shape
carat
color
clarity

Impulse buy! Garnet halo from 1935

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
I just stumbled across this on eBay and I'm sure I overpaid but I loved it! It reminds me of a Kate Middleton ring but with red garnet instead of a sapphire. The diamonds are sooo white. They're single cuts in wg prongs.

Inside it's engraved with GRACE 1935 LOVE OLIVER

These are pics from the listing and not so good iPhone pics... Don't have my laptop to download real photos right now!

_6906.jpg

_6907.jpg

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Re: Inpulse buy! Garnet halo from 1935

My photos

_6908.jpg

_6909.jpg

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's absolutely gorgeous!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Last one! A side view. I think I love it! Just a little big for me... I feel a bit ostentatious wearing it!

Kemurphy - thanks!

_6911.jpg

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
it looks great on you! and i love that its engraved. best thing about antiques is the history. enjoy!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful ring! I love the history on these old rings as well- engraving like that is a bonus!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
BelleJoaillerie|1370553020|3460426 said:
i think the garnet is mesmerizing. It's such a rich, deep burgundy red color. And it's definitely not ostentatious, but regal looking.

^^ very well put!

I love the color of the garnet! The ring looks lovely on you, enjoy it!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies! It's so much fun to share when we "find" a treasure! I am switching it between rh and lh ring fingers... I'm loving it! But a tad worried that I'll ruin the garnet over time. Everything I read is that garnet is not an everyday stone. I guess I'll just wear and enjoy and worry about that down the road.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

What a nice find! It's beautiful.

liz

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my it's so beautiful!! I really love it - and it looks great on your hand! What a wonderful find - enjoy!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! It's definitely an attention grabber.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention in my post that I definitely don't think it's ostentatious at all - regal is a great way to describe it...when I see pics of Kate Middleton's ring, I don't think it's too big, or gaudy...it's a very classic, timeless and elegant look! And as long as you're a bit careful while wearing it, I wouldn't worry about the garnet and just enjoy it!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it's really gorgeous!!
It's a beautiful ring that looks well crafted and lovely!
And it looks really lovely on you. It's a great avatar photo. :appl:

Perhaps you might have fun seeing my 'garnet halo', which is not nearly as nice as yours, and doesn't have any diamonds...but it is a slice of history, and really charming!
I hope this is acceptable in a 'SMTR' type thread, but we are all antique lovers, so here goes..

ETA: Oop now that I've taken the quick snap with my phone and uploaded, I see that it is quite filthy (not even wiped clean) and has lint in it!
I'm sorry for that. ::)

garnet_cab_halo_ring_resized.jpg

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Wow that's beautiful! I looove a cabochon! Love the yellow gold too! Thanks for sharing.

Junebug, thanks, that's one reason I bought it, it reminded me of Kate Middleton.... And tho I'm more of a red stone lover than blue, I do love her ring and how well she wears it!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hi there Lucy, I feel a little ambivalent about posting my photo on your thread.
But I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D
Do you like garnets and collect them? Or is this your first?
Although garnet is my birthstone, I never really paid them any attention until I found this ring...the variety of them makes for an interesting gem stone!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
I'm pretty new to colored stones. I've had a few nice lab sapphires, and my old college class ring I put a garnet in by choice... But I feel totally out of my league buying colored gemstones. Reds have always been a fav of mine but most rubies I see look too pale for my taste. I bought a pink tourmaline on a whim but don't have a setting for it so it's on LoupeTroop...

And I just don't think I can rationalize any more diamond purchases! So maybe that's why I'm looking at pearls and gemstones!

eac

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous! I'm reminded of Fanny Logan's engagement ring from Nancy Mitford's novel, Love in a Cold Climate.

"Don't tell me he had it on him, just like in Making of a Marchioness?"
"Just like, except it's not a ruby."
"Quite the size of a pigeon's egg, though. You are lucky!"

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Neat - I'll have to look it up!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds ARE great.
But variety is definitely the spice of life!!
and coloured stones are a bit more doable in terms of 'wear sometimes' jewellery....
I like to wear my diamond pieces every day, so I feel I'm getting value! :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results