shape
carat
color
clarity

Red gemstones in rose gold...opinions?

noopnoop

Rough_Rock
New poster here, and new to the coloured gemstone world as well so please be a bit gentle. :wink2: Looking for some opinions!

I'm about to embark on my first custom made ring. I fell in love with the look of light pink stones (morganite, pink moissanite) in rose gold, and then I saw someone's Umbalite garnet on here and loved that too. This is going to be a "memory" ring in memory of my grandfather who passed away last summer, and his birthstone is garnet so I was sold.

I had a Rhodolite garnet cut for me and I LOVE it, but it has more red than I was expecting. In your (more expert than mine) opinions, how will this look with rose gold in a diamond halo? The few people I have told about the ring, have said not to do rose gold with the colour of the stone, but I really dont want another white gold ring. Alternatively, i will set it as a pendant in white gold and wear it as a necklace, but a ring is my preference.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mind posting a picture of your garnet? Have you placed it on a copper penny (if you are in the US or have access to a penny) to see how it looks?

noopnoop

Rough_Rock
That's a really good idea, I haven't thought of doing that.

Here's a picture of the stone... I know it's not a popular shape here, so I was hesitant to post a picture. I had planned to set it in a diamond halo with split shanks to wear as a RHR.

_4378.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind hearts at all, especially anything that is not pink. :bigsmile: My only caution is the stone may darken a bit in a more enclosed type setting so since you are going for a halo setting, my suggestion is to get a halo with an open gallery. The high crown of the garnet is yummy and it is certainly more red than purple for a rhodolite!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's a very nice cut. I agree with Chrono that you would need an open gallery to let in as much light as possible. Try holding it in your fingers, covering the pavilion up to the girdle (or use aluminum foil) to see how it would look with a closed gallery if you're considering that.

Have you thought of 18K yellow gold? I think that would set off the stone's color nicely & provide warm contrast. Rose gold would be ok but could make the whole ring quite pink.

It's a really lovely idea as a memory of your grandfather, thoughtful & loving.

--- Laurie

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That garnet is gorgeous. I think it would be stunning in rose gold!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I quite like red hearts! Disregard the subject, and her, uh, assets, but I love the necklace!

I thought about doing red stones in rose gold, but ultimately decided to go with yellow gold (although it hasn't been made yet) to make the stone look as red as possible!

I'd put the garnet on top of a penny and see how it looks.

Can we get more pictures please?

heidi_after2.jpg

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi. I love umbalites and rose gold, so I'm biased.
I think rose gold will bring out the purple tones and yellow gold will bring out the red tones.
To help you visualize, here is a pic of my umbalite sitting on top of an empty rose gold setting.
Enjoy your new stone!

img_4518.jpg

noopnoop

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice! I am thrilled with the cut of this one.

I'd like to bring out the purple more than the red (I really don't wear any red, and wear a lot of dark purple and light pink) so if setting it in rose gold will bring out the purple tones, that's definitely the direction i will go.

What is meant by an open galley? A space between the stone and the halo?

I will get more pictures as soon as it's in my posession! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An open gallery allows you to see the stone easily from the side view. I sort of circled the open gallery part in the attached picture. There is nothing in this area (just air).

An enclosed gallery has lots of decorative accents on the basket and covers up the side of the stone. Depending on how enclosed it is, some settings also cover up the underside of the ring as well.

custom-double-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-1973.jpg

i5977pr.jpg

red_mark.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
sniff sniff...my FLY made she RIP ;( :nono:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone! I love the color and the cut. I wonder if Gene has any more of that rough. Please post pics of the finished ring :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1363290355|3404902 said:

Oh Sarahbear, I'm so sorry. I ripped it off WF's website. It looked like the perfect example of an open gallery halo. :(sad. I can't delete it anymore but I can ask Ella to remove it for me. Is that all right with you?

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I love a red heart - I can't wait to see the finished piece!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1363301121|3405123 said:
Sarahbear621|1363290355|3404902 said:

Oh Sarahbear, I'm so sorry. I ripped it off WF's website. It looked like the perfect example of an open gallery halo. :(sad. I can't delete it anymore but I can ask Ella to remove it for me. Is that all right with you?
Oh no worries at all Chrono! I loved that ring- just mad at myself for losing her! Makes me want to hit my head against hte wall. I just hope someone is enjoying her and that she didn't end up in a vacum or dumpster!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results