shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help determening Brand and age.

Harald90

Rough_Rock
Hi

I just inherritage these two rings. Anyone knows anything about them?
I know the first one is an about 3ct diamond with 3 smaller (maybe 0.1ct) on eatch side.
All real diamonds. The ring is not marked in any way (in other words not gold or silver.)

The second i in gold, i think its sapphire stones and know its diamonds.

Anyone know how produced it, brand, age, anything?
No one in my family has seen these tow before now, so we have no clue.

Sry for my english, as its not my mother language.

Regard
Harald

_5010.jpg

_5011.jpg

_5012.jpg

_5013.jpg

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Harald,

Both rings are beautiful. The first one looks like it could be an old mine cut.

I don't know where you are located, but you probably should try to find an independent appraiser who is familiar with older jewelry. Anything anyone here says is just a guess, and probably not a very good one since there are only a couple of photos to go by.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd love to see a head-on photograph of that diamond, the closer-up the better!

Please let us know what you find out.

liz

Harald90

Rough_Rock
I'll see What i can dolater to day.

Regard

Harald90

Rough_Rock
Okey here goes.
I'm no photographer, but did the best I could with the equipment i got.
Attached are three photos of each ring. Hope you enjoy them, and that someone can tell me more about these rings.
I have an appointment with an appraiser who is highly recognized in late of April, but curiosity eats me up :appl: .

Hope to hear from you guys...

Edit. Maksimum 4 attachments on eatch post, so one ring on this post, and one in the next.

Regard
Harald

ring_1-1.jpg

ring_1-2.jpg

ring_1-3.jpg

Harald90

Rough_Rock
And the next ring.

Regard
Harald

ring_2-1.jpg

ring_2-2.jpg

ring_2-3.jpg

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond certainly looks like a wonky old mine cut (and I say that as someone who loves older cuts and think that wonky can be very charming). It looks like it's not set very "square" in the setting. I would consider having it straightened within the setting, which would make it look somewhat less wonky. That's a lovely setting.

Can't really tell you anything about either ring except that they're both stunning. The diamond is old. Am not sure when the transition was made from old mine cut to old European cut, but the old mine cut is almost certainly over 100 years old.

Please don't let anyone talk you into recutting that old mine cut into a modern cut diamond. If you (or someone you love) wants a modern-cut diamond, sell this one to someone who loves old cuts and buy a modern cut diamond.

We definitely want an update when you have the specs on these rings. Maybe the appraiser will be able to move your appointment forward.

Are you planning to keep the rings or sell them? We antique/vintage jewelry lovers are jealous :bigsmile:.

liz

Harald90

Rough_Rock
Hi

I must admit that I am considering selling them, they have some sentimental value to me.
Is very insecure when I have not seen these rings before, it limited what sentimental value I feel for them, but nevertheless they are heirlooms from my grandmother.

It'll come to what I know when the apprasier has seen them and told me more. From what I've managed to find of tables online, I think the biggest diamond is about 3,1 Carrat.

How much do you think something like this might be worth? I know I have to wait for the appraise, but like I said before curiosity kills me :?: :?: :?: .

Regard
Harald

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond is lovely!!!! Old mine cut, please do not re cut it, looks to be set in platinum 1920's type setting. They usually aren't stamped with a maker. The diamond has some color to it meaning it isn't Icey white but that is typical of these diamonds. The clarity is hard to tell from your photo but I don't see black carbon spots. This type of cut is meant to throw big bright broad flashes of light when compared to modern cuts. You can find similar diamonds on eBay and old world diamonds for price comparison. Price depends on size, color, clarity and cut. Appraisers who aren't well versed in old cuts may try to have you recut the stone. There is a market for that ring just the way it is!!!!!

High carat gold ladies sapphire cocktail ring. Might be hall marked, so check. If its marked by a famous maker the price shoots up.

Both are beautiful. Let us know what the appraiser says.

Btw there is a way for you to put it up for sale here, on PS, if you desire :love: :love: :naughty: :naughty:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Harald,

There really is not good way to guess what they might be worth. It's all going to depend on the side of the stone(s), the color and clarity, the type of metal and weight. And what you may be able to sell them for is quite different from what you might have to pay if you bought these new.

Where are you located? (just general area, nothing specific)

Definitely looking forward to seeing what the appraiser has to say. Love, love, love, the OMC.

liz

Harald90

Rough_Rock
Hi

I'm located in Oslo/Norway.
I found a hallmark in the gold ring. Its a O i think inside a squere turnd 45*.
Dont remember the english name for it :D

I'm going to another appraiser tomorrow just to Get an idea.
How long do an appraiser generaly need?

Regard
Harald

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Harald,

An O inside a diamond? Don't know how long the appraiser will take, but I'm glad you will be getting some info tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing what you find out.

liz

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad that you are going to get an appraisal. Whatever you do, don't sell the rings on the spot. If the appraiser offers to buy them, tell him you want to think about it. That way, you can spend some time looking at what a comparable ring would sell for (I'm speaking more of the old mine than the sapphire) before you accept any offer.

Harald90

Rough_Rock
The rings has been deliverd, getting them back tomorrow.
He could tell me that ring is proberbly from the 1900. But the senter stone is proberbly from the 1850.
The stone is a very brigth and white stone, in the vs1 range. More excact tomorrow.
A price estimate on assurense value is about $50.000 and $7000 but this is just an estimate as on grade of the 4 c's can meen a difrence of $5000 or more.

I will post more detail tomorrow.

Regard
Harald

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Harald,

Is that 50K to 70K? (You typed 50K and 7K) Looks like you have a nice diamond on your hands! Looking forward to seeing what you have to share with us tomorrow.

liz

Harald90

Rough_Rock
The appraiser is now done.

The first and most interesting ring has been given the following degrees, everything is about when the stones are taken out of its fitting.

Carrat: 3.7 :o
Cut: handcut, old mine cut, can not be graded because of this.
Clarity: VS1 or VS2 (there is one inclusion under one of the "grabbers" that makes this not an VVS 1)
Color: Top Wesselton - F - Very White

The ring is probably from the 1900's but the diamond is probably from the 1860's.
Everything is handmade in platonium, very good work, but the stone is set at a slight angle.

The value is set at about $ 48,500 with the current exchange rate. not including any antique value.
:appl:

The appraiser is the guy that trais appraisers for the Norwegian gold and jewelry assosiation.
He comes highly recommended.

The second ring is probably from the 1940's. Its made in gold and the stones are diamonds and shappires.
The ring is made by a cast, but the stamp is unreadeble due to ware.
The value is set at about $ 7000 with the current exchange rate. not including any antique value.

How mutch will the "antique" part affect the value if i deside to sell it? I must admit that I'm considering it, but the rings are very buityfull, so I'm not sure.
If any of you have any more questions please let me know.

Regard
Harald

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Harald,

Did the appraiser tell you that the value on the diamond was if you wanted to replace it (retail value), if you wanted to sell to a jeweler, or if you want to sell it to an individual? If it's replacement or insurance value, that's not what you are likely to be able to get for it if you sell it. Your situation may be different in Norway, but what you can expect to sell something for is somewhat less here in the US (sometimes a LOT less) than the appraised value. If you plan to sell it, you may want to pay to have it removed from the setting and graded by a reputable lab. That way, the you will have a certificate for the diamond that tells the potential buyer exactly what s/he is getting.

If you decide to sell, you may consider selling it on consignment. If you were in the US, there are some reputable vendors that we could recommend, but I don't know anything about who might be available in Europe. Maybe some of our European members will have some suggestions.

Very cool inheritance!

liz

Hera

Ideal_Rock
What are the dimensions of the oval stone?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Harald,

What wonderful rings! The advice above is excellent. I'd suggest you send the diamond ring to a lab for certification as to its quality. It is definitely worth the expense. Then an appraiser can give you a more certain estimate of what it would bring -- and as Libby said, figures for insurance, retail, auction, or individual sales can be quite different.

If the diamond ring is truly worth that much, you might consider contacting Sotheby, Christies, or Bonham's auction houses too. They may have some kind of contact in Oslo. If not, an email to their jewelry depts. in London with photos & what info you have would be good. They will respond with suggestions as to what to do.

I love the sapphire ring better than the diamond -- it's artistic & unique.

Please let us know what you discover about the rings and what you decide to do -- we're very interested!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results