shape
carat
color
clarity

Three-stone step-cut trapezoid setting?

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if any of you remember me, but I have periodically lurked around here and posted a couple of times about setting the aquamarine Jeff White cut for me some months ago...it was intended for a ring as a wedding gift for me (I got married November 2009, hehe), but I never decided on a setting...

I finally decided with my husband that I'd rather wait for 2+ years for him to save up for a setting I really love than just get something that would still be expensive but did not thrill me...so I think we have decided that he'll get me the setting now and it will be a gift for all occasions (christmas, birthdays--including my 30th in June 2011, oof!--and our first, second and third anniversaries), hehe...we don't have a ton of money, but I'm the kind of person who would rather have nothing than something I'm not crazy about, and I'd rather wait years to have what I really want than to have something for years I don't love.

Sooo, if I am really being honest with myself, I realized that I really wanted to set this aquamarine (which is my husband's birthstone) with step-cut trapezoid-shaped diamonds. Problem with this is that I have not found any semi-mounts with step-cut traps...so I think my best route is going custom. I have heard great things about danielm on etsy, and I have been in contact with them (they have been lovely!), so I think I will source out this project to them and let them find the traps. My questions for you folks:

1. According to Jeff, my aqua measures 2.55 ct and 8.1 mm (I attached a photo of it again for the thousandth time on here, hehe)--what measurements should I be requesting for my side stones? I want the side stones slightly smaller, but I want the look to be balanced and cohesive, and I am having trouble imagining it.

2. Does anyone have a three-stone asscher with trapezoids who might be able to share the measurements? I have searched and searched on here and I have not seen any photos of what I'm looking for exactly, and nothing at all with measurements :blackeye: I really could use your help!!!

Thanks so much in advance!

aquaalliesq.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Not exactly what you were looking for, but here's my asscher chrysoberyl with traps (and rounds). The traps are 4.1 x 2.5mm and the chrysoberyl is 6.8mm (the sides where the traps butt up against it are 3.8mm.)

BrianGavin_Yellow8_121509.jpg

BrianGavin_Yellow6_1.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh I've been looking for pictures w/trap sides too! I'm no help but thought I'd chime in and say I love your idea!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Kismet said:
Not exactly what you were looking for, but here's my asscher chrysoberyl with traps (and rounds). The traps are 4.1 x 2.5mm and the chrysoberyl is 6.8mm (the sides where the traps butt up against it are 3.8mm.)

BrianGavin_Yellow8_121509.jpg

How did I miss this?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Is a thread on your ring Kismet?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ali,
The stone you have isn't an asscher cut, it isn't 6 sided and has no windmills but can be considered a square step cut. I managed to find a single picture of a 3 stone with step cut trapezoids but the centre stone is a cushion which you'll have to imagine switched out to a step cut stone.

r5847_0008wx.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I like the idea of traps with your Aquamarine. Kismit, you ring is beautiful..

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results