shape
carat
color
clarity

How does a sapphire hold up to daily wear?

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I've a question on sapphire. If I were to wear a sapphire ring when out daily and remove it when home, how will it hold up to daily wear? How many years will it last before scratches appear? Thank you.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphire is pretty durable (as long as it's not heavily included or fracture-filled). How many years until X is not an exact science - you could have your ring one day, bash your hand on a rock somehow, and dig a gouge out of your sapphire. You could have your ring thirty years and never cause even facet wear. Taking your rings off whenever you are doing anything with your hands that could cause damage to the ring is always a good plan.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your plan on how you plan to wear it greatly decreases the risk of damage. Still, it isn't a guarantee of any sorts that it will last a specific number of years. You never know when you might accidentally knock a doorknob (chip), or hit it perfectly against that conchoidal fracture point. How the sapphire is set also plays a role in how well protected the sapphire is (low set versus high set, bezel or halo versus open setting) but even so, no matter which setting design you choose, the crown is always exposed. Consider the minor scratches as proof of your enduring life together (if it is an e-ring) and part and parcel of owning a well loved coloured stone.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
distracts|1372762100|3475927 said:
Sapphire is pretty durable (as long as it's not heavily included or fracture-filled). How many years until X is not an exact science - you could have your ring one day, bash your hand on a rock somehow, and dig a gouge out of your sapphire. You could have your ring thirty years and never cause even facet wear. Taking your rings off whenever you are doing anything with your hands that could cause damage to the ring is always a good plan.

Thanks for the advice, Distracts. I'll look for only non filled and not so included sapphire.

Chrono said:
Your plan on how you plan to wear it greatly decreases the risk of damage. Still, it isn't a guarantee of any sorts that it will last a specific number of years. You never know when you might accidentally knock a doorknob (chip), or hit it perfectly against that conchoidal fracture point. How the sapphire is set also plays a role in how well protected the sapphire is (low set versus high set, bezel or halo versus open setting) but even so, no matter which setting design you choose, the crown is always exposed. Consider the minor scratches as proof of your enduring life together (if it is an e-ring) and part and parcel of owning a well loved coloured stone.

Thanks, Chrono. It'll definitely be low set but I was thinking halo as my E ring is already bezel set. I'm concerned that it will look weird to have 2 bezel rings, one on each hand.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Edward Bristol|1372763225|3475931 said:
Depends a lot on your setting.

Bezels are always best.

As long as you don't do bareknuckle boxing, a sapphire will be fine.

Thank you, Ed. No boxing in any form for me. :rodent:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I've had mine for coming to six years now, and I wore it everyday for the year I was engaged. It has some teeny little scratches only visible through a loupe but that's about it, no facet wear or chips, and it's been banged about quite a bit. I think a halo setting would help protect it and so will a low setting.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
peacechick|1372788222|3476083 said:
I've had mine for coming to six years now, and I wore it everyday for the year I was engaged. It has some teeny little scratches only visible through a loupe but that's about it, no facet wear or chips, and it's been banged about quite a bit. I think a halo setting would help protect it and so will a low setting.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ashleigh|1372772975|3476002 said:

Actually, I think it makes for a fine weapon whilst boxing with bare fists. :devil: :bigsmile:

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1372853577|3476500 said:
Ashleigh|1372772975|3476002 said:

Actually, I think it makes for a fine weapon whilst boxing with bare fists. :devil: :bigsmile:

Haha, it'll be too dear a weapon. For such a purpose, a brass knuckle ring will do. :rodent: :wink2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there :wavey:
I am absolutely no expert & can only tell you about mine. I have a natural hot pink sapphire in a simple 4 claw platinum ring. I have worn it daily on my right hand for 4.5 years now. I am right handed, very hard on my hands (I have chipped my pear diamond) & have 2 small children & to date, there isn't even a surface scratch. Lots of people invest in gems, but I have mine to wear, for my pleasure, regardless to a degree of what my hands may get up to :))

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Alex T|1372870858|3476689 said:
Hi there :wavey:
I am absolutely no expert & can only tell you about mine. I have a natural hot pink sapphire in a simple 4 claw platinum ring. I have worn it daily on my right hand for 4.5 years now. I am right handed, very hard on my hands (I have chipped my pear diamond) & have 2 small children & to date, there isn't even a surface scratch. Lots of people invest in gems, but I have mine to wear, for my pleasure, regardless to a degree of what my hands may get up to :))

Thanks for sharing your experience with sapphire, Alex. I'm glad I don't have to really baby the gem and can just enjoy it.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Actually, I think it makes for a fine weapon whilst boxing with bare fists.

Mr. Chrono is in big trouble, then, given some of the stones in your collection! :knockout:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortunately for him, I'm not much of a boxer. :halo:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results