shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations on a good restoration bench

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all, I have recently inherited a very old antique ring that has been passed down in my family. It is VERY sentimental and I have become rather attached to it - regardless of monetary value. The ring contains a rather sizable emerald in a gold bezel, and it surrounded by a halo of diamonds (bags, marquis, and round). It definitely needs some rehab, the emerald has a chip, it is missing one of the marquis diamonds, and I would like the other diamonds checked for stability.

I currently reside on the east coast, and would consider DC/Baltimore or Boston local... NYC isn't too far and I wouldn't mind a bench there as long as they would be able to meet with me on a weekend. This ring means a lot to me, so I would NEVER mail it - to the point where if I can't find a bench with good recommendations with in driving distance, I'll just wear it as is.

Would any of you beautiful ladies know of a reputable bench I could meet with? I would prefer there not be be a middle man.

Thanks in advance!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Mico,

I recently found this place: http://www.craigcoyne.com/products/vintage/

It's run by a guy named Sam. When I spoke on the phone with him, he said he specializes in old pieces and is something of a jewelry historian. This got me intrigued, so I drove to Ellicott city and checked out his shop. It's very nice, and Sam seems to be knowledgeable. Might be worth checking out.

If/when you find the right bench, I hope you come back and post here. Good luck with this project!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! Someone else recommended Hunt country, I'll keep you posted.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
It's in NYC but Adam at Old World Diamonds has done several restorations for some PSers rings. However, that was just the setting and I have no idea if he does colored stones- but there is no harm in asking!

can you post pictures of the ring! It sounds gorgeous!

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I want to recommend Jack at The Court Jeweler in Brooklyn. He is one of the few jewelers/restorers of any kind who is open on Saturdays in New York. He does his own work upstairs in his tiny shop and it is very good, in my opinion. Don't know if he handles lapidary issues but you could ask. He will find matching stones for you. Normal hours are 2 to 6, Monday to Saturday, but call ahead. He also sells vintage pieces, most of them not expensive. Cash only. Here is the full info from Yelp, where I notice he is highly rated, including by me:
60 Court St
(between Joralemon St & Livingston St)
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Neighborhood: Brooklyn Heights
(718) 834-8940

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the recommendation, I will probably be in DC before NYC, but will try to get an appointment with him. I am also looking for a bench in Boston, I will be there next weekend.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results