shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with selecting a present

Vlad143

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I realize this is gem forum that mostly deals with rings, but thought I would ask the question here anyway, since it deals with gems. I'm hoping to get some advice on buying a present for my wife and here's my "want" list. Art deco bracelet with colored stones (i want them to be natural without any artificial additions/changes), possibly diamonds (but for my money I realize that might not happen) and have a 18K or platinum setting. I would like to spend around 2000$ and have it as an "antique roadshow, my mother gave this to me" type investment/present for my daughter. I realize having a "name" like Cartier or Tiffany attached to the piece will sky-rocket the price but in my understanding it's probably better to have something smaller and simpler with a name, rather than something more complex without one.

Now for the question :) Any suggestions on where I can find something like that or probably something close to what I'm looking for? I looked on Ebay, most of the filigree bracelets are somewhat identical and are not that interesting to me, I would prefer to have something more unique.

Thanks much!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are gorgeous Art Deco bracelets on eBay sold by honest vendors / people but my guess is that it is likely that the stones are treated in some form or fashion. Expect them to be heated at the minimum. The Cartier or Tiffany names do not guarantee the lack of treatment and unless stated explicitly, their stones are also heated at the minimum (at least for sapphires). I will leave it up to other posters who are good Art Deco scouts for suggestions.

http://jewelry.rubylane.com/jewelry/,ss=bracelet
http://www.langantiques.com/products/type/art-deco-bracelets/publish_date/desc/all

Vlad143

Rough_Rock
Chrono, thank you for the response. Can I then assume that most natural stones are heat treated (at least)? I would imagine unless the dealer had done it him/herself, there's no certain way for the dealer to tell if it was heated? Would an unheated stone always or most of the time have inclusions?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are looking for something in the Art Deco era, you'll end up with either sapphire, ruby or emerald. These 3 types are almost always treated either by heat, clarity enhancement or both. Other gem types like garnet and (most) spinels are never treated in any way. You can get untreated sapphire, emerald or ruby but expect to pay much more for them. Not only that, it becomes impractical to have each stone verified by a lab considering the size and quantity vs cost. The treatment is often done close to the mines so the dealer would not do it himself / herself. Both heated and unheated stones will show inclusions under high magnification. A skilled gemmologist can tell you if a stone has been heated or not.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bracelet is narrow in width and might be too short for someone with a larger wrist size. The total carat weight of the sapphire and diamonds are also small. 6x sapphires and 3x diamonds. I would ask the vendor if he knows the sapphires to be real or synthetic since synthetics were popular around that time too.

Vlad143

Rough_Rock
Chrono, that's probably the reason the price is so low. :) I sent the seller an email, i'll let you know the response. If by some miracle the stones are natural, is the price more or less OK?

Vlad143

Rough_Rock
Chrono, the sapphire is synthetic, hence the low price. The search goes on.

Thanks for your help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry the bracelet wasn't right for you. You are more than welcome.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Hi there!

I'm really sorry to say but at that price point you are going to have a heck of time finding a brand name, PLAT bracelet with natural colored stones for 2k or under. Chrono already mentioned this but the VAST majority of Art Deco pieces that are true orginals will have synthetic colored stones especially baguettes. If you are holding out for natural you will be hunting for a needle in a haystack. You will either need to double/ triple your budget or accept that the colored stones will be true to that time period and synthetic.

Here are some that are around your budget. Some are over or under but I think they are quite nice.

My favorite and comes in at $1350 but no colored stones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ART-DECO-PLATINUM-20-PT-DIAMONDS-LADIES-INTRICATE-FILIGREE-BRACELET-/160785626128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256f91f410

More vintage then art deco but still pretty and well under your budget:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-DECO-14K-PLATINUM-TOP-DIAMONDS-SAPPHIRES-FILIGREE-BRACELET-/140890139345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cdb4ead1

Just over budget at 2.5k
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-Deco-Antique-Diamond-and-Sapphire-14K-White-Gold-and-Platinum-Bracelet-7-25-/230936199192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c4dec018

A nice alternative at 1.3k with aquas. I think this makes it a bit less art deco-y but still a classic piece that can be passed down to the next generation.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-ART-DECO-14K-PLATINUM-DIAMONDS-AQUAMARINE-GEMS-LADIES-BRACELET-/130702152464?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6e749310

Hope that helps you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB,
The first one is gorgeous! If I were a bracelet wearer, I'd be all over it in a minute.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
SB, I've had my eye on that first one, but didn't go for it because I was wondering how the plain links would look in person.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Chrono- I know right! I love that it is elegant but not a full "bracelet".

pregcurious|1363270690|3404679 said:
SB, I've had my eye on that first one, but didn't go for it because I was wondering how the plain links would look in person.

Honestly if i had a bling budget right now I would have purchased this one. With a 14 day return period I would want to see this baby in person. I personally really like the plain links because I think it will let the bracelet go back and forth between casual and dressy. Plus it will make the bracelet easy to size so it will lay flat on the wrist so the showy part won't flip or turn under.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results