shape
carat
color
clarity

Evaluate my potential engagement diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peptidbond

Rough_Rock
Good afternoon,

I have been lurking this site for about three weeks, with an occasional post or two. Also, I have been using the services here and elsewhere to shop for an engagement diamond. I have found what I think is the right diamond and it is headed my way for appraisal and evaluation. That being said, I would like to get some opinions from the members here (and the "Cut Nut" if he stops by). Below I will list what my criteria is and then the specifics for the diamond I am after. I will not mention the vendor nor the price so that I can get your honest opinions. Please let me know what you think of the diamond and what you would have paid (internet prices, not B&M). I really appreciate it. Considering the size of this purchase, I need some validation to avoid shopper's regret.

My Criteria
Cut: AGS 000 and nothing less (would prefer H&A, but not critical)
Depth must be: 59.5-60.5% (maximize spread)
Table must be: 55-56%
Pavilion angle: 40.2-40.7
Crown angle: 34.2-35.5
Girdle: faceted, thin to slightly thick
Fluorescence: none to medium at most
Culet: none/pointed
Color: E/F/G
Clarity: VS1
Carat: 1.20-1.40 (or biggest for my budget given specs above)

If you can't tell, I was going for an HCA score below 1.0 in TIC

What I Bought:
Cut: AGS 000 and certed AGS
H&A: See images. Arrows are off. Hearts are good
Depth: 60.5
Table: 56
Pavilion angle: 40.9 (a little off of my specs)
Crown angle: 34 (a little off of my specs)
Girdle: thin-medium, faceted
Fluor: none
Culet: none/pointed
Color: G (vendor mentioned it was a lower end G)
Clarity: VS1
Carat: 1.326

HCA score: depending on whether you use the crown/pavilion angles or the crown/pavilion percentages, it scores between 0.70 and 0.90.

Certificate: see attached
Hearts image: see attached
Arrows image: see attached
Daylight image: have nothing, requested it. Hopefully he can send one.

So, tell me what you think of the diamond and what you might have paid. I would love to hear any comments. Also, please study the "arrows" image and let me know if you see anything wrong (aside from the arrow alignment). I see something, but it might be in my mind. I just want to know if anyone else can see the same thing.

Asschman

Rough_Rock
Peptidbond, glad to see your post and welcome to Pricescope. I don''t know a whole lot about round stones, being a bit asscher-obsessed, but I think you might get more responses to your query if you narrow the focus and specifically pinpoint the issues you are concerned about. Open-ended posts can be difficult to answer, versus offering an opinion or comment on a specific point--like table size or pavilion angle.

As for pricing--pretty much a cardinal rule of the diamond trade, at least from what I can see, is that one person may be willing to pay a whole lot more for a diamond than someone else. So trying to validate the price you paid with other''s responses is probably not going to net you a lot of feedback.

Looks and sounds like a nice stone to me though.

best of luck.

Asschman

peptidbond

Rough_Rock
That certainly makes sense. Well, let me tighten up my question some.

This is my second choice diamond: http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-901505.htm

The price difference between my first choice (above) and my second choice is about $300-400. Both have the same clarity and color and ideal cuts. My first choice is larger by 0.125 carats. My first choice has an OK H&A pattern. My second choice has an excellent H&A pattern, which is not my primary concern. My first choice scores a 0.70-0.90 HCA. My second choice scores a solid 0.90 HCA.

So, given the price, size, and cut differences, which would you choose? Again, this is a bit subjective, but I think it is worth asking. Also, I am sure some women will chime in with comments on the importance of size. Keep in mind, that I am after the ULTIMATE cut.

Thanks again everyone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps I do not understand this right. You say: "H&A not primary concern" and " I a after the ultimate cut".

Since there is no agreement on what is "ultimate cut"... what does that mean to you ?
33.gif

peptidbond

Rough_Rock
Here is what I mean by the ultimate cut:

1. AGS 000
2. A low HCA score (although I know this does not guarantee much)
3. Depth range or 59.5% - 60.5% to maximize spread
4. A deep red color with black arrows and black "boties" when viewed with ideal scope
5. Little to no leakage when viewed with ideal scope (no white areas and only some pink areas is acceptable).
6. H&A would be very nice and something that I consider, but certainly not necessary.

By the way, I ordered my expert ideal scope last Wednesday. Hopefully it will arrive today or tomorrow.

chantheman

Rough_Rock
Just some thoughts.....

1) In seeking a sub 1.0 HCA score, recognize that this may be a different look than the firey sparkle of diamonds you are used to. The information provided with the HCA shows lower scores as being possibly a look that is "not for everyone".

2) I am no expert on fancy cuts, but I do not believe you have to worry about bowties in round stones. I don't think I have ever seen a bowtie in a round.

3)You will have a hard time finding a stone with no white areas. The white and pink areas provide contrast which adds to the overall appeal of the stone. If you found a stone with little contrast, the overall appearance would likely be poor. Often even the best cut rounds have some small areas of white. See the idealscope images provided by WF, GOG, SC, etc.

I just post these thoughts as you need to make sure you fully understand what you are asking for.

peptidbond

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 11:38:48 AM
Author: chantheman
Just some thoughts.....

1) In seeking a sub 1.0 HCA score, recognize that this may be a different look than the firey sparkle of diamonds you are used to. The information provided with the HCA shows lower scores as being possibly a look that is ''not for everyone''.

2) I am no expert on fancy cuts, but I do not believe you have to worry about bowties in round stones. I don''t think I have ever seen a bowtie in a round.

3)You will have a hard time finding a stone with no white areas. The white and pink areas provide contrast which adds to the overall appeal of the stone. If you found a stone with little contrast, the overall appearance would likely be poor. Often even the best cut rounds have some small areas of white. See the idealscope images provided by WF, GOG, SC, etc.

I just post these thoughts as you need to make sure you fully understand what you are asking for.

Chan,

Thanks for the information. Maybe I should be more clear about a couple points. Have a look at the attached image. by "bow ties", I mean the little black triangles between the arrows. Maybe I used the wrong term. As for a total lack of white, I only mean under the ideal scope. In the attached image you can see that it is practically free of any leakage. This is what I am looking for.

I did notice on the HCA calculator that it said "below 1 is not for everyone". From what I read, it meant that a sub-1 score could appear a little dark. However, I did not think this would equate to less brillance and fire. I thought the opposite. I thought this would mean a darker stone in even lighting (i.e. office fluorescents or overcast skies), but more brilliance and fire in direct lighting (sun, indoor spot lights). Am I wrong here? By the way, I have my first choice stone now and the above condition are what I am observing. In over-cast lighting, the stone is bright, but not brilliantly white. When held in the dark with one light coming in the windows, it lights on fire. I certainly think it looks good.

idealscope_sample.jpeg

chantheman

Rough_Rock
Pep,

The idealscope image you have posted looks great. You are seeing a minimization of leakage, but more importantly you are seeing a great deal of symmetry throughout the stone. Rhino has commented on many occasion in PS about "pinpoint blacks". The little black spots between the shafts of these arrows, I believe are some of the pinpoint blacks, that add to the performance of a diamond. The key however is whether or not the performance is augmented to a level that is discernible to anything other than an optical analyis machine. If you are looking for a great stone, you have found it with the idealscope image you have posted. It also gives you a nice arrows pattern. If this is considered an H+A by the vendor, then the diamond has passed some very critical eyes.

With regard to the fire and brilliance question, take a look at the post below, as Rhino speaks to brilliance and contrast....

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-for-chan-and-whomever-else-may-know.25132/

If the stone you have posted the idealscope image for has a low HCA it most likely still delivers a great balance of brilliance and fire. You seem to know what you are doing, and it looks like you are on your way to securing a great stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results