shape
carat
color
clarity

2 months so far, 2 days to go

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bien64

Rough_Rock

Here''s the log of my journey towards engagement over the past couple of months. I thought my future fiance would get a kick out of it after I propose in a couple of days, and also thought some of you folks would appreciate the ups and downs of the search for the perfect stone and ring. Reading this site has been a huge help in narrowing down the selection of our perfect ring, thanks!

middle Dec - choose diamond pendant for xmas present, think about when to propose. start researching diamonds on line, find pricescope, etc. So much information to digest!

early Jan - pick a date?: 1 yr dating anniversary is 2/27 ,but that would be too predictable! no idea what to budget yet - range is wide open.

Don''t think she would like too big / too much attention from the ring . Need to find best quality. should be primarily driven by size and visual quality . I visit some stores to get an idea of color, clarity, sizes . Tiffany, Derco, Willow Glenn, JoeE are best in area. JoeE had best selection, but new guy was badmouthing internet, really wanted commish on stone. WG person was great, educated me on stones with examples, etc. Derco was OK, not confident in their setting skills as emphasized speed over quality look at some settings, what does she like? ring size - trace some of hers on paper.

decide can go as low as G, prefer F+ and VS, 1.75-2.25 carat, must be AGS ideal cut ,polish, sym. I learn about spread, etc. settle on Blue Nile as reputable and more comfortable since I''ve heard of them before , though more $.

looking at so many stones, start seeing the same ones, so I start tracking on spread sheet. need to have AGS cert so can get detailed proportions and angles. most GIA don''t have the #''s eventually get to over 100 stones that I''ve tracked , rated on size, color, clarity (none under table), HCA score, flour, spread, $/carat, girdle, age also determine $ per above characteristics. least price sensitive to clarity and cut angles, but they are most important to me visually. quick price ramp with size, magic carat #''s artificially high with wasted weight hurting their geometry

1/17 found a great stone, 0.4 HCA, AGS000, E, VS2, 8.5mm. diamond is 2.18 carats - so 2/18 must be the date! spreads like 2.25 carat. fair price relative to other internet vendors for comperable stones. keep looking for similar stones for a couple of days to make sure absolute best

1/18 & 19 we go on trip to LA , see if she will give any hints while we are down there window shopping in Beverly Hills relative to size and setting. Came back with the following: comfort fit, euro shank, poss. some burnished side diamonds, not too narrow. not too big a stone

1/21 place 2.18 on hold through end of day 1/24. chat with Wally Friday PM. become certain over weekend try to order on 1/24 but they took off hold, and shipped to someone this AM Need to get it back! OMG, my heart was set on giving that exact one to Mic!!! they also raised the price. Hey, that''s not fair! They agree to honor old price for 5 days start looking for back ups, but nothing compares to that one!

1/24 Deja locates a similar stone, but has under table, price quote convinces me I''ve found a very good deal. don''t want to settle, so pressure BN to make good on their mistake request 2 settings at Joe E (Erik) , 1 Jaffe at WG to look at Saturday. should be able to handle a relatively big stone. day by day BlueNile stone status, "tomorrow we''ll know" is making me crazy!

1/27 BlueNile knows they will it have back on 28th ship same day if possible, with Saturday delivery. Get a small %pricebreak for the agony.

1/29 stone arrives FedEx. It looks amazing, like it was plugged into a power outlet! Nice arrow pattern though not a branded stone. I take it to WG and JoeE to check out and make sure it''s the correct stone, get opinions: Great stone! Choose Jaffe at WG, will take 2+ weeks, 2/15 best case. Substantial setting, like the style: comfort, sq shank, basket sets off diamond. Can get matching burnished wedding bands (T&Co Etoile?) for both of us.

2/4 make plans for 2/18 proposal: booked dinner and decided to book hotel suite for after with roses/petals , dessert, champagne. Will take the full day off work to set up room, make dessert, etc. Is there a special table / room that I can request at restaurant? Should have the photographer ask if it is our anniversary, and I can say yes and propose. Now I just need to figure out what I want to say! Took some pictures of the stone, and I think she might have caught a glimpse when I was looking for another pictire on my camera! She didn''t say anything, so maybe I''m getting paranoid 8^)

2/9 booked the hotel suite, woo hoo!!!!

2/11 confirmed setting/appraisal ready on the 15th, called restaurant to make sure we get a back corner table. picked up candles for the room and a silver box in which I''ll present the ring.

2/14 Valentines day. starting to gather cork screw, crystal platters, champagne chiller. need to arrange for engraving on the silver ring box lid. picked up engraving after lunch, and didn''t notice box was scuffed until got back to work. Will go back and get a new one on the way home tonight. got new silver box, much better finish. also picked up a couple of Waterford champagne flutes for the 18th at the hotel.

2/15 got stone and dropped off at WG for appraisal and setting. they called and said the stone looked very good after cleaning, and her evaluation matched the AGS cert, 000 E VS2. really great news and a relief! Should be ready for pickup this afternoon. ordered 3 dozen roses and a large bag of loose rose petals. picked up the ring, appraisal was 12% higher than price paid, and it looks better than I could have imagined in the setting. the proportions from top and side view are great! had a choice of 4 ring boxes even though I have the silver one already. Big blue jaffe, small red heart shape (tacky), small black oval (might fit inside silver box), and a WG branded one. took the black one which makes it convenient to carry around.

2/16 got insurance policy first thing in the morning, provided 4 pictures to cover the details of the setting.

Just 2 days left, and I can barely contain my excitement! More and more she''s talking about marriage with all of the TV coverage around Valentines day. I keep down playing it, hoping to make Friday night a surprise that she''ll never forget...

ER1.gif

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
What a great idea to log your journey - she will surely appreciate all your thoughtfulness when she sees it - lucky girl!!

You certainly did your homework - she will love it! The ring is beautiful!!

CONGRATS and GOOD LUCK!!

And please update us with pics (obligatory hand shot) !!
36.gif

Shay

Shiny_Rock
That was beautiful, you made such an effort!
5.gif
remember to post hand shots and the story on how the proposal went after the 18th. Good Luck!
35.gif

bien64

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback! As you can probably tell from my posting, I started my mini-journal about a month ago. Around that time I stumbled on a posting from Bayou describing their journal, and I thought it was a great idea!

2/17 packed up all of the stuff for the suite in a suitcase, except the flowers and dessert of coarse! I also put the ring in its box. I took the obligatory photos, but have to say getting the ring to stay put and pose with that red silk was a lot harder than I expected. I want it to look great after carrying it to dinner, and not get lost in the folds 8^) Here''s one shot...

ring-box1.gif

bien64

Rough_Rock
And little tighter shot...

ring-box2.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
Gorgeous ring and beautiful presentation in the box!! Best of luck!

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
I love the idea of the date being the same as the carats 2.18 and 2/18! You're lucky it fell on a Friday. I also love the idea that you are proposing shortly before your anniversary so that it will make it less obvious. It sounds like you've done a great job. I'm curious though, 2.18 carats is your idea of a diamond that's not too big? I know we have a lot of diamond enthusiasts here, but out in the mainstream that's a pretty big stone isn't it?

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Good luck with your proposal this evening. I enjoyed reading the journal. And that''s a really pretty ring!

bien64

Rough_Rock

2/18 This is it! I took the day off of work. after making dessert, I pack everything up and check in the hotel. next it''s off to the florist. make my way back to the hotel. It takes me a couple of hours to get things all set. The room is perfect!

After that was all set, I went back to the apartment. I hide a single rose and the ring and camera in my suit pockets so that when we are getting ready for dinner I can give her the rose and wish her a happy belated valentines.

Now she starts throwing the curve balls. She''d like to go more casual, jeans, etc instead of getting dressed up. There goes all of that prep work! I say OK, but want to wear a tie and have her where her red sweater that I like. While getting dressed, I manage to take my denim jacket into the bedroom, and transfer all of the goodies. Since the pocket is bigger, the lid on the box rattles a bit as I move, so I wrap it up a little, and tape it tight. Before we leave, I give her the rose, and we head off to dinner. Our reservation is at 8:15, and I''ve arranged for a specific out-of -the-way table, and asked that they not seat anyone next to us until 9pm so that we have some privacy. Instead of having the photographer there prompt me for the proposal, I decided that she would be more comfortable if we were alone. Instead I''ll have her make a toast, and then I''ll make a toast leading to the proposal. So much to think about, I''m amazed that we made it to the restaurant in one piece!

We get a big booth, around a corner from the rest of the guests. After getting the wine, and doing the toasts, I tell her that I''d like to sit next to her during dinner since the table is so big. At the same time I fish the ring box out of my jacket that is next to me, unwrap the outside, and move over next to her. I tell her that I have something for her, and show her the heart shaped box with the inscription. I open it for her, and she is really shocked. Woo Hoo, she really wasn''t expecting this, and the surprise is wonderful! Later I find out she thought there might be earrings or something like that in the box. I remove the ring, get down on one knee, tell her how I feel, and ask if she will marry me. She says yes, well I think so anyways, and asked her if she really did as neither of us was thinking very clearly at that point 8^) I slide the ring on her finger and it is a perfect fit, and looks terrific!

After dinner was a chocolate fondue dessert. I ask that she not get too full since I''ve made reservations for dessert and a champagne toast at another restaurant on the top floor of a hotel. 2nd curve ball, she''s not interested in another dessert. I must have had a funny look on my face because after a long pause she says "but we can still go for a drink". Wow, that was close! As we pull up to the hotel I point to the roof top, which is all lit up. When we go in she looks a little confused because instead of going towards the restaurant, we head to the elevator. I tell her that the restaurant closed at 10, so we are going up to the top floor. We get off the elevator, enter the room, and she cries a little when she sees how I''ve decorated the room.

What a wonderful day we had, and I can''t wait to start each day of the wonderful life that is waiting for us.

ringonherhand.jpg

Gale

Shiny_Rock
WOW! That was nice. Good for you in handling these last minute changes so well. Congratulations to you and your fiancee. The ring does look great on her hand!

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

You put so much effort into this - I am so pleased she said yes!!

Best wishes for a fantastic future together !
1.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Bien- that is a great story! Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! What a wonderful and very well planned proposal. I hope my BF puts that much thought and effort into it.

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations and thanks for sharing al the details. That''s my kind of proposal--carefully planned! Best of luck to you both.

bien64

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/22/2005 5:20:43 PM
Author: JimDiamond
Congratulations and thanks for sharing al the details. That''s my kind of proposal--carefully planned! Best of luck to you both.
Thanks Jim. To your previous question about 2.18 vs. "not being too big". I started with a smaller target, around 1.5 to 1.75, and G color. I didn''t find anything there that I really liked, esp that I liked with a 5.5mm band, and gradually expanded my search higher and higher since I had some flexability on the budget. I couldn''t be more pleased with the 2.18, E, VS2 that I was fortunate enough to locate.

I appreciate all of the nice comments from everyone. I never could have found such a great stone without learning so much here. Thanks again...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
aw, really sweet proposal (not to mention a beautiful ring)!! congrats and best wishes..

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
wow, absolutely stunning ring
30.gif
you did a wonderful job, what a great proposal!
Congrats
36.gif

dsmntlr

Rough_Rock
Thanks Jim for the wonderful post. One of the most complete and interesting I''ve seen!!

Beautiful ring...

JB

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bien
congrats,beautiful ring and a great story.
36.gif
36.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
What an awesome journal.

Thanks for sharing. The ring is just stunning. -- so icey white

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results