 46th Street, At that point is started to get so tight.....I was squeezed so bad I could not move- and trying to get out of the mass of people was nearly impossible. Horribly claustrophobic.....
They've changed it since- now instead of a huge mass, they have "pens" where they heard the people. To leave you'd only have to fight through maybe a few hundred poeple
BTW- I don't even think 10 hours will do it.
They start closing off Times Square at noon......I usually work that day- and I need to walk to my garage which is between Sixth and Seventh Avenues.
They have all the streets closed off- and I have to show proof my car is parked there to even get to it.
Poor people trying to walk crosstown have to walk up to like, 56st- or down for maybe 35st to get across.....
Hope this helps!

mjr1

Rough_Rock
Two years ago we were in NYC for NYE. We stayed at a Mariott near the park. There is a 4 mile run in the park that starts at midnight- we went out to dinner, went back to the hotel, took a bit of a rest and got up, dressed and went to the park around 10 p.m. There was a band, costume contest,lots of fun. It was a very international crowd. We lined up at 11:30 ish, watched some fireworks and the race stated right at midnight. It was a TOTAL blast. They served sparkling cider at mile 2. When we finished, we walked back to the hotel, changed and went out for food/drinks at 2 a.m. (We were with a group of friends). One of the BEST NYE ever. The next day we wandered the city, saw the tree and just enjoyed an awesome day. The run is not competitive, more family oriented, but some fast runners too. One of my friends thought he would check out TS before the race in the afternoon and could not get anywhere near it. We loved the entire experience and would do it again in a heart beat!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mjr1|1378351643|3514786 said:
Two years ago we were in NYC for NYE. We stayed at a Mariott near the park. There is a 4 mile run in the park that starts at midnight- we went out to dinner, went back to the hotel, took a bit of a rest and got up, dressed and went to the park around 10 p.m. There was a band, costume contest,lots of fun. It was a very international crowd. We lined up at 11:30 ish, watched some fireworks and the race stated right at midnight. It was a TOTAL blast. They served sparkling cider at mile 2. When we finished, we walked back to the hotel, changed and went out for food/drinks at 2 a.m. (We were with a group of friends). One of the BEST NYE ever. The next day we wandered the city, saw the tree and just enjoyed an awesome day. The run is not competitive, more family oriented, but some fast runners too. One of my friends thought he would check out TS before the race in the afternoon and could not get anywhere near it. We loved the entire experience and would do it again in a heart beat!

I went to the New Year Midnight Run in Central Park a couple of years ago and it was a lot of fun.

http://www.nyc.com/arts__attractions/new_year_midnight_run.1403/editorial_review.aspx#content

This second link says it was the only place to see fireworks in Manhattan that night. Not sure if that's the case every year.
http://www.nyrr.org/newsroom/press-release/emerald-nuts-midnight-run

iLander

Ideal_Rock
You can see the fireworks from any of the side streets leading to Times Square, you don't have to be roped into the TS area. Watch from a couple of streets back, it's not bad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results