shape
carat
color
clarity

bought a ring with 2 oecs that want to be earrings

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
pics to follow maybe tomorrow!

I bought a ring on ebay with 2 oecs or omcs. My friend says it looks like two eyes! Anyway, I'd love to turn them into earrings.

Who would you have do this? Should I have the stones certed by egl first? Can I pull them out of the setting myself?

My local jeweler wants to do platinum stuller scroll settings, but I don't love them, and doubt I can afford them in platinum, especially from him (very expensive place). I sometimes have problems with white gold and was thinking of yellow, but he thought that would make then stones look yellow.

So, not sure - he thought they were about 0.50ct each.

Advice? Thanks.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about palladium settings? If ou don't love the settings, I'd go as inexpensively as possible so it's affordable when you find something that you love.

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
I hadn't thought about palladium. Will consider that! Thx.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not the same vendor as the other ring?

I'd go for simple inexpensive settings, as Rhea suggested, until you decide what you like. Who knows - they could end up being perfect in whatever you choose!!

Can't wait for the pics!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
OK, here are BAD pics lol! Taken indoors with my phone. And SO FILTHY, sorry! I'd love a recommendation on someone REASONABLE to send it to to set them... Or a place I can order settings from? Is this something easy (basket type setting) that any local jeweler can handle?

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any local jeweler can set them for you.

You only need a lab report if you plan to insure them or resell them.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

Those definitely are begging to be set loose from that ring setting! Either that, or they need a bra :bigsmile:!

Setting as earrings ought to be something almost any jeweler can do, I would think.

liz

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I think of breasts, lol! And no, different vendor!

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
LibbyLA|1337034468|3195150 said:
lucyruth,

Those definitely are begging to be set loose from that ring setting! Either that, or they need a bra :bigsmile:!

Setting as earrings ought to be something almost any jeweler can do, I would think.

liz

LOL. They do look like boobs. :lol:

I see from your other post you're probably returning the ring.

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
keeping this ring, returning the other "double" ring!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Need a bra!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one! I also thought of a bug's eyes!

I would think any local jeweller would be able to unset/reset in a setting of your choice. But.. I'd also suggest going with someone who has a decent reputation. We all have had a bad experience that leaves a bad taste... they look like nice diamonds, so go with someone you feel good about and has some experience. I still get irritated thinking about the 2 shops I've given business to that messed up stuff, until I found the more expensive, but more reliable store downtown.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ha, what a funky ring! The stones look pretty though. Have you considered Etsy to set your earrings? Daniel M does very good quality work for a reasonable amount of money. It would probably cost more than buying the most standard settings from a catalog and getting a jeweler to set them, but if you're willing to pay a little more, it make a good quality piece. Have fun! Can't wait to see these stones clean and out of their booby-trap :lol:

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, no, I didn't think of etsy - I guess I've always associated etsy with hammered silver wire and such... but I will definitely look into it! Thank you for the suggestion.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a link to silver bezel stud earrings: http://www.etsy.com/listing/63127327/rainbow-bezel-earrings

You might want to look through this shop's Sold section -- they do tons of custom orders and are one of the most popular Etsy craftsmen in the Colored Stones sections of PS. This means you'll probably have to wait about a month to get your earrings done, but I think it's worth it.

Ok, I'm gonna stop shamelessly advertising them now ::)

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought of DanielM too. I just contacted them recently and their prices have gone up quite a bit, so I'm not going with them for inexpensive stones but defnitely would recommend them for diamond earrings.

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
OK I love the perfection of his stuff... not many examples in gold but what I've seen there is beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results