shape
carat
color
clarity

How much for custom platinum setting??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ctuccikaufman

Rough_Rock
I am having a three stone ring custom made in platinum. The weight is .4 ounces (I think this is equivalent to 8.56 grams of platinum). The jeweler is charging $1700 to make the mold, cast it and set the stones. Is this too high of a price? The band is not very intricate, but is tension set...Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
1.gif

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I hesitated earlier to answer this,hoping a consumer or two would chime in, but I see some time has passed and nada.

Its an impossible question to answer without seeing the finished product and knowing your satisfaction level with it.

If it turns out fabulous and looks perfect in every way... then it is a bargain.

If it turns out mediocre or worse, for something as important as this is to most people,
well then you paid too much.

My advice, be sure you love it before you take it home.

Clarify all guarantees in writing.

Be sure the center diamond is fully insured for any potential loss.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mold... for tension setting ?
39.gif
can tension settings be cast
38.gif
I didn't think so
33.gif

How does it look ? Anything like one of the GA settings with accent stones ? (see this link for some of them)

ctuccikaufman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the info. Any idea as to what paltinum should cost per gram???

FYI - the stone is set similar to the link you provided, but I guess it is more of an open bottom bar setting.?.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sorry, but it is not that easy.

If you are buying platinum coins, yes, then price per weight is the standard.

In jewelry, it comes down to the quality of wormanship, especially with platinum which is much more work intensive than gold.

The labor costs can easily surpass the metal costs in platinum designs.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/22/2005 12
6.gif
6:39 AM
Author: ctuccikaufman
Any idea as to what paltinum should cost per gram???
Like Brian, I was hoping someone else would tackle this one.

Platinum closed yesterday at $28.01/gram. There is usually a premium for buying less than 10kg at a time or for delivery from the refiner's location.

Labor to make it into a ring or to set stones into it will cost extra, sometimes a lot extra.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
If it is a tension setting, I would be more concerned about the skill of the jeweler than the cost per gram of platinum as AnA points out. However it sounds like this is more like a semi bezel made to look like a faux tension setting.

If this is the case, then $1700 seems like an average retail price for that. Personally I''d look for something a little more competitive while making sure that the quality and finish are high.

If you want a bencmark, why don''t you get a quote from Michael E or Whiteflash? You can search and see samples of their work in the SMTR forum. I think Brian K could make it for you as well. I''d like to see some of his work posted here. I don''t believe I''ve come across it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results