shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cuts and their depth.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stefa26

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I''ve been reading through this site for about a month and I''m still confused as to what depth is ideal for a princess cut diamond. I do understand what the depth means and I have looked at the tables that some people have provided links to.

My question for you is:
Is there an ideal range for depth for a princess cut diamond?
I''m looking for a .75-.80 E VS2 diamond (or something close to it)
I want to maximize on the brilliance.
If there isn''t a specific range, what other factors should influence the depth?

Thanks!
4.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2005 2:11:33 PM
Author:stefa26

Is there an ideal range for depth for a princess cut diamond? ... I want to maximize on the brilliance.
Table & depth are nowhere near enough stats to guess the brilliance of a princess cut.

There''s no "sure fire" system to do that guessing, but AGS has one in store - they decided that the shortest list of specs good enough to guess brilliance for princess cuts includes table, depth, two pavilion and two crown angles. And that is supposed to work better for some princess cuts than others (there are several slightly different facet patterns called "princess").

Depth and girdle thickness show well enough if that''s a relatively large/small stone for the weight. That''s pretty much all GIA stats say about princess cuts (or any other fancy). One way to interpret those numbers comes from AGA (see the tables explained under "Knowledge/Fancy Shapes" on top of this page). I guess the AGA standard deals with spread (size for weight) and durability - not brilliance.

As far as I know that is.

You can definitely obtain a princess cut selected for brilliance: but table and depth are not part of that story
7.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Check out gemappraisers.com cut chart...it will give you a range. I, personally, would not go more than a 73 depth...but only b/c I want a nice large stone and you're just losing size at that point...not that a stone with a depth over 73 can't be beautiful (I believe researcher's 3 ct honker is 74 maybe)...

jinx- we posted at the same time! :)

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
Gem Appraisers Table

Here you go hope that helps you. It shows all the different cut grades and the pertinent information.
26.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A well crafted stone is assured from the 2A to 1A grade range. The brilliancy is not predicted by the AGA charts, but one has to keep in mind that cutters are quite smart about making even poor diamonds reasonably attractive. When a cutter takes the time to make a well crafted diamond they rarely make a poor performing one......Don''t soley judge by the numbers, but use the AGA chart as one of your tools in seeking out not only a brilliant, sparkly stone, but one that shows its size well, is durable, and has proper finish.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results