shape
carat
color
clarity

Difficult calculation, who can fill in the blanks?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fishy

Rough_Rock

A single diamond e-ring 0.42 E VVS1

Tiffany''s with classic setting: US4557.00
A local famous shop with normal design and 18k white gold: US$ 2152

Who can fill in the blanks?

1. Tiffany''s Classic setting platnium - ShopA''s normal design and 18k white gold = US$___
2. Tiffany''s classic cutting - ShopA''s cutting = US$___ (I am a newbie, they looks similar, but I want some expert''s advise)
3. Tiffany''s brand image - ShopA''s brand image = US$___

BTW, what''s the cutting style tiffany''s classic e-ring using?
Those question are important to make the decision, agree?
thanks.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fishy,

Welcome.
As you’ve discovered, it’s remarkably difficult to parse the deal. I’ll try to take each question individually but they’re very related..

Tiffany's Classic setting platnium - ShopA's normal design and 18k white gold = US$___

Most of the expense of a ring is in the workmanship, the design, the warranty, the brand image and similar areas that are difficult to measure, not in the metal content. Some jewelers do better work than others, and the best are rarely the least expensive but it’s really impossible to give a straight answer to this question. Rings can range from about $100-$150 for a basic ‘solitaire’ style design up to thousands for handmade platinum pieces from certain designers. See question #3.

Tiffany's classic cutting - ShopA's cutting = US$___ (I am a newbie, they looks similar, but I want some expert's advise
)

Tiffany does a pretty nice job of cutting but there are certainly others who do lovely work as well. ShopA is a complete unknown in your questions so, as with the above, I can’t really answer the question. Read through the various online tutorials about cut grading diamonds and the difference is between a good cut and a bad one. It can make a considerable difference in the price as well as the look of the stone. Choosing the correct dealer can be important in the shopping experience as well as with the support afterwards but it’s not the dealer that makes it a good diamond. Well cut diamonds can be bought for less than either budget you’ve presented (at least in the US), but there may be other issues that are important to you.

Tiffany's brand image - ShopA's brand image = US$___

Tiffany’s brand stands for quite a few things including consistent high quality products, beautiful showrooms, ability to name-drop and many other attributes that can be quite valuable to customers. Tiffany’s customer are paying a premium and they know it. ShopA has a similar list of what their name stands for. It might include warranties, financing, trade-up programs, convenience, support for your local community and a variety of other possible benefits. I presume by the phrasing of the question that you feel ShopA has a less valuable brand image than Tiffs but this may not always be the case. How much these differ will depend on what you count as important. As with most things, the best dealers with the best ‘bundle of benefits’ are rarely the cheapest. Dealers are normally eager to explain to you why you should be shopping with them instead of their competition. Listen to the pitch. Deciding what is important to you, and what is not, is part of the shopping process.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2005 86:49 AM
Author:fishy

A single diamond e-ring 0.42 E VVS1

Tiffany's with classic setting: US4557.00
A local famous shop with normal design and 18k white gold: US$ 2152
How about these numbers:

$1500-$1800 for handmade platinum solitaire (probably better than the brand; acurate copies of the Tiffany setting cost
about $1000 anyway)
$1300 for tops H&A diamond
... no idea of shipping and extras, forget about tax, and something at least as nice as Tiffany's but probably better comes out 3k or so - Pricescope special nonetheless
10.gif

Meaning you pay Tiffany $1500 to tell everyone how great your ring is even if they could not tell a perfect ring from trampled coke can. That's what "brand recognition" does, I think. If brands (in general) are better for anything else, let me know
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results