shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Finding Antique Setting for Large Stone

univoftexasbabe

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

PS newbie here but I read the forums all the time. I have just recieved my engagement ring. My fiance and I purchased a 2.4 carat round brilliant diamond (somewhere just below 9 mm). I really want to set this stone in an antique ring mounting. I have a strong preference for an actual antique mounting, and not just a repro.

I have not had any luck finding something for a larger stone online. I have looked at NYestatejewelry.com, Dover, Fay Cullen, etc. All the mountings are for small diamonds. Does anyone have any advice? I would prefer something Art Deco, with sapphires. Would prefer to spend under $1K, especially if the sapphires are synthetic. I did fond one setting on JbEG but felt that it was overpriced because the stones were synthetic sapphires and it was still $1700. I would appreciate any advice!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
What metal do you prefer? If platinum, it may be difficult to find a setting at a retailer for that price. However, there are super deal finders here on PS. I would be very nervous to go Ebay for a setting, sight unseen. But with guidance, there are a lot of good deals to be had. However, I would personally pay a little more to have a vendor who is reputable and would be able to set the stone for me as well.

Hopefully someone can chime in to help a little bit more. There is always a ring for every budget. It is just about finding it.

Have you checked out www.antiqueengagementrings.com..

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You could also try Marlene Harris, but read the return policy carefully. I've seen some not so positive reviews, but since you're looking for something so specific (i.e. original mounting for a larger stone, with sapphires), you can't leave any stone (no pun intended) unturned.

http://www.marleneharriscol.com/categories/EngagementRingMountings.html

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
Babe, I'm in almost exactly the same boat, though my stone is a bit smaller than yours at about 7mm. I've been looking for a couple of years at this point, and have had some great advice given to me by PSers, and it looks like custom is possibly the best way to go. I can't find antique mountings for even a 7mm, so I'm sure yours would be even more rare. I'm really leaning towards Single Stone for the high quality of their handmade jewelry, but it's pretty expensive. Please post things or websites when you find them - I'd love to see what you find and maybe benefit from your research. Good luck, I'll bet it's a beautiful stone.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi texasbabe, it would help if you list the metal type you prefer as that's a tight price point for a platinum antique setting I think. Have you checked Firenze Jewels? They have a large selection of vintage settings http://www.firenzejewels.com/diamond-jewelry/antique-style-engagement-ring-settings/. Look at products #5321 and #2365. Just ask the head be made to accommodate the size of your diamond, ask what the price would be for sapphire sidestones instead of diamonds and/or 18k/14k/ gold. Best of luck!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
In the 20's, it was a novelty to have new fangled
synthetic sapphires (or onyx or rubies). It's not necessarily a bad thing.
Think of it as an artifact from the era. You'd be a guardian of some history not someone
who has a " less than " version of the real thing. If you love the setting, don 't let this bother you. I tried on a vintage 3 carat last week with synthetic emerald accents.
It was about as lovely as you could get, and $30,000. :twirl:

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Saturn Jewels makes beautiful repros (I know, repros) or I 'd wander around in the nearest big ciy's jewelry district next time you vacation. NYC of course you could find something in a day...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you have the patience, what you can do is troll ebay for settings from the appropriate period set with colored stones around the size of your diamond, and have them removed. I got the idea from Little Grey Kitten, who found an AMAZING Deco setting for her 3.5 carat transitional. If had originally contained a bezel-set amethyst: she took it to her bench and had it hammered out and restored, et voila! Gorgeous period-appropriate setting.

I did the same thing, and got a box setting containing a sapphire with french-cut calibrated sapphires down the sides ... but in the time it took to arrive, I sort of fell in love with the setting my diamond had come in. So now, I alternate. But I paid, if I remember correctly, less than $500, so it CAN be done.

sapphire_baby_ring_026.jpg

sapphire_baby_ring_027.jpg

sapphire_baby_ring_031.jpg

sapphire_baby_ring_032.jpg

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Circe you're the bomb! So good at finding things.
Domina Musica, same boat as well. 8.4 mm-8.66 mm...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results