shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Diamond Wristwatch....Anyone use them to tell time ?

NoOrganic4Me

Rough_Rock
I have a Vintage Hamilton Diamond Wristwatch that I love, The Bling is Amazing. The downside to owning these beauties is the mechanical movement. I have had it serviced, changed crown, changed some spring thing inside. now, it is running 5 minutes slow or fast depending on its mood.
My question is to all of you Antique and Vintage Jewelry Ladies....

Do you expect to tell time with your antique wristwatch, or is it simply worn out of love and appreciation of the Glamour days long gone , when a man would actually take his lady " Dancing ".... Would it bother anyone if their watch wasnt giving acurate time.. I think that I am not going to get it serviced anymore and just love it for what it is---- a piece of American history.

Your thoughts ????

hamilton_watch_0.jpg

hamilton_watch_002.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Vintage Diamond Wristwatch....Anyone use them to tell ti

Good question! I'm curious to hear the responses too, though I don't own a vintage watch. But seeing your watch, I wish I did! What a beauty!!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I eventually want one of these babies, so I'll be tuning in for responses, too!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I just bought one, so I certainly hope it's at least a possibility! I've had wind-up watches in the past that have worked quite functionally, and from around the same period: they might have been chunky men's watches, but I don't think the bling will invalidate the movement (hopefully). That said, even if it's just a beautiful thing? Well, so be it. Half the people I know just use their phones, anyway. And that's fine and all, but until I need to have Wonder Woman's bracelets? I'm pretty sure I'll be wearing a watch, so, a) I can always double-check if I know it's going slow or fast, and, b) what better way to employ my left wrist?

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful watch NoOrganic4me! I love the old watches, have a few and lust after many more.
I wear them when we go out or for occasions and they keep fair time but at those times I always have my phone with me if I really wanted to know the exact time. I would say accept it for what it is and enjoy it!

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock

Nice wristwatch!!
I totally agree with artdecogirl!!
I would accept it and enjoy it even though it is not that exact.
Well, In fact if I have such a watch, I would not wear it everyday, only some very important occasions would be the time for it to be represented, and the moment I guess it just function as a decoration, but when I did not need its decorative function, I would not wear it, this time an exact and functional watch would be used to replace the one! =)

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock

lovely watch! i would wear it decoratively on special occasions and not worry about how good time it keeps

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

Here's mine, a Gruen from the 20's. Somehow missing tiny winding knob (and sideways?), but still beauteous.

Got it "cleaned" when I first got it and then all the patina was taken off. I meant "clean the guts so it runs great" but did not know to say that at the time. Still waiting for that patina to kick in...

_3230.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I have two vintage watches and they both keep perfect time, as long as I keep them wound (one full wind lasts the day). Some vintage watches just need complete overhauls though. Not all of them are going to last forever.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

oh that is beautiful!!! :appl: :appl: I have one vintage watch but nothing like that!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yes, when I wear mine I use it to tell time. I do find it needs to be wound carefully every day, and even then loses a few minutes per day.

The biggest issue for me with antique watches is getting them serviced. I could find only one old expert in my city and I don't know how long he will be around for! lol

But antiques are totally gorgeous and completely worth it.

Anne

anne_watch2.jpg

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

I'll need to take a photo of one of mine, but I've given up keeping them running.
I adore vintage watches, but I've just become too frustrated with having them cleaned & serviced. When I was young my late uncle was a watchmaker and took care of the family timepieces. And when I lived in Switzerland it felt mandatory to wear a good watch.....but now I just turn to my phone. Sort of sad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results