shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with proposal speech

jmarshall

Shiny_Rock
Now, I know that this is something that only I can come up with the final product, but I've had 3 sleepless nights already coming up with ideas, and if that continues for three weeks, I might be grumpy enough that I won't have a girlfriend to propose to.....so here's the plan.... At the beach, omantic dinner at nice restaurant, walk back to apartment on the beach, on way back, give a comprehensive (but brief) speech about how happy she has made me, the time we have spent together, how she has made me a better person, I don't want to know what life is like without her, and then drop to a knee and ask.....

What I'm stewing/fretting/worried about is what all to talk about, I thought about the first time I had the guts to tell her I was interested, our first time we spent time together, our first official date, how strong she was for me when my uncle/best friend passed away 8 months into our relationship, how she has made me into a more confident man... And I feel there should be more..... I know none of you know either of us..... But what else?????

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
My first piece of advice, especially if you're someone that tends to freak out...is CHILL OUT!!! I understand that you want to pour a lot into this question, but that's all it is. Your plan sounds great the way it is, so don't spend so much time freaking out about what else to add that you become unpleasant to even be around.

I would suggest instead of drawing out the proposal, have your dinner and the walk maybe talk about past dates and how great they were and then ask. After that you can get all mushy if you want. And honestly, I think it'd make it a more romantic night for you to go on about how she means to you after you ask. That way you can look at her looking at her new ring and smiling etc...That's what I'd suggest. My DH wrote it all out in a letter, came to my house with some starbucks and roses, gave me the letter and showed me the ring. The rest of the day/weekend was spent celebrating with numerous romantic moments....Obviously this is your thing, but don't stress out about it.

jmarshall

Shiny_Rock
I am a VERY calm person....I just do a lot of thinking/research/etc ahead of time about anything and everything. When I'm working on a project at work, I do the same thing with laying awake at night thinking about things.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Telling her how much she means to you needs to be heartfelt and fairly brief. Once you say a couple of things, she is going to get the idea you are about to propose and she may not hear another thing you say! Just say it and take out the ring and she will be SO excited!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with DS! Once you start she will go into an emotional overload and wont remember anything anyways! :lol: Also, she will not want to stand there waiting for like 5 minutes waaaiting for the big YES and the kiss and the cry!

My husband got so nervous he proposed when I was in bed in the morning (rather than at the romantic dinner he planned for that night) and basically blurted out: "I love you I want to spend the rest of my life with you will you marry me?" I just asked him and he said he might have thought of a million different things he wanted to say after the fact. So my advice is to plan essentially a single sentance you want to say when you propose. Then, perhaps if you want to say more, write her an amazing card that she can read after the proposal in a quiet moment, perhaps as you eat or sit holding hands looking at the view. Then she can savour the words and also she will have a memento. And you can spend a while writing the perfect words without worrying about memorizing them.

stupidiot

Rough_Rock
Hi jmarshall!

I just proposed last week. It was a great success! Like you, I spent countless nights on thinking about the proposal, the ring etc. My advice would be try to make it simple, make it special and you will be alright!

I practised the speech many times. On that day, I simplified it and it was just about right. 2-3 sentences. Next thing I know I was putting the ring on her finger!

Best of luck to you!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I say just ask the question out of nowhere. Act like you need to tie your shoe, kneel down, and wait for her to turn your direction. No speech needed. As others have said, she won't remember it anyway.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sound like my husband. His proposal is printed and framed and hangs next to our wedding pictures, so...

He talked a bit about knowing when we first met he couldn't let me get away, then spoke of our first date and kiss, then a bunch of mushy stuff. ;)) Then he dropped to one knee and asked me to marry him, and presented a ring. Just like the movies! The whole speech was simple, sweet, and to the point. That's really all you need to remember. Heck, if all you end up saying is "will you marry me?" you can still print that out and frame it!

Good luck.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Mine made me a little game mod (he works in video games) for my Nintendo DS which basically said everything for him, and all he had to do was present the ring and actually propose. So I thought that was a smart way out of having to give the speech :lol:

But the burning question... Did you decide on the sock strategy?

jmarshall

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to ask her mother to hang onto the ring for me until I am ready.... That's the plan at least.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results