shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Tiffany Ring

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I've finally found a vintage Tiffany ring on ebay that I've been searching for for about 7 years. There are no authenticating papers, etc and upon calling Tiffany, they have said they won't authenticate either. The seller is signedjewels4less. I'm unsure of how to proceed as I don't know if it is authentic or fake. There is a stated 3 day return policy. Any suggestions on how to tell if it is real or whether this seller is reputable? Thanks.

kathness

Shiny_Rock
hiya - i wish i could give you more information but if Tiffany & co is unable to provide a authenticity stamp. It would be very difficult to determined if it's real or fake without Tiffany & co having a look at it. I would personally wouldn't buy any jewelry without paper work especially over the internet.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
There is a discussion on Rocky Talk that T&C will no longer authenticate unless you are the original owner.

He does sell a lot of T&C jewelry and nothing jumps out with that seller.

Only problem is that there is a lot of fake T&C jewelry on ebay. And with Tifffany no longer authenticating, how would you be absolutely sure even with 3 days if it were real? Some of the fakes are quite good.

Not sure which piece of jewelry you are interested in, but have you done a search to see if another seller might have it, with all the proper paperwork, so there would be no doubt?

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks you two!

I have done the research and it seems no paperwork is around as the piece is 1960s or 70s. There has since been a remake, the only true difference being a hand signature or a T and Co stamp. So other sellers have it, but impossible to tell if the hand signature is a real or a fake. The seller is unsure.

Someone suggested bringing it to Tiffany and asking them to cleaning and if they refuse then it isn't real. Maybe I will do this.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
is it just the .6 ct one they are selling?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
megumic|1366079883|3427715 said:
Thanks you two!

I have done the research and it seems no paperwork is around as the piece is 1960s or 70s. There has since been a remake, the only true difference being a hand signature or a T and Co stamp. So other sellers have it, but impossible to tell if the hand signature is a real or a fake. The seller is unsure.

Someone suggested bringing it to Tiffany and asking them to cleaning and if they refuse then it isn't real. Maybe I will do this.

I don't mean to sound paranoid, but a Tiffany employee's standard for cleaning a ring is not the best standard for judging authenticity. They clean reproductions on occasion.
Also a center stone could have been switched out. You should inquire about having the return period extended by the seller and have an idependent appraiser asses the ring/stone. If it's a nice stone, you may not care if it is the original T&C diamond, but you want to be sure you are getting good quality for your $.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results