shape
carat
color
clarity

Durability of an antique seed pearl ring?

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Hello,

A lot of time has passed since my first posts here about my engagement ring and I've been looking around for a new one. Thanks to everyone for your help. I'm on the verge of buying a victorian gold ring with seed pearls and a small diamond (with a return policy). I like the ring a lot, and it's not terribly expensive; it would be a ring "for now" if my fantasy ring comes along. But, I'm concerned about the durability of the ring.

The ring is definitely pre-1900, and has seed pearls and a small diamond collet set with a closed back. I do not believe that the diamond is foiled (it's not that early). I am a bit leery of posting the actual ring, but a similarly constructed ring can be found here: http://www.rubylane.com/item/518197-RGC11845V/Early-Victorian-Turquoise-Pearl-Emerald

Would it be a terrible idea to wear something like this every day? The pearls are small, look to be in good condition, and the collets are pretty high (if I have the term right). I'm okay with their being some wear to the ring over time, but I want to be able to wash my hands without ruining it. I don't use lotion or work with my hands very much and would take it off to cook and clean.

Looking to decide by tomorrow (I know, short notice) so if anyone reads this and can weigh in, I'd appreciate it.

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Also, I meant to ask if it's possible to resize such a ring, by a skilled jeweler who deals in antiques. It's about half a size off (larger).

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Pearls are easily damaged. I would be very wary of wearing it every day. Of course, it's made it this long so maybe it's not a big problem.

liz

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I'm not insistent on wearing it every day, but I'd like to wear it often.

Are seed pearls even more fragile than regular pearls?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alyssak|1360626798|3377899 said:
Thanks. I'm not insistent on wearing it every day, but I'd like to wear it often.

Are seed pearls even more fragile than regular pearls?

I think you would treat seed pearls the same way you would treat any other pearl jewelry. From the limited reading I did, I didn't get the impression seed pearls were any more fragile than other kinds of pearls. I think you care for them the same way you'd care for other pearl jewelry. There are a bunch of sites about this, I listed just a couple.

http://www.langantiques.com/university/index.php/Seed_Pearl
http://jewelry.about.com/cs/pearls/a/cleaning_pearls.htm

As for washing hands with a pearl ring on, after googling it the consensus seems to be it's better to take it off while washing your hands. I guess an occasional hand washing is ok if the soap you're using is mild. But the fact that it's antique and a delicate gemstone would make me baby it a bit. I have an antique OEC ring and I err on the side of caution and am pretty careful with it. That said, I think you'd be fine wearing it fairly often as long as you take it off to cook, clean, garden, working with hands a lot, etc.

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I actually skipped bidding on the ring, though I kind of wish I hadn't as I like the style very much:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-petite-Victorian-Diamond-seed-Pearl-18K-gold-cluster-ring-/130843741958?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=mZmFX0g5C%252BCcq66aJtbj42%252BVBvo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc..

I may consider something similar, but I do wash my hands very frequently. I'm among students and on public transportation and I wash them frequently when I teach to avoid getting sick.

Do you take your OEC ring off to wash your hands? If you are in public, what do you do with it?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, this is a little embarrassing - I leave my ring on in public but I have perfected the method of washing my fingers and palms without getting the back of my hand soapy! But since the stone in my ring is a diamond it's not that big of a deal if I do get a little soap on it. The issue with a pearl ring is that the soap might affect the luster/finish of the pearl it it's too strong.

alyssak

Rough_Rock
That's not embarrassing! I took your advice about pearls, and I'm going to incorporate this technique into my life when I do find an antique ring :).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results