shape
carat
color
clarity

McGuire Air Force Base

I know some of you are current and former military spouses or members of the military yourselves. DH just got assigned McGuire AFB to fly the KC-10s. Do any of you have any insight on what it's like there? Should we live on base or off base?

I know it's a long shot, but I was hoping someone on here might be in the know! We are so excited to move to a new and totally different place!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I don't have experience with that particular base, but in all the places we've been stationed (FL, WA, CA), we always prefer to get a place off-base that's less than BAH. After rent and utilities, we only pocket about $50 left over from BAH, which isn't a lot, but it's better than nothing. Also, we enjoy living out in town and being able to separate work life from home life.

I have a friend that's an ATC stationed at McGuire... she lives on base and hates it, but that's primarily because of her neighbors (drunk "kids" partying all the time).

Just out of curiosity, where are you guys stationed now? I don't think there are too many of us here on the boards, so I like "meeting" other spouses :)

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, I don't have any advice or knowledge about the base. Every once and a while there will be an AFB near the army base we are at, but we haven't been stationed near NJ/NY...yet. Lol.

I am the same as sonnyjane, we have always lived off base and made a little $ off of the BAH. This PCS was the first time we lived on post, and I am actually enjoying it for the most part. Our move to AL is very temporary, so we decided to go on post since it was quicker and easier. We aren't making money off or BAH, but I am enjoying our home and it is nice being close to the PX and commissary.

I bet you and your husband will have a great time at your new base! I am a little jealous, we still have about 6 months until we PCS, and I am ready to get out of AL! Lol

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
A guy I used to date (many, many moons ago) was stationed at McGuire. He and all his friends lived off-base; there are dozens of apartment complexes around that mainly cater to military members. I believe it's a joint base so the landlords/property management companies there are more than accustomed to military families. I never went to the base itself, but ex-bf said it was less than 10 minutes between there and the apartment. The area around McGuire isn't all that interesting, from what I remember -- it's very suburban with lots of apartment complexes and strip malls -- but it's pretty close to Philly, not too much further to New York, and a fairly short drive to the shore. Sorry I don't remember much more about it, I didn't go there very often and it was a long time ago so my memory is pretty spotty. But good luck and I think you will be fine!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
We are currently at Vance, in the beautiful town of Enid, Oklahoma... We are definitely excited to be exploring a new and totally different area. I was hoping we would be able to afford to live off base-- after looking at BAH and Zillow, I think we should be more than OK.

What do your husbands do in the AF? Where are you currently stationed and how much time is left in your commitment?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1345590874|3255068 said:
We are currently at Vance, in the beautiful town of Enid, Oklahoma... We are definitely excited to be exploring a new and totally different area. I was hoping we would be able to afford to live off base-- after looking at BAH and Zillow, I think we should be more than OK.

What do your husbands do in the AF? Where are you currently stationed and how much time is left in your commitment?

My husband is a Navy EOD Tech. We are currently stationed in San Diego and have three years left on this contract. That will put hubby at 12 years which... as you know...is more than half way to retirement so he will likely be a "lifer" and do 20 if I can have any say in it. He is honestly pretty miserable (he just made Chief which comes with tons of bureaucratic duties of which he's not a fan), but if he can retire with a pension and lifetime benefits we will be set for early retirement, so I'm hoping I can convince him to tough it out if he's not TOOOO unhappy. For EOD techs there aren't too many possibilities of bases - it's San Diego, Norfolk, VA, or Rota, Spain. Since budgets are being cut, they are reluctant to move people unless absolutely necessary so I'm hoping to stay here in sunny San Diego for a long time to come!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1345590874|3255068 said:

My hubby Warrent Officer in the Army and is training to be a helicopter pilot. In fact, next wednesday we find out what airframe he gets, we are very excited! Then it will be about six months until we move far, far away from Ft Rucker, AL....yay! Fingers crossed, we will be moving to Ft Campbell in KY/TN. :bigsmile:

He currently has 9 years in, and we are planning on doing the full 20, possibly more dependi on what promotions are available at that time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results