shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitchen pulls design question

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're building a new home and the kitchen has some dummy drawer and cabinet fronts. Also, some of the cabinet fronts are different sizes depending if they work or not. Do I put pulls / handles on everything or just the ones that work? I plan to use handles on drawers and knob on cabs, but what about the garbage pull out (1st pic, cab left of sink)? A handle would be more functional, but it looks like a cab, and the placement would be different since its a pull out. My concern is I don't want it to look too busy or emphasize the differences (pics of island where different cab sizes based on how they open). The small details on projects sometimes overwhelm me, and its happening here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

_8628.jpg

_8629.jpg

_8630.jpg

mogster

Shiny_Rock
I can certainly relate to being overwhelmed by small details on a project. Since I prefer consistency, I would put hardware on everything. My kitchen has handles on both the drawers and the cabinets (no knobs). The garbage cabinet has a horizontal handle at the top center, while the rest of the cabinets have vertical handles. If you aren't set on knobs and handles, perhaps you can install only handles or cups on the drawers and handles on the cabinets. That way you can have the same hardware on all of the cabinets.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer my kitchen to have a uniform look: pulls/knobs on everything or nothing at all. I think a kitchen looks complete if the hardware all matches or compliments each other.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on the new house.
Do make sure you put pulls or knobs on the working cabinets. Builders down here went through a phase where they didn't put hardware on cabinets to save money. The oils and dirt from your hands will build up on the wood and be a bugger to clean.
I have never put anything on the fake drawer fronts in front on the sink because they tend to poke you when you're at the sink.
There are four drawers in between the sinks in our master bath. I told the contractor not to make them all the same size; the one on the bottom is the deepest and they get shallower as they go up. There was no room for a handle on the top drawer because of the trim, so it has a knob. They're all from the same line and it looks just fine. After looking at a million photos of kitchen/bath designs, I found a lot of this. The function is the most important thing, if you're really going to use your kitchen.
There's a great place here for hardware:
http://piercehardware.com/index.html

Fun to look at and not everything is $300 a piece. I got all the knobs and pulls for both bath re-dos from Pierce's since nothing at Lowe's or Home Depot tripped my trigger. Top Knobs has some nice stuff that won't break the bank.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results