shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited a setting -- need inspiration!

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! :)

Last time I was here, I had a sentimental large sapphire I had been given as a gift, and I was needing help with a setting. After all of your all's help, I found a setting and I absolutely love the ring! It is more of a "special occasion" ring, though.

Now, I've inherited a ring setting from my grandma, who is 90, (it was her Mom's ring), and the ring is at least 120 years old. It is yellow gold, and very misshapen. There is nothing inside of it showing the gold amount, but there is a maker's mark (looks like a railroad crossing sign but each of the four "sections" has a little triangle inside of it). The gold seems very soft.

I need to have it re-shaped and re-sized (I think it is around a size 8 or 10, and I am a size 4.5-5). I don't know if the prongs will have to be re-built?

I want an every day ring, and I want it to last -- something I can pass on to my children. It looks like it would take a very tiny stone.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what would look good in a simple, delicate yellow gold setting? It's very plain, so I'd love something with some personality.

My favorite stone is tanzanite, but I am worried that it will be too delicate? I was looking at a blue (teal) diamond, but I don't know if that would look pretty in yellow gold? My birthstone is an emerald. I also though perhaps a "mint green" stone would be beautiful in it? I don't know, though. I need your all's expert advise!! :) Thank you all so much!

Please ignore my awful hands -- they desperately need lotion!

_4400.jpg

_4401.jpg

_4402.jpg

_4403.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs look to be in poor condition. Before starting this project, it is best to have your jeweller advise you about the prongs. Rebuilding prongs can be very costly, especially when you have 6 prongs.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, I agree that the setting looks disfigured, probably beyond repair. A jeweler will be able to tell you more. I wonder if you could find a goldsmith to melt the gold down and build it into a completely new solitaire setting. I'm not talking about getting cash for gold - what I mean is to preserve the sentimentality of the ring by using just the gold from it to make a new ring that would still be an heirloom.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I believe that Hunt Country Jewelers will melt down gold and remake them into new items. There might be a minimum amount of metal that they require.

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your input! It is unfortunately quite disfigured. I guess I will have to take it to my local shop and see if it is salvageable. If not, I agree -- I would at least like to have it melted down and then made into a new solitaire setting for sentimental reasons. Thank you again for your help!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you started this thread as I don't know what to do with the 22kt gold wedding bands my parents passed on to me as well. They are too large, somewhat misshapen and all the beautiful engraving has worn down to nothingness. I like the idea of melting down the gold for reuse into something wearable, probably in a design which will remind me strongly of them.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Jericho, I contacted Hunt Country a while ago to melt down yellow gold, and they will even alloy it for you it want something like palladium white gold. The issue for me was the minimum weight they required. I also have 1 ring waiting to be melted down that I want to make into a plain white gold wedding band.

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock
You all have just given me a great idea. I think I know what I'm going to do now. Chrono, when you talked about your parents' wedding bands, you just inspired me. I also inherited my Mom's engagement ring after she passed away, and it has tremendous sentimental value to me. I have always wanted it to be my engagement ring someday whenever that day comes, but I like dainty jewelry...and her engagement ring has a wide, white gold band.

I think what I would like to do is combine this antique, yellow gold setting from my Dad's side of the family and have it melted down and made into a new setting, and then use my Mom's diamond on it for the stone. That way I would be combining history from both sides of my family. The only thing is that I would like to have pave diamonds on the band. Does anyone know if you have a yellow gold band melted down, can it be re-made to have pave diamonds on it?

I cannot imagine a more sentimental ring to me if it combines both my Dad's family history and my Mom's!!

Chrono, I love your idea of turning your parents' wedding bands into a new piece of jewelry that would be sentimental to you.

Pregcurious -- thank you so much for the info about Hunt Country! I will definitely look into them! Thank you!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
jerichoheart|1363276547|3404745 said:
Does anyone know if you have a yellow gold band melted down, can it be re-made to have pave diamonds on it?

Yes, once it is melted down, it can be made into what you like. You may want to combine the yellow and white gold to be melted down and alloyed into 1 gold color if you are making a wedding set for yourself.

johnfish

Rough_Rock
I highly recommend Hunt Counrty. Claire and Ed are really great people to work with and have created some wonderful designs. The ring in my avatar (My fiance's Ering) is a Hunt Country creation.

John

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results