shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Fluorescence affect OEC's in the same way as MRB's

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I have started looking into OEC's to make a ring for myself, in the 0.5-0.8ct range with either E colour or I-M colour. Yes, the range in colour is completely different. I love the clear and crispness of an E. However, I also love how the warmer colours of an OEC look and how it makes me feel, thanks to the numerous pics on here. :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :twirl: :twirl:

I have read a lot on this forum and also searching on the web for the stones; including diamond bistro, ebay, vendors etc...And, I get the opportunity to meet Poppy in a few weeks!!! WOo HOOO

The questions I have are:
1) do fluorescence affect the OEC's in the same manner that fluorescence affect MRB's? I have seen the effect on MRB's on the warmer colours and i like it. I just haven't come across that in any of the postings on the OEC's.
2) is getting certification for diamonds (OEC or otherwise) under 1 ct not required? I see some OEC's that are for sale that do have not have certificates.

thanx in advance.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
answer to #1 Fl. can affect each diamond differently...what most people love about fl. in a stone is that it gives it just more "personality"...here is an OEC with med. blue fl. and in certain lighting conditions causes the stone to take on a light blue color ....hubba hubba is right:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/356ct-Loose-Old-European-Cut/19804036_Qxwpx5#!i=1610940947&k=nKKGh89

So IMO, yes blue fl. can affect an old cut just like it can a MRB...take a look at the Brian Gavin "BLUES"...they are lovely.
The other added bonus to med. and strong blue fl. is that it usually discounts the diamond...HA! Most PSr's love blue fl. and desire to have a stone with strong blue fl. plus making a lower colored stone appear more white.

According to Jon on GOG, Out of all the stones with fl. only about 1% will be cloudy or milky from the fl. but you should always ask the vendor if this is the case with any stone that has fl.

Also fl. can be different colors...white, blue, yellow etc.

Good old Gold has a recent video on strong yellow fl. and is so interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxgEfSAstM8&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA&index=3

#2. No stone is required to be certified ...no matter the carat size or type of stone...colored or diamond. Usually the smaller stones are not worth the time and effort to have them certified on an older cut.

Hope this helps.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
ariel144|1356890077|3342892 said:
answer to #1 Fl. can affect each diamond differently...what most people love about fl. in a stone is that it gives it just more "personality"...here is an OEC with med. blue fl. and in certain lighting conditions causes the stone to take on a light blue color ....hubba hubba is right:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/356ct-Loose-Old-European-Cut/19804036_Qxwpx5#!i=1610940947&k=nKKGh89

So IMO, yes blue fl. can affect an old cut just like it can a MRB...take a look at the Brian Gavin "BLUES"...they are lovely.
The other added bonus to med. and strong blue fl. is that it usually discounts the diamond...HA! Most PSr's love blue fl. and desire to have a stone with strong blue fl. plus making a lower colored stone appear more white.

According to Jon on GOG, Out of all the stones with fl. only about 1% will be cloudy or milky from the fl. but you should always ask the vendor if this is the case with any stone that has fl.

Also fl. can be different colors...white, blue, yellow etc.

Good old Gold has a recent video on strong yellow fl. and is so interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxgEfSAstM8&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA&index=3

#2. No stone is required to be certified ...no matter the carat size or type of stone...colored or diamond. Usually the smaller stones are not worth the time and effort to have them certified on an older cut.

Hope this helps.

Hi Ariel,

Thanx for the info! :appl: Much appreciated. Yes, I saw the yellow Fluor from GoG. More to think about.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results