shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock
So the stone is picked out, next is the setting. What''s good and what''s bad? What are things I should look for concerning quality? I want yellow gold. But, do I want 18k or 14k? Wouldn''t 14k be stronger, more reliable than the 75% gold 18k? Platinum or white gold prongs? I know platinum is stronger, but is it worth the extra $$$? Here is the the setting I''m looking at:
ring.jpg

Setting Specs:
Stock number: 355
Metal: 18k yellow gold
Width: 3.8mm
Fit: Comfort
Prong metal: Platinum
Price: $300 (Blue Nile)

This setting will be holding a .91 ct ideal cut princess with H color and VS2 clarity. Is there a "best" place to buy settings? I would like to get one from DCD to make the process simpler. Have it all set up there and shipped to Martin Fuller to take a look before the big delivery.

Chuck

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 18kt gold gives it a richer look and thus makes it more special as an engagement ring. It is still pretty strong so I think it is more of a personal preference. As for the prongs: I personally prefer Pt prongs as they are strong yet malleable. I don''t think it will cost a lot more than WG prongs because, well, it doesn''t take THAT much metal (unlike the band). That said, there is also nothing wrong with WG prongs.

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock

I really like the setting above, but I talked to a jeweler, well, saleswoman, at Glassner Jewelers and she seemed to think 14k gold for the band would be best. However, I agree with you completely about the richness of the color, at least I think so, and the platinum prongs for strength and durability. I can stand a couple of scratches, but I''m not sure I can stand the white gold turning and needing to be re-rhodium-ed. I’d rather set it and hopefully forget about it.

At the moment I’m waiting for an email from DCD to see if they have a setting similar to the one I found at Blue Nile (shown above). I want everything done there to simplify the process. So, pending an email from DCD, I may have my diamond ring ready to go for next week!

Chuck

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kind'a like this one more... (ex-Tiffany, Lucida setting - held a half carat diamond)

Yellow gold ? Definitely ! It is said that 14k is more durable and this is probably true on average, but there are many kinds of either alloy and those go untold at the sales point. I don't think 18k is not wearable, especially a simple design that would not suffer from the ocasional repolishing.

CrossProngSquare.jpg

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock
Noting the thickness of that band, 3.8mm, I don''t think there will be too many issues regarding wearability.
9.gif

Chuck

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock
Talked to Blue Nile earlier today. I wasn''t aware that they won''t sell just settings. The fellow I talked to said they had too many returns due to people not educating themselves enough on the size of the stone and it''s relationship with the prongs.

The search continues as I await an email from DCD to see if they have anything similar to setting #355.

Chuck

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2005 105:15 PM
Author: Dropdown3

The fellow I talked to said they had too many returns due to people not educating themselves enough on the size of the stone and it''s relationship with the prongs.
Yeah... I bet
11.gif
Stock photos on the site definitely help create "screen shock".

It must have hurt after setting up the fancy setting viewer and what not.

Thanks for the tip !

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi Dropdown
There is a thread on FAQ /www.pricescope.com/forum/faq1/settings-are-not-an-after-thought-what-you-need-to-know-t18307.html">here discussing what to look for in settings.
Hope this is useful.
1.gif

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
TAKE 2 (my first time linking)
Try: here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results