shape
carat
color
clarity

My SSP studs and silvery-blue pink Tahitians from PP!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been looking for a silvery blue baroque strand for some time now after having narrowly missed out on 1 about 6
months ago. (It was in my shopping cart, but when I was ready to check out, it was gone!) So when this strand came up
on PP, I pounced on it! I also decided to dip my toes in SS studs and ordered a pair of white 11-12mm studs.

First up, the tahitians:

pearl2_zps4a7553c9.gif
Professional Pic

img_1885.jpg

img_1882_0.jpg

In person, the silvery blue-pink overtones were very subtle - I just can't see it unless I look at it up close and against a white background. As can be seen in the pics, it's silvery-gray with no visible overtones when worn, which is somewhat disappointing.
Luster wise it's nice, but not as metallic as my other tahitian strand from PP.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Next up, the white SSP studs.

I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the SS studs. I always expected the luster to be more satiny,
but I was proven wrong - the luster was sharp, almost metallic like, with an amazing blue-pink orient to boot! There was absolutely no blemishes - it looked so perfect that if it wasn't for the orient, I would have thought it's not real!

img_1894.jpg

img_1895.jpg
You can see the blue pink orient in the picture, in person it's more obvious.

untitled_zps51c4c5b1.jpg

I really like the pearls, however, 11-12mm might be just a tad too big for me - it droops a little on my right ear lobe. I am thinking I might have to exchange it for 10-11mm, which I am somewhat loathe to do because these pearls are just perfection!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you keep the studs. All my large MM pearl droop forward so I purchased some stablizers for the back of the ear. Now all my studs, even my largest earrings stay upright. (these also work for Omega back earrings to keep them upright on the ear.)
They go on the post behind the ear before you put on the clutch back. I got a package of 100 for under 10 dollars at Rio Grande. Your local jeweler can order these in from Stuller also. Here is the link. If they are too large for your earlobe , peaking out and showing, you can easily clip them with toe nail clippers which are curved just perfect for this job.
https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Clear-Acrylic-Comfort-Disc/631033?pos=8

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Love your new strand and earrings alexiszoe. They look lovely on your neck and ear. I find that glamor shots in ideal lighting many times don't look the same when I get them home. Most times the pearls do come to life once you start wearing them. You move from though many light sources during the day and some are more pearl friendly than others. I hope you love your new pearls.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
dang, woman! those are beautiful and they look fab on you!

i have to quit looking here: you ladies are getting me all worked up re pearl purchases!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nacrelover,

thanks for the introduction to stablizers! You are a bad influence...now I am thinking I can carry off even larger pearls if it doesn't droop :Up_to_something:

Movie zombie,

thanks! with Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up, it's a good time to treat your yourself with some pearl purchases... :naughty:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Alexiszoe|1353047776|3307730 said:
Next up, the white SSP studs.

I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the SS studs. I always expected the luster to be more satiny,
but I was proven wrong - the luster was sharp, almost metallic like, with an amazing blue-pink orient to boot! There was absolutely no blemishes - it looked so perfect that if it wasn't for the orient, I would have thought it's not real!

img_1894.jpg

img_1895.jpg
You can see the blue pink orient in the picture, in person it's more obvious.

untitled_zps51c4c5b1.jpg

I really like the pearls, however, 11-12mm might be just a tad too big for me - it droops a little on my right ear lobe. I am thinking I might have to exchange it for 10-11mm, which I am somewhat loathe to do because these pearls are just perfection!

Still taking in all these great pics, but wanted to say I LOVE those earrings! And I see the pink in the photo. Shame about the weight cause they look perfect on you. Would freshwaters of the same size be the same weight?

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Innerkitten,

thanks! I adore them too :) The largest gem grade/freshadamas I could find were 10-11mm on POJ and 10-10.5mm on PP, so there's no equivalent freshwater studs size wise in comparison to the SS studs. Jeremy made a comment on the other pearl forum that it's very difficult to find top quality freshwater pearls once it starts to get large :(

Nacrelover,

thanks for the link! I suspect my girlfriends' husbands won't be too happy with me once I start sharing it IS possible to wear large pearls with no drooping :naughty:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Alexiszoe, You never know , they may be having problems with gemstone stud earrings over 1ct size. These are applicable to many styles. I collected gemstone studs and these helped there too.

I wear 12.5mm pearls most days and these do the trick for me. One thing of caution, they get lost easy. Clear acrylic and when you put the earrings on and off you are holding three items in your hands. My last house had rug in the bedroom and they are invisible when dropped. Good thing for a 100 in the package. ;p)

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1353096635|3308073 said:

Thanks NacreLover for that link. I ordered something similar to that in the past (same size too). But it has the gold colored clutch in the back, attached to the disc. It worked fine for me. Your link inspired me to look at bellafindings.com and found the same thing in 10mm https://www.bellafindings.com/jewelscart2000/store/12583-10mm-earring-plastic-disc-fricton-earnut , item 12583. They are $.047/piece up to 9 pieces, then price drops for the next quantity tier. More options for large earring lovers.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
HHPmom, I am allergic to mystery metal and can't use those other earring backs. I was forced to find an alternative, this was the best cheap option.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did I miss this thread?!! :rolleyes:

I kept checking the Pearls forum and didn't see your thread. I turned away a min or two and here you are, lol! :))

LUUUURRVE your new pearls, GF!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I find it surprising that your SS pearls have a sharp sheen. Mine have a satiny sheen. Yours must look so divine!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nacrelover,

I can just imagine how easy it would be to lose those clear acrylic backs - goodness knows how many times I have dropped my contact lenses in the sink while taking it out, except I have to fumble blindly for it!

Phoenix|1353421695|3310955 said:

I kept checking the Pearls forum and didn't see your thread. I turned away a min or two and here you are, lol! :))

LUUUURRVE your new pearls, GF!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I find it surprising that your SS pearls have a sharp sheen. Mine have a satiny sheen. Yours must look so divine!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Phoenix,

thanks! I am still on the fence about the size - I love love love the sheen, but I do wonder if it is just a tad large for everyday wear!

I hope life with Holly has been fab so far - thanks to you now I am wondering if I should go round instead :naughty:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love BIG pearl earrings! I dress mine up or down. Whatz not to love???

Your necklace is devine. Enjoy!

cheers--Shaorn

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexiszoe|1353433908|3311124 said:
Nacrelover,

I can just imagine how easy it would be to lose those clear acrylic backs - goodness knows how many times I have dropped my contact lenses in the sink while taking it out, except I have to fumble blindly for it!

Phoenix|1353421695|3310955 said:

Phoenix,

thanks! I am still on the fence about the size - I love love love the sheen, but I do wonder if it is just a tad large for everyday wear!

I hope life with Holly has been fab so far - thanks to you now I am wondering if I should go round instead :naughty:

Well, Alexis, I love love love big bling, you know that! :wink2: :tongue: As long as they're comfortable, who's to say they're not for *everyday wear*?! :naughty: :devil:

Life with Holly has been great, but I've had to send her back to Leon for re-sizing. My fingers have swollen a bit, prob due to the humidity and ....ahem...a bit too much booze, lol! :naughty: (reminder to self: must cut down!! :wink2: ). I miss her sooo much and I also miss my studs. Did you see my other thread, where I mention I am sans studs at the moment.?! :nono: ;(

I totally LURVE RB's, maybe it's the accountant in me, but I'd hate to spend a huge chunk of change on a diamond and watch it NOT change in value whilst everyone's bling does. I love pears, you know that. But they just don't go up in value and initially when I wanted to sell my pear ring back, I encountered a LOT of resistance, both from the initial vendor as well as everyone else. I know an ering is supposed to be forever but I'd hate to see the value of my ring stand-still whilst everyone else's diamonds climb through the roof! :knockout:

I guess I am more pragmatic and more of a realist than I am a romantic! :-o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results