shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone Evaluation help

bmck100

Rough_Rock
Currently looking for a sapphire engagement ring and have my eye on a pink sapphire one.

9mmx7.2mm Natural Pink Ceylon sapphire ring from an estate sale. Wondering if some of you experienced folks could let me know what you think of the main stone.

__kgrhqn__n0figfp5ebbbsdyiptlww__60_57.jpg __kgrhqv__q8fhnf8-om2bsdyhor-qq__60_57.jpg

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I see a purple stone with an enormous window. :(sad

bmck100

Rough_Rock
yeah, that's kind of what I thought re the window but I am new to this so wasn't sure.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it's a pink sapphire? I see a subtle lavender/purple color, which I do like. But that window is very large. Not sure about treatment on the stone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to what others have said. Unless it was super cheap, I would move on.

bmck100

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1377282289|3508757 said:

Listed price is $650 and they list the setting as having .30 carats of diamonds F/VS-SI1

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
not the....the......bay window........noooooo

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
I like the color of lavender(it is too far from pink BTW :geek: ). If it is natural untreated (it looks big), consider to have it recut to remove the window.

_9376.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bmck100|1377287527|3508791 said:
minousbijoux|1377282289|3508757 said:

Listed price is $650 and they list the setting as having .30 carats of diamonds F/VS-SI1

The price seems reasonable for the setting alone, and that's what I would buy it for, not the stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a pink stone, you will be sorely disappointed, but if you want a purplish lavender stone, then that's the colour it shows on my monitor. The cut is definitely lacking but I'm not sure if it is a good candidate for a recut.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The stone has a window, which means it is shallow. If you recut it, it will probably lose significant face-up size (because it is shallow), and in the end will be too small for the setting. I would not buy it planning on a recut.

If the diamonds are real, I agree with the others that you could buy it for the setting alone, but then you have to find a stone that fits it. You can look around for similar settings and you'll see that they are usually over $1000 used, even here on the PS preloved section.

If you have your heart set on a pink sapphire, I would buy the sapphire first. The setting seems like it would fit a 9 x 7 oval, which is a standard calibrated size. Yet, it can be nontrivial to find a good stone that fits a setting you already have.

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It’s a lavender sapphire, though these days, they are not that cheap. I quite like those colors, but they often look very pale in natural daylight. If interested, ask to see it close to a window.
The cut is quite poor all over, so you’re looking at quite a cheap stone, in the $200 range. You also need to know treatments. I recently saw a similar colored stone (quite old) that had a very bad fracture filled with oil (easy to spot for pros).

Replacing such a stone is rather easy as it’s quite standard. But take care that prices can vary wildly depending on the intensity of the pink, you’re looking at $400 for a nice pink sapphire to $1500 for a great one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results