shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a fake -- and replacing it later??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

almostengaged

Rough_Rock
My BF and I have been looking for rings, but we don''''t have much money to spend right now... So, to take the pressure off finding something cheap but also beautiful, we''''ve been considering setting a CZ (or some other simulation diamond) in a "real" band rather than a genuine diamond. Once we''''ve saved up enough money, then we''''ll replace the CZ with our chosen diamond. Our reasoning is that then we can take our time to find the best diamond we can afford, without rushing it and buying something we regret later. Here are some questions we have for you "experts" out there:

Does anybody have any tips as to how we actually go about getting a CZ set in a "real" setting?
Should we buy the setting online, and then take it to a jewelers and get a CZ put in?
Do any online vedors actually sell "real" setting with CZ already set in them?
Should I go to a local store instead of buying online?
Will it be a problem down the road when we want to replace it with a diamond???

Any help would be hugely helpful -- my BF and I are so new at this!!!

Thanks!!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Most stores use crystals or CZ in their display settings. I don't think a store would have a problem givign you the stone if you buy that setting.

Or, check a dept store. Some costume jewelry looks pretty nice.

An e-ring is just a symbol anyways. The only thing you'll have to decide on is what if people ask you specs about the ring? Are you gonna feel comfortable lying or telling them it's a fake? Or would you rather just get a small stone and let people know you'll upgrade later?

Good luck. Love is more important than the ring anyways.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I''d contact Wink. He''s a regular at this...I think it''s a perfectly fine idea! I just wouldn''t go crazy and get a huge stone that you''ll have a heck of a time replacing :). I''d keep it smaller than you''d like to go and then upgrade later. How about going for a sapphire in a real band...and then you can upgrade to a diamond later? A sapphire is a traditional stone for e-rings too!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t go into debt for a diamond if you can''t afford it. it''s not a good start to a marriage. i see no problem with buying a setting you like a putting a cz into it. wink jones has some really nice looking cz''s. he has two different websites: www.winkjones.com and www.freecz.com he is very professional and i would highly reccomend him.
if you do get a cz, i would suggest not buying anything bigger than what you might normally be able to afford.....smaller may be more believable. don''t worry about people asking about specs. most people just want to know the size. good luck!
do you have a picture of the setting?

almostengaged

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the great advice... We were thinking of getting a CZ that is the same size as the diamond we will eventually buy, just so we don''t have to explain ourselves later. But in terms of the setting, we definitely want it to be "real" (i.e. platinum or white gold). So, in your opinions, is it best to buy a setting online, and then go to a local jewelry store to put in a CZ? Or can some online vendors sell quality setting with CZs? Or is it best just to purchase everything from a local store?? Any ideas???

PS - The setting we''re interested in is the classic Tiffany solitaire -- I just love the way the diamond sits so low in the ring, and how the ring seems to "hug" the diamond.... I know it''s not very original, but hey, I like simplicity!!

Tiffany style ring.jpg

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
I don''t really have advice on where to get a nice CZ -- but I did want to say that I really really respect and like your idea. There is nothing at all wrong with going ahead with the setting you love, but substituting a CZ until you can afford the diamond you want. It''s a MUCH better idea, I think, then putting any kind of money into a low quality diamond just because it''s all you can afford. AND going into debt for a diamond is just not a good way to start things off.

Someone here suggested Wink -- I think he''s supposed to really know his stuff in this category. If I were you I would want a really good looking CZ. I don''t know anything about them, but I''m sure there''s a lot of variation, just like with real diamonds. Good luck!! and just because it''s a CZ doesn''t mean we don''t want to see the finished product on Show me the Ring!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

One of my relatives did this. Her and her fiance purchased a white gold three-stone setting with a CZ center stone and diamond side stones (the side stones are about .15 each). A regular jeweler put this ring together for her.

Keep in mind that CZs don't hold up like diamonds. The cz in this woman's ring is worn looking. After a few months it had lost the crisp look that diamond faceting tends to have and after six months it looked sort of trashed
7.gif
. You're just not going to be able to pass this stone off as a diamond for years!

But, as far as CZs go, the best I've ever seen are Wink's interlap stones (as everyone's recommended). These are CHEAP. I paid $10 for a 1 carat RB and it's gorgeous! With this reasonable price, replacing the stones as needed is much more affordable. I'd highly recommend checking out these. . .

http://www.freecz.com/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results